The Mourinho Netflix Documentary

I love Jose, can’t ever be understated the effects he had on this club, absolutely gutted he never lifted the big one with us. Will probably be the greatest football regret of most our lifetimes.

No stretch at all to say that Roman/Jose link up saved English football at the time and shaped what it became. Without them we’d have the reanimated corpse of Alex Ferguson leading Utd to their 69th League Title in a row.

However, the Eva situation wasn’t even worth bringing up in a series about his career, it’s such a minor blip that raising it again just reeks of arrogance and petulance.

Secondly the above is right, Madrid absolutely broke him, all the magic and charm left and he became a bitter husk of a man. His second spell here was nowhere near the charmfest of the first and everything since just makes me cringe for him.

 
Not a tear. As an edgy teenager, I used to go back and forth with some of his devoted disciples on the old forum over his style of football. I hated the way he treated Robben, Joe Cole, Wright-Phillips, Parker and Glen Johnson. I hated the Death of Football midfield. I hated that he thought Mikel was our answer to Fabregas.

Most of all I hated that he became a caricature of his earlier 'siege mentality'. It was always everyone else's fault and never his, and he couldn't bear the attention being on anyone else.

Hence my comments above - he was gone far before Real Madrid.
No need to call out @g3.7 like that

 
Bluenut was his biggest fan.

I used to like Jose's attention seeking being excused as 'taking the pressure off the players"

Like when he gave his medal away to take the pressure off the players celebrating their win.

 
Shouting expletives and getting a woman fired for doing her job isn't really a hill you can justify. His ignorance not to apologise and your insistence to defend it is weird. I won't "low key passively aggressively attack you", i'll say it. You sound like a bellend.
He still doesn't seem to understand that it was the ref who actually summoned the medic onto the pitch. She wasn't in a position to refuse to treat the player. If José believed that Hazard wasn't really injured but stayed down anyway which then led to the medic being called, then his anger was and still is ridiculously misplaced

Apart from that incident what a f**king great manager he was for us 👍

 
I love José, but I never bought the idea that his antics were a cleverly designed tactic to take pressure off the players.

If players were sh*t, they were still sh*t, no matter what. I think José just couldn't control himself.

 
We need more Mourinho's in the game. He's full of himself, has a massive ego, he will make you love him and hate him at times, and he will cross the line, but he's entertaining. Football doesn't have many characters anymore. Every manager these days is giving each other a hug and giving boring monotone interviews to the press. I would love nothing more than for Liverpool fans to give Alonso stick all game only for us to score a last minute winner and for him to run down the touchline celebrating in front of them Mourinho style.

 
We need more Mourinho's in the game.
Agreed. I think we are in a minority who feel that way, but characters like him are just great for football. You look at what a lot of us consider "peak" football, and it's that 2004-2012 era. Mourinho was at the heart of it. Running across Old Trafford when Porto knocked out United, his entire Chelsea stint, forcing the sprinklers at the Nou Camp with Inter, and let's forget the Clásicos. They were blockbusters during that period.

In contrast, Pep vs Klopp's mutual respect for one another was just gag-worthy. No edge, no animosity, no narrative heat.

 
I love Jose, can’t ever be understated the effects he had on this club, absolutely gutted he never lifted the big one with us. Will probably be the greatest football regret of most our lifetimes.
Not for me (first spell), 2012 build-up/the pay-off after so many near misses made it all the more special, wouldn’t change it. 2nd spell however, would have been nice if he had got us over the line with Hazard in particular lifting it, ironically though he blamed Hazard for that semi-final defeat against Atletico. Probably for the best, had we got to the final Madrid would have been too much for that squad at the time.

 
I love José, but I never bought the idea that his antics were a cleverly designed tactic to take pressure off the players.

If players were sh*t, they were still sh*t, no matter what. I think José just couldn't control himself.
I’m not a doctor, however would suggest that he has some type of personality disorder. Just so many examples of acting / talking sh*t.

In terms of upper echelon managers, him and Clough are the most obvious examples of egotists. Both achieved huge success; bit of magic about them.

You had to accept the full package. Tolerable with Jose when he was a world beater, now he comes across as a bit of a jerk.

