The Mourinho Netflix Documentary

Real Madrid was certainly the catalyst for his change.
Probably agree, main moment for me was in 2015 and that rant after the Southampton defeat . Had always stuck by him until then when imo he just came across as an absolute embarrassment, cringing and a real dissapointment.

 
In the documentary JT relates a situation of when he was in the dressing room being treated by a physio for an injury. Jose comes in and spends time talking and joking with all the other players but walks out having completely ignored JT. Terry rationalises it by saying that Jose was only ever focused on the players that were available and prepared to play. He then says he told the physio to bandage him up and he went out and trained. Cech relates a similar a story about how it was expected to play on through despite not being 100% fit.
I think right after that there is a comment from Jose where he basically says "Get the injection and keep training" or words to that effect. So he definitely wanted players who were willing to take a chance on their health so they were available to play. Imagine how that would stack up with our squad now lol.

 
Thought it was pretty great, very much Chelsea-centric, and the directors rightly ignored his Spurs stint etc. That whole segment about Roman asking Mourinho to come to events and parties and Jose turning him down was interesting, something about turning up to his boat when he has training the next day 😅. Oh what could have been, if Roman was less inexperienced/avoided outside influencers, and Mourinho had compromised a little.

I do still wonder about that rumour he advised to scrap the academy.

 
The man is a f**king legend. If we were building new statues at the stadium he should be the secomd one we build after Ken Bates. Changed the entire culture of the club from being a 'now and again team' to being one that demanded success. The newer fans we have now who feel entitled to success innthe way us older gits don't are because Jose installed that insistence on being the best regardless of what it takes.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think right after that there is a comment from Jose where he basically says "Get the injection and keep training" or words to that effect. So he definitely wanted players who were willing to take a chance on their health so they were available to play. Imagine how that would stack up with our squad now lol.
I'm sure Garnacho would have brought into that "do or die" mindset.

 
i generally like to inform my opinion on things once I've watched the thing that people are taking about,I guess some people like to draw conclusions from less... up to you

I will say that its a documentary on Jose not a fluff piece, this is how he felt then and probably how he feels now, whether that is right or wrong is not relevant for the documentary. i imagine it was the makers who put it on the table, and if thats how he feels an apology would have been quite fake.
Mourinho used to have fanatics on here but over the time it changed a bit, maybe because he went on to manage spurs and never evolve to the modern game aka washed. But I can see you're unaffected. The man is a legend for Chelsea but if he did wrong like the eva's case then apology is the basic proper thing to do.

 
Mourinho used to have fanatics on here but over the time it changed a bit, maybe because he went on to manage spurs and never evolve to the modern game aka washed. But I can see you're unaffected. The man is a legend for Chelsea but if he did wrong like the eva's case then apology is the basic proper thing to do.
Ok ill address because you are kind of low key, passive aggressively attacking me and my character - please do point out where I said he was in the right or the wrong, there was a comment about the documentary, it's my opinion that people should generally watch the thing they are commenting on (other opinions are available)

On the apology or lack there off, its not my job or anyone else on this forum to do that for him or to insist that it happens? its a documentary, there was a very small segment about it, he didn't apologies, he actually justified, and its ok to agree, or not agree, its ok not to have an opinion on it, My point is mearley just watch it in its entirety before you pass judgment. you might feel different you might now...

 
Nah. This Mourinho was always there, from day 1 at Chelsea. The only thing that changed was the speed at which he would undermine his own authority.

As much as I loved the way that Mourinho stood for the club and the team against media darlings like Benitez, Wenger and Barcelona, his infamous 'siege mentality' and conspiracist mindset was always just a cheap ruse. When it worked it was lauded as genius, and when it didn't work, it provided a convenient excuse to blame someone else for his failings.

The truth is by 2007 he was a magician who had revealed all his tricks. In specific circumstances it is a powerful trick, but that's all. There's nothing sustainable or replicable about it. Now he just burns through the goodwill faster than the results arrive.
The siege mentality was quite often counterproductive.

