Morgan Rogers

What is my expectation next season if we don't make any transfer. top 5.

What is my expectation next season after Palestra, Roger, Emegha, Barco, Quenda. Top 5.
Top 5 with the same players that finished 10th last season? Please explain 🤣….

 
When the news broke Saturday I was well chuffed although the fee does seem very excessive. We all know it is the Chelsea way - whatever a players value, we will pay that AND SOME. But he is a talent and I love the idea of him and Palmer combining and terrorising defences (just hope there are no truth in rumours that we have signed Rogers because palmer is on his way out). These two, plus Estevao and Pedro will be a real threat for any opponents (and just add Adam Wharton to make the killer passes and give us the PL trophy NOW..........!)

 
Famous last words from me but I don’t rate this signing. Very happy to prove me wrong but we have had our pants pulled down well and truly, good player but not particularly exceptional at anything. He wouldnt start for me if we played with 2 number 10s.

I agree it’s football and the fees are absurd, I wouldn’t have paid 80 for him. Makes Gordon’s deal to Barca look like a bargain.
Out of interest, who would start alongside Palmer as your other 10?

 
Having his medical today.

I’m excited, he’s a top player and he’s chosen Chelsea.

What’s not to like 😉

 
Out of interest, who would start alongside Palmer as your other 10?
This is just saying if we actually play his Leverkusen formation but I’d go for Palmer/Estevao as 10s, we're only playing 1 game a week and I want Estevao so start as much as possible. If Rogers starts left wing of a 4231 then fair enough but I still wouldn't have spent that much on him.

I like Rogers but that's silly money, I would have said 80m is expensive but maybe it's just me stuck in my old ways of transfer fees. I don't think most of the players going for that much warrant the fees that are going round. If he's that expensive I would have been content just getting another upcoming kid like a Nusa and then spend that sort of money on experience in the middle and centre back.

 
This is just saying if we actually play his Leverkusen formation but I’d go for Palmer/Estevao as 10s, we're only playing 1 game a week and I want Estevao so start as much as possible. If Rogers starts left wing of a 4231 then fair enough but I still wouldn't have spent that much on him.

I like Rogers but that's silly money, I would have said 80m is expensive but maybe it's just me stuck in my old ways of transfer fees. I don't think most of the players going for that much warrant the fees that are going round. If he's that expensive I would have been content just getting another upcoming kid like a Nusa and then spend that sort of money on experience in the middle and centre back.
We expect a lot from Steve but forget how young he is, he broke down last year after consecutive starts. Palmer/Steve/Rogers as your choices behind the striker is so exciting imo.

I've stopped paying too much attention to transfer fees once i saw Antony Gordon move to Barca for 80M.

 
I like Rogers but that's silly money, I would have said 80m is expensive but maybe it's just me stuck in my old ways of transfer fees. I don't think most of the players going for that much warrant the fees that are going round. If he's that expensive I would have been content just getting another upcoming kid like a Nusa and then spend that sort of money on experience in the middle and centre back.
I agree 100% the fees going around now are ridiculous and not a true reflection of a players ability anymore, what would Super Frank have been worth in today’s market!

The easiest way to view it though is how it ‘amortises’. He’s a 24M signing every summer for the next 5 years, and at that, he’s a bargain.

Issue with signing a Nusa or similar just because they’re cheaper now remains they don’t instantly improve us like Rogers does, for every Estevao we hit gold on there’s a Washington, a DD Fofana, a Paez, a Gittens and an Angelo to go with.

I think Alonso is football smart enough to adjust his formations and lineups accordingly, he’ll know the games we can have all our best attackers on the pitch at once, JP CP Rogers & Stevie and he’ll know the games we have to sacrifice one to shore up the Defence/Midfield.

This is a good signing, young, English, PL Proven and weakens a Top 5 rival whilst strengthening ourselves.

I know we’ve all been beaten down by BlueCo over the years but take this for what it is. A good footballing move.

 
This is the one!

If you remember when PSG came sniffing around Neymar Barcelona put some random arbitrary figure of £200m believing no team would ever pay that.

Then when PSG said 'Ok, £200m, we'll pay that' then Barcelona tried to go to court to get the transfer cancelled.

If Barcelona had said 'He's not for sale for any price' then it mighted of slowed down the transfer market price hikes.

