Loaning Benayoun to Arsenal...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Typical of recent years dealings, that's all I can say.

 
On the surface it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. He was one of our most impressive players in pre-season, and by my calculation we are one injury to Mata away from being back to square one.

The good thing about it being a loan is that we can get him back next season.

I think most would have preferred Kalou to leave if anyone. Not that I dislike Kalou but he is most like the options we already have, Benayoun is something different.

But as I say, that is only my view on the surface of the transfer. The devil is always in the details. The good thing about the week after deadline day is that everyone writes about why the deals happened, and why they didn't. Always makes for interesting reading.

 
I'm wondering, maybe we have an option to recall. In January for instance.

 
I agree with G4 on that one (disagree on Meireles' criticism, I think he'll do well for us).

Lack of pace and creativity was always our biggest problem and now we decided to loan out one of the very few players who has that skill set to one of our rivals.

It's a ridiculous move. If we needed to move players out I could think of a few that could have been sent on their way instead.

 
I'd be interested to see if anyone can put a positive spin on this whole arrangement. For me there's no logic to it at all. It's not as if Yossi is a disruptive influence, a crap player or a major burden on the wage bill, so I have no idea why we'd be that desperate to get rid of him without even buying a replacement. And if he wanted out, well, tough, that's no reason to just give him away. If he'd gone on loan to Bolton or Newcastle it might have made more sense, but there's no reason why we should be doing Arsenal favours.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Bizzare move.

With Arteta going to Arsenal, I can't see Yossi being anything more than a bench player for them. So, basically all we have done is weaken our bench and strengthen Arsenal's bench.

Offloading Yossi as part of the Modric deal would have made perfect sense as they are similar players, but as we ended up getting Meriles, who is a fantastic player but not the same type of midfielder as Modric/Yossi.

I guess maybe the club is thinking that if he puts in a few good performances for the arse, then we might get a few million for him in January.

 
If his history is anything to go by, it will be another trophyless reason for Arsenal. I have nothing against the guy, but I just can't see why he's not happy here. He was never going to be in the starting 11 week in week out, we played him before and after his injury, and now he's fed up with us? Since he's going to Arsenal, not going to wish him well. Oh wait, he will be back next year, damn it :rolleyes:

 
More I think about this guys, I think it might be a wages thing. That is something we really wanted to do this summer, but none of the big earners Anelka, Drogba, Malouda could be budged. Yossi's wages wouldn't be insignificant and if he was willing to go elsewhere then we felt it best to make that sacrifice.

 
I think he might have been moved to give McEachran more games. We need a backup to our central midfielders/AMC position, and if Benayoun moves, the only natural successor to Mata in terms of creativity is McEachran. I dunno, but that seems the most logical explanation to this move, even if I'd rather have kept him.

 
I might be answering your question by asking this one (and I really dont know because I am too lazy too look it up)

Did we have space on the squad for a non homegrown to bring Raul in without moving Yossi out? The only way this makes sense is if it was to make space for new signings.

 
I think Yossi Benayoun has gone to Arsenal to revive his career. He will undoubtedly get first team games at the Emirates, if he can keep of the physio table :laugh2:

Glad we didn't get Yossi Benayoun back, he's getting on (now 31).

 
Benayoun is a very tricky midfielder. He SHould flourish at the Emirates.

 
Barry we did have one space. We could have technically kept both until January when Essien would be fit to be registered.

 
I might be answering your question by asking this one (and I really dont know because I am too lazy too look it up)

Did we have space on the squad for a non homegrown to bring Raul in without moving Yossi out? The only way this makes sense is if it was to make space for new signings.
That's what I was assuming, but with Essien coming back in 3 months we just loaned him now.

I don't think Arsenal are going to be a threat to us this season, but maybe Yossi will pop up and score some vital goals against the Manchester clubs and the Dippers. He can't play against us obviously.

I do like him, sad to see him go, wish him the best.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
modric could have helped us challenge for the league and the champions league.

I don't think meireles can do that.

without any signings today we'd be unlikely to not finish in the top four. so what's the point of meireles? I don't think he'd improve us that much. I cannot envisage him improving the starting 11.

as I speak, benayoun confirmed at arsenal on loan.

so we need a creative midfielder, and we sell one of the two senior ones we have, and try to sign yet another box to box player? and he's hardly the kind of player to improve us in any meaningful way.

what next? 8m on a keeper?

oh.
I understand what you're saying G4, I just don't think Meireles is as bad as you're making out. We're desparately crying for someone in the team to show creative movement and Meireles has consistently demonstrated that.

The only issue I have is with letting Yossi go. I think that's a poor decision. I would've loved to see Benayoun, Meireles and Mata playing at the same time.

 
The squad issue might be the case. Perhaps Essien is progressing better than previously thought?

The logic would be that Meireles offers similar ability to Benayoun in attacking midfield, but could also cover deeper in central midfield until Essien's return, while only taking the one squad spot.

 
And its also kind of looking down on Arsenal. A pity loan move if you will. Wenger must have begged AVB. :smile:

 
I completely agree. Instead of buying another link player between attack and defence [something we need] we got rid of one, not only to one of our biggest (and local) rivals but on loan to boot.

Doesn't make any sense at all and if it comes back to bite us in the arse (which it surely will) we'll have no one but ourselves to blame. Completely ridiculous.

 
I completely agree. Instead of buying another link player between attack and defence [something we need] we got rid of one, not only to one of our biggest (and local) rivals but on loan to boot.

Doesn't make any sense at all and if it comes back to bite us in the arse (which it surely will) we'll have no one but ourselves to blame. Completely ridiculous.
I do think we need to quash this silly idea of a "link player". All players should be involved in linking defense to attack, not just one or two, and there needs to be tactical instruction to create a system where this is possible.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top