By inferring that referees were biased against us, more often than not, rather than being cowed into cooperation they would do the opppsite.

Completely self defeating.

 
Ok ill address because you are kind of low key, passive aggressively attacking me and my character - please do point out where I said he was in the right or the wrong, there was a comment about the documentary, it's my opinion that people should generally watch the thing they are commenting on (other opinions are available)

On the apology or lack there off, its not my job or anyone else on this forum to do that for him or to insist that it happens? its a documentary, there was a very small segment about it, he didn't apologies, he actually justified, and its ok to agree, or not agree, its ok not to have an opinion on it, My point is mearley just watch it in its entirety before you pass judgment. you might feel different you might now...
Do you feel attacked if I call you his fanatic?

Let me try to summarize this whole argument so that no misunderstanding ya:

Case: Mourinho, after all these years, still refuse to admit his 'obvious' mistake in that eva's saga. He even played down the slur term he used to call her by saying he treats man and woman as equal blah. There is actually no justification of his behavior in that incident.

Then came you: Your refusal to take stance and condemning his obvious mistake in that incident is the basis why I call you what you are. If you feel wronged then maybe you can explain on why you can think it's okay to NOT have an opinion on the obvious bully-act of conduct by mou in that eva's incident?

For what its worth, jose mourinho was 1 of the reasons why I become Chelsea fan so I'm familiar with that nostalgia 'feeling' that you're experiencing. Maybe I'll have a watch over the weekend but it's not necessary to watch it because most of the good things happened during Chelsea time where we've been through it together.

 
Do you feel attacked if I call you his fanatic?

Let me try to summarize this whole argument so that no misunderstanding ya:

Case: Mourinho, after all these years, still refuse to admit his 'obvious' mistake in that eva's saga. He even played down the slur term he used to call her by saying he treats man and woman as equal blah. There is actually no justification of his behavior in that incident.

Then came you: Your refusal to take stance and condemning his obvious mistake in that incident is the basis why I call you what you are. If you feel wronged then maybe you can explain on why you can think it's okay to NOT have an opinion on the obvious bully-act of conduct by mou in that eva's incident?

For what its worth, jose mourinho was 1 of the reasons why I become Chelsea fan so I'm familiar with that nostalgia 'feeling' that you're experiencing. Maybe I'll have a watch over the weekend but it's not necessary to watch it because most of the good things happened during Chelsea time where we've been through it together.
"But I can see you're unaffected" kind of infer's a bit of judgment but hey ho, any way, there are many things I don't take a public stance on, especially on a community forum, generally its limited to the quality of our football players, manager and owners. I say again, Its fine to have an opinion about it but to tell people what to think before you have even watched a thing is interesting to me. - this is the crux of my argument... any way we digress

EDIT: ill change the picture a bit, i'm sure you have fellow football friends, supporters of other teams, who might rarely watch Chelsea yet form a very strong opinion on the club and the players based largely on what they review in social media, or a few highlight packages.. again for me its very odd, but maybe thats just me

 
Last edited by a moderator:
The siege mentality was quite often counterproductive.

By inferring that referees were biased against us, more often than not, rather than being cowed into cooperation they would do the opppsite.

Completely self defeating.
True. But that tactic was used by Alex Ferguson at United with great success. In later times Klopp also made it work for Liverpool.

 
"But I can see you're unaffected" kind of infer's a bit of judgment but hey ho, any way, there are many things I don't take a public stance on, especially on a community forum, generally its limited to the quality of our football players, manager and owners. I say again, Its fine to have an opinion about it but to tell people what to think before you have even watched a thing is interesting to me. - this is the crux of my argument... any way we digress

EDIT: ill change the picture a bit, i'm sure you have fellow football friends, supporters of other teams, who might rarely watch Chelsea yet form a very strong opinion on the club and the players based largely on what they review in social media, or a few highlight packages.. again for me its very odd, but maybe thats just me
Shouting expletives and getting a woman fired for doing her job isn't really a hill you can justify. His ignorance not to apologise and your insistence to defend it is weird. I won't "low key passively aggressively attack you", i'll say it. You sound like a bellend.