Anyway, it is what it is, so any fan waiting for transfer prices to go 'back to normal' is in for a very long frustrating wait.

We could go on and on about every single transfer and argue if a club has overpaid, the bottom line is transfer fees get mentioned less the better the player performs at thier new club.

I'm prepared to see how he performs before making any judgement that we have been robbed by Villa.
Sorry it wasn’t quite like that with Neymar.

In Spain, along with Portugal clubs are obliged to have a buy out clause in their contracts. Yes Neymars was said to be €200m but once a club lodged that sum with the Spanish FA then Barcelona basically couldn’t do anything, but they tried and as was to be expected failed.

Barca couldn’t say he isn’t for sale at any price because in Spain every player has a price as it were.

As for the market going mad well I recall when Trevor Francis went to Forest as the first £1m player. At that time that was in excess of Forests annual income.

Rogers , Anderson etc costs are mad but they don’t exceed PL clubs annual incime

 
I agree 100% the fees going around now are ridiculous and not a true reflection of a players ability anymore, what would Super Frank have been worth in today’s market!

The easiest way to view it though is how it ‘amortises’. He’s a 24M signing every summer for the next 5 years, and at that, he’s a bargain.

Issue with signing a Nusa or similar just because they’re cheaper now remains they don’t instantly improve us like Rogers does, for every Estevao we hit gold on there’s a Washington, a DD Fofana, a Paez, a Gittens and an Angelo to go with.

I think Alonso is football smart enough to adjust his formations and lineups accordingly, he’ll know the games we can have all our best attackers on the pitch at once, JP CP Rogers & Stevie and he’ll know the games we have to sacrifice one to shore up the Defence/Midfield.

This is a good signing, young, English, PL Proven and weakens a Top 5 rival whilst strengthening ourselves.

I know we’ve all been beaten down by BlueCo over the years but take this for what it is. A good footballing move.
Made a profit on Angelo tbf

 
When did fans suddenly have to justify the price of player transfers. I remember Man Utd breaking the British transfer record virtually every season even on defenders and teenagers, there was never any outrage or justification despite no other club able to get close. All of a sudden we have fans embarrassed by the fees and opposition fans guilt tripping you over the cost. I've given over caring, the prices have been ridiculous since the 90s. I remember Liverpool fans moaning about the money spent the season we bought both Lavia and Caicedo then blow £250 million and Isak and Wirtz a couple of years later. All of a sudden Man Utd fans up in arms about Rogers and Anderson fees they can all f**k off too. Name me a club thats not overspent on players and I'll show you a team thats won nowt.

You can bore off with amortisation and balancing the books. Buy me some exciting players and Im happy as long as we don't go bankrupt.

Good luck to Rogers, hopefully he can live up to expectations. At least he's guaranteed to be better than the Garnacho and Gittens 'deals' we've been trapped in and we won't instantly be looking for a replacement in a years time.

 
When did fans suddenly have to justify the price of player transfers. I remember Man Utd breaking the British transfer record virtually every season even on defenders and teenagers, there was never any outrage or justification despite no other club able to get close. All of a sudden we have fans embarrassed by the fees and opposition fans guilt tripping you over the cost. I've given over caring, the prices have been ridiculous since the 90s. I remember Liverpool fans moaning about the money spent the season we bought both Lavia and Caicedo then blow £250 million and Isak and Wirtz a couple of years later. All of a sudden Man Utd fans up in arms about Rogers and Anderson fees they can all f**k off too. Name me a club thats not overspent on players and I'll show you a team thats won nowt.

You can bore off with amortisation and balancing the books. Buy me some exciting players and Im happy as long as we don't go bankrupt.

Good luck to Rogers, hopefully he can live up to expectations. At least he's guaranteed to be better than the Garnacho and Gittens 'deals' we've been trapped in and we won't instantly be looking for a replacement in a years time.
Happy to spend the money, I just don't think the player we bought warrants the money.

That's all, it's not that deep.

 
Happy to spend the money, I just don't think the player we bought warrants the money.

That's all, it's not that deep.
The way I see it is we got a player who we believe the manager wanted and for me there isnt many if any player we could realistically acquire that is better in his position so for me the price is inconsequential. Everyone's forgot about the price we paid for Torres and this will be forgot when mid table teams will be buying players for a bargain £100 million in the future. If we suddenly cant afford a centre back then fair enough but I don't see that happening.

