No Cavani, No Lewandowski, then which striker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I certainly wouldn't be against Lukaku leading the line next season, but I still think we need another striker to compete with him considering Ba will likely be sold.

 
It all depends on Torres beeing sold or not, but I would go for Lewandowski or Zlatan if that happened. 

 
Yea Klopp is going to let him go for free I guess...seems silly. Unless Bayern have promised him players in return which seems unlikely.

Gomez will be 28 in a couple days, so he's still got a few good years left in him. Ibra is a beast but he's what 31/32?
Higuain is 25 and swooping him away from Arsenal would make me laugh with glee.

Osvaldo out of Roma maybe? Dunno, but frankly the market isn't looking too overflowing with prospects that we can land. 

 
Ibrahimovic will be world class for another two years atleast and will probably leave PSG if they buy Cavani. His transfer price would probably be around £20mil or lower, it was £21mil from Barcelona to Milan and £18.4mil from Milan to PSG. Lukaku will be ready by the time Zlatan declines, if not there will be new Cavanis/Lewandowskis etc.

 
It always makes me chuckle when I see people calling for Ba to be sold, but we're happy to keep a sh*te excuse for a £50m striker on probably double the wages on the books :laugh2:

 
It's not that people want to keep Torres, Ba would be easier to move on because of his wages. Who can afford him? I don't think Torres wants to go and play in Russia. Monaco already got Falcao, PSG may be getting Cavani, Atletico would never be able to match his fees. The next option is for Chelsea to loan him out and pay his full wages, but Torres may be delusional enough to think he can stay here and improve the team.

 
The French press are now stating that Cavani has signed for PSG.

 
1. Falcao - some weird multi-ownership deal put paid to this long-standing interest, and, I believe, our number one target. In the end, money talked, and I don't think the Columbian is going to be too happy with playing in the French league, but he did a deal with the devil and all that...

2. Cavani - looking rather familiar (see number 1 above). I think Napoli will be laughing all the way to the bank. Now way is he worth 53 million quid + abominable wages. Napoli could hold out because they don't need to sell. As such, PSG will get their man because they can afford it, while we are crippled by the FFP. When Barcelona can sign Neymar and we can't sign Cavani, you have to seriously ask the question, "Who is this FFP really helping? Level playing field my a**!".

3. Lewandowski - his heart is set on Bayern, while Dortmund don't want him to go there. Still, the only reason he'd go anywhere else is because his relationship with Dortmund deteriorates beyond repair. Maybe while he is wherever he ends up (en route to his favored destination), his head can be turned and he may actually fall in love with the new club, fans and competition, but I have to say it would feel strange to have a player on your books that, at least initially, wants to be elsewhere.

4. Gomez - This is a name that has been mentioned several times during various summers as a possible signing for us, and one that I wouldn't completely rule out. He will turn 28 in two days time, and would seem to be in his prime. He probably would desire a move away as he has fallen behind Mandzukic as Bayern's first choice, stemming from being sidelined with an ankle injury that required surgery.

5. Hulk - the Brazilian continues to be linked, but (a) I believe our most serious interest was during the AVB days and he would more likely end up at Spurs if they had the money, and (b) he isn't a striker anyway, and would more likely become competition for the likes of Mata, Hazard and Moses than Torres and Ba.

So, there you have it. I think the likelihood that we would miss out on the likes of Falcao and Cavani became rather obvious to us rather quickly, and thus we were quick out the gates to get Schurrle. I have a feeling Jose would be happy for us to sit on this, and to evaluate his options when pre-season training resumes in ernest today.

Cheers,

Butch

 
@ChelsTransfer

Chelsea's offer in the final hours for Cavani was €59m before De Laurentiis closed the deal with #PSG once the clause was met (Calcio) #CFC

lol

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think weve done the right thing by lettin falcao nd cavani off.. It would be far worse if they gone to another english club..

The list of options is endless and like our signings have been so far im this window it may not be a big name but a more practical signin..

Not many new a whole pile about Didier prior to his arrival and look where that got us..

Something tells me we`ll go into the season with Torres and Lukaku and Jose will judge it from there.

 
I'm little bit torn on this striker situation. 3 is a maximum and minimum number of strikers if we continue to play with a sole striker and if we want Lukaku to play. Torres, Lukaku and Ba is an okay trio but nothing special...actually it can be very special but that means Lukaku is banging in goals for fun from the start. Is that a risk the management is willing to take?

Torres wont score for fun and we still aren't sure about Ba. He has a great record in Prem but seriously dried up after the move.

That is 3 strikers who can all score but all have that shadow of doubt over them.

If we'd manage to sell Torres I'd be happy with a striker like Chicharito or Dzeko.

 
Now Arsenal have made an opening move for Suarez I have genuine concern we might also enter the bidding. 

I personally do not think a forward line of Lukaku, Torres and Ba is good enough to win the title and would imagine we will bring someone in but would really prefer Suarez not to be that player for obvious reasons. 

If we do fail to land a new striker, who knows, Schurrle might surprisingly be deployed as a forward and could be the man to lead the charge... 

 
Lukaku is still too young. He still ranks behind benteke for Belgium. I'm a huge fan but it would be amazing if he can step up enough this season to be the main man in a premiership winning team.

 
Lukaku is still too young. He still ranks behind benteke for Belgium. I'm a huge fan but it would be amazing if he can step up enough this season to be the main man in a premiership winning team.
Agreed, I'd love him to be a complete revelation this season and I really do think he has the potential to do just that but I would be very surprised if he started any of our first 5-10 games.

If we do not sign a new striker then I would expect Torres to start initially with Ba as second choice but considering I don't really rate either of those I would think Lukaku could force his way into the starting line up but he would have to take his chance to impress and hopefully pinch a couple of goals. 

I think our squad is looking pretty good at the moment but I expect 2-3 more signings before the transfer window closes and I think we might see a one or two players going as well. 

 
Apparently Swansea have put in a bid for Wilfried Bony - could this mean that Michu is available?

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top