Loaning Benayoun to Arsenal...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think my issue here is that he was by far the best player for us in pre-season, what kind of message does it send when you can perform so well but still dont get selected

 
I think my issue here is that he was by far the best player for us in pre-season, what kind of message does it send when you can perform so well but still dont get selected
Agreed. In pre-season there were 2 players that stood out for me- Yossi and Struridge. I was happy that after a bad injury Yossi would be fully fot and raring to go for this season, his pre-season form showed he has in his locker exactly what we need. I am not necesarily saying he would make or break our season but along with Josh I would have been happy that we had options for the creative midfield position if we didn't land Modric (which we obvioulsy didn't). Reducing those options to just Josh (who I would love to see get more game time but so far this season has played no part if I am not mistaken?) just does not seem a beneficial move which ever way I look at it....

 
Shows how far Arsenal have fallen, when we're treating them like a Bolton or a Wigan...Its almost like we're doing them a favour, and at least they are giving Benayoun plenty of game time....

Anyway he can't play against us, and hopefully he'll have his best games against City and ManU...

 
Last edited by a moderator:
hmmmmm I think by far the most rediclous of the summer was Modric... any half decent agent of any up and coming young player will not do business with this man going forward if he stops progression of their players to bigger clubs... wlecome to big continential buy out clauses, great !! and how does Modric feel, 40M to a champions league squad missed.....

I wish we had sold Yossi but then again if he shines at Arsenal we can have him back.....but no great loss at all, and to be honest our new number 10 is Mata so he would have played a bit part... ( I know Mata is seen as a winger but to 20 mins he played at the weekend, he looked more like that number 10 we need to me, played all over the pitch)

All in all lets not lose sight, this is a very very strong squad underperforming if the first 3 matches are to go by ... over to you AVB.

 
He's been sent on loan because with the Raul deal he wouldn't of made the 25 man squad and no point having his wages on the book if he's just going to play in the reserves. We have 26 players right now the extra is Essien who won't be registered until January which means i think we are going to be active again because somebody needs to go out and i think i could see two players leaving maybe not both sold but i think we will buy another creative midfielder in January with the freed up space and it could very well be Modric. I'm happy for McEachran!
Essien could be registered right now no problems, because we'd only have 17 non-HG's including him. Benayoun could have been kept till January so I can't really explain the loan deal myself. It seems ridiculous. But its done. I'm moving on. All I'll say is, we have again proven ourselves to be the most generous club in the world. Take that Madrid!

 
My problem with it it's not that we let go of Benayoun in particular. Barca, Real or MU can afford to sell or loan someone like Yossi because they have better and younger players that can do what he does. I could only think of Mata that offers the same in our squad. But what happens if he's injured, suspended, off form or simply needs some rest?

We were desperate for any sort of pace and creativity in the midfield and wide areas for years. When Mata arrived I was ecstatic because it felt like a sign of things to come. Instead, we shipped out our second most creative midfielder on loan to our rivals. It's incomprehensible. Subtracting in the area where we need adding.

 
Barak you know I have shared your sentiments on Sturridge for a longtime and was one of those, (along with Star and a few others), who argued he should've had Kalou's spot last season. However, I must confess I am not one of those who creams himself over Josh just yet. Yes, he has genuine ability, (his first touch and passing in particular), and fantastic potential, but I think the club are doing the right thing with him at the moment by progressing him slowly. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he went on loan this season and, in this case, I think that may be the right move. Also, from what I have watched, I don't view him in the Gazza mould at all. I haven't seen Josh pick up the ball and dribble past players ala' Gascoigne at his best.
I have seen him on a number of occations just gosht away from people, no tricks, no step overs just body faints and moving the ball at the right time, the kind of thing you cant teach.

On his development, I'm anxiouse because of the tallent I have seen us missmanage over the last 10 years. To most notable players that i know you agree with me on, forsell and sincalre. I think they ended up suffering from going out on loan so much and having no faith showen in them. Admitadly the former has never fully recoverd from the injuries he suffered but still convinced Sinclare could have done a job for us givent the chance. Josh has more about him and would be very disapointed to see us missmanage him

 
He better not be eligible to play against us. As I said before, I just don't understand why he wanted to jump ship, and what about the ambition when he first joined us.

 
I hope this isn't one of those "you can loan him and we'll pay his wages" deals. That would make this even more stupid.

 
Who needs Benayoun when you have Mata for you guys?

Both tricky little players, Mata will maybe offer you that Robben feel which you haven't had for a long time. Then again, I'm not sure if he's a winger (Cuts inside) or a attacking midfielder.

 
He better not be eligible to play against us. As I said before, I just don't understand why he wanted to jump ship, and what about the ambition when he first joined us.
He wanted to jump ship because he wasn't going to get an opportunity here especially with Meireles coming in. And once Essien is back, he's even further down the pecking order. I believe he would have more opportunities last season but he was injured for many months as well.

What I don't get, like many others, is why we let him go when he is one of the most creative midfielders we have? He's completely healthy now and since he's here, why not give him a chance? I just have faith in AVB that he has his reasons and we'll be better for it.