 
The way I see it is we got a player who we believe the manager wanted and for me there isnt many if any player we could realistically acquire that is better in his position so for me the price is inconsequential. Everyone's forgot about the price we paid for Torres and this will be forgot when mid table teams will be buying players for a bargain £100 million in the future. If we suddenly cant afford a centre back then fair enough but I don't see that happening.
Yup and like I said I hope he proves me wrong. I’m of the opinion we have some quality up top anyway in Estevao, Cole and Joao and what worries me is defence and midfield. If it was me that sort of money would be used there.

Just my opinion.

 
When did fans suddenly have to justify the price of player transfers. I remember Man Utd breaking the British transfer record virtually every season even on defenders and teenagers, there was never any outrage or justification despite no other club able to get close. All of a sudden we have fans embarrassed by the fees and opposition fans guilt tripping you over the cost. I've given over caring, the prices have been ridiculous since the 90s. I remember Liverpool fans moaning about the money spent the season we bought both Lavia and Caicedo then blow £250 million and Isak and Wirtz a couple of years later. All of a sudden Man Utd fans up in arms about Rogers and Anderson fees they can all f**k off too. Name me a club thats not overspent on players and I'll show you a team thats won nowt.

You can bore off with amortisation and balancing the books. Buy me some exciting players and Im happy as long as we don't go bankrupt.

Good luck to Rogers, hopefully he can live up to expectations. At least he's guaranteed to be better than the Garnacho and Gittens 'deals' we've been trapped in and we won't instantly be looking for a replacement in a years time.
When the said fees can bankrupt the club, stop them trading in future, cause points deductions and or having former trophies/ titles taken... I think fans have every right to be critical and vocal. 120 million invested into a youth team set up will over ten years produce more talent than a club could afford to buy. 120 million would also probably allow you and you entire family to live mortgage free, feed and house our homelss population in certain cities, reduce pollution in rivers, pay for essential medical services etc...

Now, when players like Wirtz turn out to be tosh.. 100+ million, Our own dirty racist Enzo cost 100 million and turned out to be tosh, took a couple of seasons for Caicedo to turn it around for us, he cost 100 million... So forgive me for having an opinion aout a average premiership player costing us 118 million pounds and hoping it works out over the next 6 +1 seasons he here. Becuase if he flops, us fans are the ones bailing out the club, it wont be the directors who put the club into the financial black hole we are in, and becasue I dont want our club to asset strip any more to line the pockets of our scummy yanktard owners.

 
When the said fees can bankrupt the club, stop them trading in future, cause points deductions and or having former trophies/ titles taken... I think fans have every right to be critical and vocal. 120 million invested into a youth team set up will over ten years produce more talent than a club could afford to buy. 120 million would also probably allow you and you entire family to live mortgage free, feed and house our homelss population in certain cities, reduce pollution in rivers, pay for essential medical services etc...

Now, when players like Wirtz turn out to be tosh.. 100+ million, Our own dirty racist Enzo cost 100 million and turned out to be tosh, took a couple of seasons for Caicedo to turn it around for us, he cost 100 million... So forgive me for having an opinion aout a average premiership player costing us 118 million pounds and hoping it works out over the next 6 +1 seasons he here. Becuase if he flops, us fans are the ones bailing out the club, it wont be the directors who put the club into the financial black hole we are in, and becasue I dont want our club to asset strip any more to line the pockets of our scummy yanktard owners.
None of those things are happening are they though, just getting angry over made up scenarios. And yes the £15m we spent on J F Hasslbaink would have sorted me out for life but thats irrelevant.

 
Yup and like I said I hope he proves me wrong. I’m of the opinion we have some quality up top anyway in Estevao, Cole and Joao and what worries me is defence and midfield. If it was me that sort of money would be used there.

Just my opinion.
Midfield is what I'm most concerned about.

As it stands, we only have 4 first team midfielders - one of whom does not want to be here and two of whom are sick notes, one in perpetuity.

5 goalkeepers, 12 defenders (9 centre backs), 4 midfielders, 11 forwards

I'm not including Denner and Satpaev in those numbers as they aren't shown on the club website. Ditto Disasi, Paez and Datro Fofana.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top 5 with the same players that finished 10th last season? Please explain 🤣….
The last time Chelsea finished 10th, We won the league the following season with arguably the same core. There, history done it for you.

 
Back
Top