Music cover versions - where the cover improves the original

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to highjack the thread, you may carry on
icon_lol.gif


 
btw my grandaughter (1yo this month) has the middle name Valerie after my mom. So everytime that tune comes on i think of them both, and i also think of you now
icon_lol.gif
Sorry to highjack the thread, you may carry on
icon_lol.gif
Oh no, by all means, YOU carry on
icon_lol.gif


 
Fall Out Boy- Beat it, originally Michael Jackson
Original is better in my opinion, but then again, Fall Out Boy's never been my cup of tea anyway.
317.gif


 
Fall Out Boy aren't my cup of tea either but I think their cover is great, even if John Mayer butchers the guitar solo. That said it doesn't improve on the original...imo

 
Couple of other ones for consideration

1. Robert Wyatt's version of 'Shipbuilding' (I realise Mike O may piss in my cornflakes for that suggestion)

2. Tori Amos' version of 'Losing My Religion' (not sure if the version I have is on general release so most people may not have heard it)

 
Anything M.Jackson done in that early to mid 80's period would be difficult to improve on but Fall out boys version of beat it is excellent.

Cover versions annoy me generally and we had to put up with endless amounts of crap from people like Westlife in recent years but there are clever tracks over the years too. Some of the worst spring to mind such as, Girls Aloud dropping in a sample of The ELO Last train to London on a song about 3 years ago,

But 1st prize has to go to a German Euro/Dance group called Scooter and their absolutely appaling version of the Logical song . I'll go through the wifes cd collection tomorrow and dig out a few more :)

 
Knockin' on Heaven's Door by Guns n' Roses. Dylan was a great songwriter, but other people usually do his songs better than he does.

 
But 1st prize has to go to a German Euro/Dance group called Scooter and their absolutely appaling version of the Logical song .
Can you really consider it a cover? they only use the "When I was young..."part couple of times. The music and lyrics is in no way connected and it's really not done for the same crowd. One is played with sax and piano, the other on a mixing board.

 
Knockin' on Heaven's Door by Guns n' Roses. Dylan was a great songwriter, but other people usually do his songs better than he does.
I really need to change the forum rules - surely I should be allowed to ban someone for that!

Dylan sings it as if he believes in the mesage, Axl Rose sings it as if he is having a medical instrument removed via his urethral opening.

 
Knockin' on Heaven's Door by Guns n' Roses. Dylan was a great songwriter, but other people usually do his songs better than he does.
There are people who sing Dylan's songs more melodiously than he does, but nobody sings them better. Cover versions of Dylan's songs are like drinking whisky with lemonade - it may slip down more smoothly, but you don't get the fire. I'm listening to Infidels at the moment - Jokerman and Don't Fall Apart on me Tonight, to n ame but two.

 
Dylan! pah. Almost as bad as Pink Floyd :)

Say Hello, Wave Goodbye - David Gray Vast improvement on the original.

 
Dylan! pah. Almost as bad as Pink Floyd :)Say Hello, Wave Goodbye - David Gray Vast improvement on the original.
Don't you "pah" me, you young whippersnapper! Say Hello Wave Goodbye was neither a Dylan nor a Pink Floyd song, as you seem to insinuate, but a Marc Almond one. I have to say, though that I find it hard to decide whether I prefer the David Gray or the Marc Almond.

 
It Doesn't Matter Any More by Linda Ronstadt, a slowed down beautiful version of the old Buddy Holly song, from her Heart Like a Wheel album, which over 30 years later, is still probably the best album she ever recorded or ever will record.

 
I really need to change the forum rules - surely I should be allowed to ban someone for that!Dylan sings it as if he believes in the mesage, Axl Rose sings it as if he is having a medical instrument removed via his urethral opening.
I said that to my dad the other day and got a similar reaction! I just don't get Dylan's singing at all. The Byrds did Mr Tambourine Man better, Jimi Hendrix did All Along the Watchtower better. Great songwriter, but his singing is a very acquired taste (one which I haven't acquired yet!).

 
I said that to my dad the other day and got a similar reaction! I just don't get Dylan's singing at all. The Byrds did Mr Tambourine Man better, Jimi Hendrix did All Along the Watchtower better. Great songwriter, but his singing is a very acquired taste (one which I haven't acquired yet!).
It will grow on you.

 
All Along the Watchtower is the only Dylan cover version that I will happily admit is better than the original.

I know The Byrds 'Mr Tambourine Man' was popular but personally I hate it. It took what was a fantastically poetic Dylan track and turned it into elevator music.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top