 
Who needs Benayoun when you have Mata for you guys?

Both tricky little players, Mata will maybe offer you that Robben feel which you haven't had for a long time. Then again, I'm not sure if he's a winger (Cuts inside) or a attacking midfielder.
And what if Mata gets hurt? I realize we can only have 25, but Yossi could have filled a few roles. With that said, he'll be filling those roles at Arsenal this year and not Chelsea.

 
I think Arsenal have the chance to buy at the end of the loan but if they don't, his value would have decreased by some amount when we try to sell him next year

 
He wanted to jump ship because he wasn't going to get an opportunity here especially with Meireles coming in. And once Essien is back, he's even further down the pecking order. I believe he would have more opportunities last season but he was injured for many months as well.

What I don't get, like many others, is why we let him go when he is one of the most creative midfielders we have? He's completely healthy now and since he's here, why not give him a chance? I just have faith in AVB that he has his reasons and we'll be better for it.
Why would he not have got an oppertunity?? We need an attacking playmaker, we still do even after signig Meireles in my opinion.

That is half my problem with it - we did not need Meireles as much as we needed Yossi in terms of where they play and what they bring to the team. Obvioulsy I will trust that AVB knows what teams he is looking to build and decided Meireles was needed more but looking at it in terms of the fact we desperately need craetivity I would say Yossi holds more value to us.

And as for Essien- would Yossi and Essien ever be competing directly for a midfield slot?

 
Why would he not have got an oppertunity?? We need an attacking playmaker, we still do even after signig Meireles in my opinion.

That is half my problem with it - we did not need Meireles as much as we needed Yossi in terms of where they play and what they bring to the team. Obvioulsy I will trust that AVB knows what teams he is looking to build and decided Meireles was needed more but looking at it in terms of the fact we desperately need craetivity I would say Yossi holds more value to us.

And as for Essien- would Yossi and Essien ever be competing directly for a midfield slot?
Look at the first three matches. We do need an attacking playmaker, did you see Yossi out there? No. So AVB sees something different than what we see. He is the manager, we are not. I won't disagree with you but it was clear in my eyes that AVB didn't rate Yossi or he would have been out there.

Yossi and Essien would only be competing to be on the 25-man squad.

 
And as for Essien- would Yossi and Essien ever be competing directly for a midfield slot?
That depends. The fully fit and functioning "monster" Essien of two seasons ago would be the first name on the team sheet. Sadly, given his injuries since then, we may never see that player again.

 
Im glad everyone here is so perplexed. This decision went beyond any kind of "the club know what theyre doing rationale".

After his preseason, I wanted to see what Yossi could do here. When given hte chance for the dippers he occasionally excelled and scored some vital goals. Yet we paid 5m last summer, saw him get injured, and now seem to feel comfortable recouping none of our investment for success on the field.

I'm wondering, maybe we have an option to recall. In January for instance.
We must have that option, for sure, especilaly with the ACN, Essien being injured. Etc. I considered another possibility that this is part of a larger scheme with Arsenal.

Positive fictional scenario: Seeing the mass exodous at his club, we decided to make quiet inquiries about one of Arsenal's youngsters or RVP. Maybe said player got wind of it, and in a summer of change, decided they wanted to follow Fabregas and Nasri out the door. Maybe we were trying to negociate this, and helping them out with Yossi helped us get some kind of gentleman's agreement down that we would have the first option when they agree to sell the player. Considering that would be shameful for a club of their stature, anhd would have the fans in revolt, I doubt it.

The nightmare scenario: By some miracle this modest amount of spending by Arsenal, and these 3-4 veterans wenger has brought in, inspire the young kids, and sparks their season to life. They go on a tear, Yossi being a big part of it. We recall him in January, but Arteta comes back fit and firing, and Arsenal maintain the challenge and go all the way in a domestic cup, or heaven forbid, win the league. Their young generation, having matured overnight, go on to year after year of success. Again, equally unlikely, but Chelsea wouldve helped them get a leg up.

Basically, like all of you, I wonder what exactly the hell this club gets out of helping one of their hated rivals. A team that, with a little reinforcement, could be fighting with us for trophies. A team that beat us 3-1 last year. This doesnt strike me as charity, it strikes me as arrogance and and carelessness.

 
Shows how far Arsenal have fallen, when we're treating them like a Bolton or a Wigan...Its almost like we're doing them a favour, and at least they are giving Benayoun plenty of game time....

Anyway he can't play against us, and hopefully he'll have his best games against City and ManU...
Yes, but in reality they arent that far down. By doing this, we are discounting them completely as a possible trophy winner this year. And frankly that is dangerous and dumb because Wenger has broken the mold by buying experience, and given their talent it could make them a much better and more dangerous side.

Yossi is not a young player who we are going to have for years to come. We are not doing ourselves a long term favor by getting him minutes under Wenger. He will probably be back next summer, and moved on to Italy or Spain for peanuts and that will be that.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top