 
I have started watching but have been too busy to watch all of it yet.

It's all been said before, but of course Jose is still held in high esteem with us supporters and when you watch old clips, you can't help but remember how great it was as the memories flood back. But there is no doubt, over the years, he has tarnished his legacy. He should be up there with the likes of Shankly, Clough and Ferguson (and now Pep), for having supporters unadulterated affection, but as much as I still remember him fondly, now I view him as just another ex-manager (and ex-manager of MANY clubs, including Spurs) and therefore not worthy of a statue.

 
I have started watching but have been too busy to watch all of it yet.

It's all been said before, but of course Jose is still held in high esteem with us supporters and when you watch old clips, you can't help but remember how great it was as the memories flood back. But there is no doubt, over the years, he has tarnished his legacy. He should be up there with the likes of Shankly, Clough and Ferguson (and now Pep), for having supporters unadulterated affection, but as much as I still remember him fondly, now I view him as just another ex-manager (and ex-manager of MANY clubs, including Spurs) and therefore not worthy of a statue.
I had just finished carving yiur left leg as well. Turning it into Goose now

 
I'm two episodes in and I quite like it, but it really is just a love-letter to Jose so far. I guess this is because it's covering the period where his star was on the rise and he could seemingly do no wrong. It was interesting to learn about his origin story in episode 1, I knew very little about him prior to his Porto days.

It is a nice excuse to sit down and revisit those memories though. With Jose, Roman and that core of brilliant players and leaders we had at the time, it was the perfect storm and we're lucky to have experienced it. How things have changed.

 
True. But that tactic was used by Alex Ferguson at United with great success. In later times Klopp also made it work for Liverpool.
The papers loved the Mourinho mind games angle. Plus Fergie time etc.

Accepted notion was, you had to be a bit of a crafty bastard, to prevail in the Premiership.

Then comes cutie pie Ranieri winning the league with Leicester. No mind games and macho trappings.

 
"But I can see you're unaffected" kind of infer's a bit of judgment but hey ho, any way, there are many things I don't take a public stance on, especially on a community forum, generally its limited to the quality of our football players, manager and owners. I say again, Its fine to have an opinion about it but to tell people what to think before you have even watched a thing is interesting to me. - this is the crux of my argument... any way we digress

EDIT: ill change the picture a bit, i'm sure you have fellow football friends, supporters of other teams, who might rarely watch Chelsea yet form a very strong opinion on the club and the players based largely on what they review in social media, or a few highlight packages.. again for me its very odd, but maybe thats just me
What does having to watch the whole thing have anything to do with how we address jose's obvious misbehavior in that particular incident? It's not like it's going to be the opposite of what has been reported (in which the report was presented in jose's own quote from the show). That particular incident is not a matter of having different opinion, it's a fact of someone misbehaving, act of bully and unremorseful. Don't you realize you are kind of low key defending mou of his wrongdoing? You sound like denzel washington on will smith slap case, the different is you haven't brought out the devil in play as excuse.

Btw, I notice someone call you a bellend (puta??) and this time I'll (conveniently) distance myself from saying whether that's right or wrong especially on a community forum like this one but do you think he should apologize? I don't think he should if that's how he truly feels about it because after all, it's his personal feeling that matters. An apology would have been fake anyway.

 
Did you cry when Jose left? In fairness he anticipated Netflix' celebrity fixation when he pioneered "Look at me Everybody"
Not a tear. As an edgy teenager, I used to go back and forth with some of his devoted disciples on the old forum over his style of football. I hated the way he treated Robben, Joe Cole, Wright-Phillips, Parker and Glen Johnson. I hated the Death of Football midfield. I hated that he thought Mikel was our answer to Fabregas.

Most of all I hated that he became a caricature of his earlier 'siege mentality'. It was always everyone else's fault and never his, and he couldn't bear the attention being on anyone else.

Hence my comments above - he was gone far before Real Madrid.

 
Back
Top