SPECTRE

Pity that Timothy Dalton made only 2 James Bond films. I thought he was a breath of fresh air after a tired Roger Moore, and "grittily realistic" as the cliche goes. My favourite Bond.
So true!

I find Licence To Kill to be the most underrated in the series, a few years back I would have said 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service', but that's become quite a fan favorite over time.

 
Live and Let Die was decent but not my favourite Roger Moore film! I did find Baron Samedi to be a memorable villain in that movie.

Moonraker was ridiculous but nevertheless entertaining if you didn't take it too seriously. At least we got to see Jaws again I suppose. 
My favorite Moore Bond film is Octopussy, I love the score, the action, the pacing, without a doubt one of the most fun films, brilliant locations as well.

 
Goldfinger is one of the best if not the best James Bond movie going around! Just a classic all round.

Licence to Kill is very underrated in my view despite its violent nature! Octopussy was great as well and I agree the locations were great with India and Germany being the most prominent locations used in the movie. 

 
I'm a big Bond fan, I'm looking forward to seeing Batista, I thought he was awesome in the recent Marvel film, I think he'll make a great henchman.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a big Bond fan, I'm looking forward to seeing Batista, I thought he was awesome in the recent Marvel film, I think he'll make a great henchman.
I didn't see Guardians of the Galaxy but I'm glad they've got a good old fashioned henchman for Bond to go up against.

I'm also ecstatic that they're taking Bond back to the snow! Looking forward to seeing some cool ski chases. Nice and atmospheric shot here:

10407334_790799537679532_7022714912093674525_n.jpg


 
Yea, it'll be cool to finally get another good ski chase, there's been some great ones throughout the series.

I didn't see Guardians of the Galaxy but I'm glad they've got a good old fashioned henchman for Bond to go up against.

I'm also ecstatic that they're taking Bond back to the snow! Looking forward to seeing some cool ski chases. Nice and atmospheric shot here:

10407334_790799537679532_7022714912093674525_n.jpg
 
Idris Elba as the potential first black Bond, yes or no? 

Me personally, I'd hate to see Bond cast as black, it would throw away 50 years of the characters history for what? 

Might as well get Russell Brand to be the next Shaft. 

 
Idris Elba as the potential first black Bond, yes or no? 

Me personally, I'd hate to see Bond cast as black, it would throw away 50 years of the characters history for what? 

Might as well get Russell Brand to be the next Shaft. 
I hope it will never happen. Bond is white with Scottish ancestry, and that's that. It would do a great disservice to Fleming's novels.

The thing is, after Daniel Craig retires as Bond, which will probably be in 2018, I think they will probably reboot the series again...which means perhaps they are thinking of going in an entirely different direction- Idris Elba. I really hope this isn't the case. Elba is already 42 years old so he will be a very old James Bond when/if he takes over.

 
If nothing else I don't think Elba is suave enough to be Bond. He's a good actor but Bond? Nope. 

I just don't agree with changing the history of characters and what defines them just for no reason at all... It's not like the Bond franchise is flagging so what is the end goal of wanting to make the character black? 

It was bad enough when Tom Cruise was cast as Jack Reacher (from the Lee Child's novels), the character is 6ft 4" and 240lbs, an absolute beast of a man and the books are all about how Reacher uses his size and strength to his advantage and so Cruise was really bad casting.  

 
If nothing else I don't think Elba is suave enough to be Bond. He's a good actor but Bond? Nope. 

I just don't agree with changing the history of characters and what defines them just for no reason at all... It's not like the Bond franchise is flagging so what is the end goal of wanting to make the character black? 

It was bad enough when Tom Cruise was cast as Jack Reacher (from the Lee Child's novels), the character is 6ft 4" and 240lbs, an absolute beast of a man and the books are all about how Reacher uses his size and strength to his advantage and so Cruise was really bad casting.  
Agreed, I've seen Luther. He'd be a mindless thug! Bond will always do well at the box office as you said, so there is no need to cast out of left-field and go for Elba. I've always really liked Fassbender. He'd be a great Bond and he is only 37.

I couldn't believe Cruise was cast as Reacher! I saw the film, it was ok, but maybe they thought they needed a "name" in the title roll in order to make money? Instead of casting a relatively unknown 6"4 actor?

 
Agreed, I've seen Luther. He'd be a mindless thug! Bond will always do well at the box office as you said, so there is no need to cast out of left-field and go for Elba. I've always really liked Fassbender. He'd be a great Bond and he is only 37.

