No Cavani, No Lewandowski, then which striker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

middleweight

On the Bench
Messages
690
Reaction score
20
If rumours are to be believed we're not willing to pay the required amount for Cavani and it looks like he wants to go to RM anyway and Lewandowski has his heart set on Bayern and has already turned RM down. Who else can we bring in as the number 1 striker?

 
Is he prolific enough to be a top clubs main striker?
maybe not but he is also versatile enough to complement lukaku, I think we could do a lot worse. Ive heard good things about luis muriel from udinese, similar to henry, and although his goal scoring record isnt great neither was henrys beforr he came to arsenal and playing more centrally.

 
maybe not but he is also versatile enough to complement lukaku, I think we could do a lot worse. Ive heard good things about luis muriel from udinese, similar to henry, and although his goal scoring record isnt great neither was henrys beforr he came to arsenal and playing more centrally.
I agree on both players. My concern is they arent at the top of their game proven players like Cavani, Falcao, Lewandowski. I think they're a level behind, which I think Lukaku is as well and it would concern me going into the season without a world class striker. My heart says put Lukaku in on the first day and let him run riot, but can he handle the pressure. I guess the only way we'll see is by giving him a chance, but if he isnt up to it we'll be in trouble. We know Ba and Torres arent prolific

 
maybe not but he is also versatile enough to complement lukaku, I think we could do a lot worse. Ive heard good things about luis muriel from udinese, similar to henry, and although his goal scoring record isnt great neither was henrys beforr he came to arsenal and playing more centrally.
well if we're gonna stick a lw/cf hybrid up there then id rather it be schurrle

 
There's a young English striker at Liverpool who's banging in loads of goals.

Maybe we should bid £300m for him.

 
I we sign no one we go into the season with Lukaku, Torres, Ba and Schurrle as our forward options.

Not amazing but I would rather that then see us dropping £45m+ on another centre forward who regardless of form is going to be given game time.

Jose was brave enough to entrust Drogba as his main striker when he joined and he was barely recognised at the time.... I wouldn't put it past Jose to do that again and he may even make a star out of Lukaku or Schurrle as our main forward. 

 
GH.jpg


That's my choice anyway. If there is still any hope of signing him I hope we go all in.

 
Higuain, Lukaku and Ba would be a good front line and definitely give us variations and options. Not as good as Lewandowski or Cavani, but a very talented line up (Ba needs time, before you jump in).

I'd be happy with that, it wouldn't leave me massively excited like Lewandowski, Cavani, Falcao etc. but I would be confident enough in that line up.

 
Higuain, Lukaku and Ba would be a good front line and definitely give us variations and options. Not as good as Lewandowski or Cavani, but a very talented line up (Ba needs time, before you jump in).

I'd be happy with that, it wouldn't leave me massively excited like Lewandowski, Cavani, Falcao etc. but I would be confident enough in that line up.

The thing is, I'm starting to wonder, do we need the "marque" signing of a forward? If we can bring in someone like Higuain or Jovetic who aren't "big" name strikers but could improve the team then maybe it will help with the overall balance of the squad rather than us having this primary focus in the team?

 
The thing is, I'm starting to wonder, do we need the "marque" signing of a forward? If we can bring in someone like Higuain or Jovetic who aren't "big" name strikers but could improve the team then maybe it will help with the overall balance of the squad rather than us having this primary focus in the team?
We don't need it, no and I wasn't suggesting that. It's just that some signings whet the appetite of fans and make the opposition worry. Higuain or Jovetic wouldn't do that, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't improve the squad and it certainly doesn't mean they wouldn't score goals.

It does depend on how Mourinho wants to go tactically as well. In a 4-3-3, there isn't a player particularly close to the striker, so they need to be in general a bit more like Lukaku, Ba, Cavani in terms of build. In a 4-2-3-1 there would be Mata close to the striker to feed off and link up with so the build of the striker is less important as they can rely on neat interplay a bit more.

 
We don't need it, no and I wasn't suggesting that. It's just that some signings whet the appetite of fans and make the opposition worry. Higuain or Jovetic wouldn't do that, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't improve the squad and it certainly doesn't mean they wouldn't score goals.

It does depend on how Mourinho wants to go tactically as well. In a 4-3-3, there isn't a player particularly close to the striker, so they need to be in general a bit more like Lukaku, Ba, Cavani in terms of build. In a 4-2-3-1 there would be Mata close to the striker to feed off and link up with so the build of the striker is less important as they can rely on neat interplay a bit more.
At the moment I think he might stick with 4-2-3-1 although I think we could possibly better use the squad in 4-3-3 as Oscar and KDB could be a part of a 3 man midfield and Ramires looked best in that formation too. 

I know Mata looks great in 4-2-3-1 but I still think he'd shine in 4-3-3 as well because he's too good not to.

I personally think we're going to sign a forward who we haven't been linked with yet, I just think Jose is going to pull something out the bag that the journos didn't see coming.

 
Wasn't Higuain constantly behind Benzema in the pecking order? He is a natural finisher but isn't a first choice for Real and have not played a minute in the prem...

For whoever we go for I think we need a player with a bit of experience. Cavani would have fitted the bill.

 
Wasn't Higuain constantly behind Benzema in the pecking order? He is a natural finisher but isn't a first choice for Real and have not played a minute in the prem...

For whoever we go for I think we need a player with a bit of experience. Cavani would have fitted the bill.
 Cavani hasn't played in England, either.

As for being proven in the prem, look at Torres.

 
Jovetic for me i know he's not prolific but i like him and i have the feeling that with a better team he will score more goals.

 
Wasn't Higuain constantly behind Benzema in the pecking order? He is a natural finisher but isn't a first choice for Real and have not played a minute in the prem...

For whoever we go for I think we need a player with a bit of experience. Cavani would have fitted the bill.
Not really, he rotated them depending on the opposition and tended to trust Higuain in the bigger games, because he's quicker on the break. I think Higuain played more games overall, but I'm not sure and it'll be close either way.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top