I couldn't believe Cruise was cast as Reacher! I saw the film, it was ok, but maybe they thought they needed a "name" in the title roll in order to make money? Instead of casting a relatively unknown 6"4 actor?
Old Face-Bender isn't a bad shout for the next bond. Not really known for doing action though is he? 

I think they should go back to a Scotsman, Gerrard Butler style accent, shamelessly make a nod toward Connery's Bond. 

My pick for Reacher would have been someone like Chris Hemsworth, perhaps a little young to play Reacher but he's about 6ft 2", blonde and as we've seen from Thor can bulk up so would have been much closer to the books version. 

 
Rather than talk about who's gonna be the next Bond I would like to see more support for the incredible job Daniel Craig is doing in humanising Bond after Pierce Brosnan's four-film montage of indestructibility. 

 
Rather than talk about who's gonna be the next Bond I would like to see more support for the incredible job Daniel Craig is doing in humanising Bond after Pierce Brosnan's four-film montage of indestructibility. 
Funnily enough I was saying to my wife the other night that I didn't particularly like Brosnon as Bond, mainly because with the exception of Golden Eye all his films were pretty sh*t and forgettable. 

 
Goldeneye was Brosnan's best Bond movie by a fair distance!

Idris Elba is a good actor but he doesn't suit the role of Bond! It's nothing racist but Bond is a white anglo-saxon with Scottish ancestry. Why rewrite history after so many years?

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't mind Idris Elba being Bond but only because I never read the books so don't feel any attachment to him - I can understand those who did not wanting him.

 
I'm glad this thread is on here as I'm a massive Bond fan!

I finished work late afternoon last Sunday and Moonraker was on.. bloody marvellous Sunday afternoon! Followed by the greatest Top Gear to date!

I seriously can't wait for Spectre.. absolutely buzzing! :biggrin:

What's your top ten Bond films? and who is your favourite Bond?

in order of their release, mine are:-

  • From Russia with Love
  • Goldfinger
  • Thunderball
  • You Only Live Twice
  • On Her Majesty's Secret Service
  • Live and Let Die
  • The Spy Who Loved Me
  • Moonraker
  • Casino Royale
  • Skyfall
Favourite actors that have portrayed Bond, in this order:-

  1. Sean Connery
  2. Roger Moore
  3. Daniel Craig
  4. Timothy Dalton
  5. George Lazenby
  6. Pierce Brosnan
 
Top 10 Movies In Order:

  1. Goldfinger
  2. From Russia With Love
  3. Goldeneye
  4. Thunderball
  5. Licence To Kill
  6. Dr No
  7. Octopussy
  8. Casino Royale
  9. The Spy Who Loved Me
  10. Diamonds Are Forever

Favourite Actors In Order:

  1. Sean Connery
  2. Timothy Dalton
  3. Daniel Craig
  4. Roger Moore
  5. Pierce Brosnan
  6. George Lazenby
 
Watched The Living Daylights last night - the latest in our from start to finish Bond watching.  Although I liked some of the Roger Moore films (particularly Octopussy) it was so nice to get back to a "real" Bond.  My son's girlfriend's interest was certainly aroused when she first saw him on screen - she said she'd forgotten James Bond was meant to be good-looking!!  Can't comment on favourite actors until I've watched Timothy and Pierce again but so far it's

1.  Daniel Craig

2.  Sean Connery

3.  Roger Moore

4.  George Lazenby 

I think George would be higher if he'd done more - Roger was saved because some of his were good but others weren't.  

My favourite film so far is Skyfall, followed by Casino Royale.  And then Octopussy.  And then a toss up between From Russia with Love and Goldfinger.  I think.  I must admit they do tend to merge into one another!

 
Watched The Living Daylights last night - the latest in our from start to finish Bond watching.  Although I liked some of the Roger Moore films (particularly Octopussy) it was so nice to get back to a "real" Bond.  My son's girlfriend's interest was certainly aroused when she first saw him on screen - she said she'd forgotten James Bond was meant to be good-looking!!  Can't comment on favourite actors until I've watched Timothy and Pierce again but so far it's

1.  Daniel Craig

2.  Sean Connery

3.  Roger Moore

4.  George Lazenby 

I think George would be higher if he'd done more - Roger was saved because some of his were good but others weren't.  

My favourite film so far is Skyfall, followed by Casino Royale.  And then Octopussy.  And then a toss up between From Russia with Love and Goldfinger.  I think.  I must admit they do tend to merge into one another!
Agree about Lazenby, think he was advised not to do more for fear of damaging his career or something!

Few posts back there's talk of a black Bond, I think now is the hour and it should be Drogba.

 
Oh wow - brilliant idea!  Or as he is known on my FB page - Mr Cool as f**k!

 
Back
Top