 
Agreed. I think we are in a minority who feel that way, but characters like him are just great for football. You look at what a lot of us consider "peak" football, and it's that 2004-2012 era. Mourinho was at the heart of it. Running across Old Trafford when Porto knocked out United, his entire Chelsea stint, forcing the sprinklers at the Nou Camp with Inter, and let's forget the Clásicos. They were blockbusters during that period.

In contrast, Pep vs Klopp's mutual respect for one another was just gag-worthy. No edge, no animosity, no narrative heat.
Ironically, the quest for sanitizing the game has seen ever more abuse, racism etc. in contemporary football than in that period.

I don't think you'll find too many people who agree that was the 'peak' of football though. Mourinho, Benitez etc. ushered in an era of defensive pragmatism that was only supplanted by Guardiola's nauseating version of tiki-taka. By 2010 almost every EPL club was playing a variant of 4-5-1, low blocks etc. The lone striker became dominant and centre-forward play started to virtually disappear. No. 10s were being replaced. Serie A and the Eredivisie began their terminal declines, the Bundesliga was a joke for most of that period until 2010. England dominated most of that period in Europe, then La Liga carried the torch.

 
Ironically, the quest for sanitizing the game has seen ever more abuse, racism etc. in contemporary football than in that period.

I don't think you'll find too many people who agree that was the 'peak' of football though. Mourinho, Benitez etc. ushered in an era of defensive pragmatism that was only supplanted by Guardiola's nauseating version of tiki-taka. By 2010 almost every EPL club was playing a variant of 4-5-1, low blocks etc. The lone striker became dominant and centre-forward play started to virtually disappear. No. 10s were being replaced. Serie A and the Eredivisie began their terminal declines, the Bundesliga was a joke for most of that period until 2010. England dominated most of that period in Europe, then La Liga carried the torch.
04-12 was undoubtedly the peak of football, both domestically and internationally.

 
It absolutely was.

Football’s gone far too soft. Where’s the hatred between clubs nowadays?

I want to see players clashing after full time. I want aggressive tackles. I want drama.

Everyone’s best mates, cuddling each other after the final whistle. You don’t see managers calling each other a voyeur anymore, or squaring up to each other like Mourinho and Wenger used to.

I enjoyed Haaland vs Gabriel last season, but even that feels pretty tame compared to what we used to see. Give me Roy Keane vs Patrick Vieira any day.

We definitely need more nastiness in the game. Diego Costa was f**king fantastic for it.

 
I’m going to echo the sentiments about 04-12 being the golden age of football. It actually felt like it meant something and each team wasn’t just a watered down version of the next. Everyone had their own style and played to it, look at Pulis’ Stoke!

I lay most of the blame at Peps door. He broke Jose and then everyone just bowed down and copied him moving forward. Footballs been pretty boring ever since.

 
It absolutely was.

Football’s gone far too soft. Where’s the hatred between clubs nowadays?

I want to see players clashing after full time. I want aggressive tackles. I want drama.

Everyone’s best mates, cuddling each other after the final whistle. You don’t see managers calling each other a voyeur anymore, or squaring up to each other like Mourinho and Wenger used to.

I enjoyed Haaland vs Gabriel last season, but even that feels pretty tame compared to what we used to see. Give me Roy Keane vs Patrick Vieira any day.

We definitely need more nastiness in the game. Diego Costa was f**king fantastic for it.
Those International tournaments lining up with squads full of world class players. I look at International teams these days and find it hard to pick more than 1 or 2 world class players in each squad. Everyone trains to fit a system these days, rather than maximising their own potential.

 
04-12 was undoubtedly the peak of football, both domestically and internationally.
This is the difference between Gen Z and Millennials. We had hope and it was taken away, you were born into the no-hope and know nothing else.

2006-07 was specifically and objectively the worst football season in recorded history*

*apart from anything involving BlueCo

 
I’m going to echo the sentiments about 04-12 being the golden age of football. It actually felt like it meant something and each team wasn’t just a watered down version of the next. Everyone had their own style and played to it, look at Pulis’ Stoke!

I lay most of the blame at Peps door. He broke Jose and then everyone just bowed down and copied him moving forward. Footballs been pretty boring ever since.
Yep, the Pete Sampras of football.

 
Agreed. I think we are in a minority who feel that way, but characters like him are just great for football. You look at what a lot of us consider "peak" football, and it's that 2004-2012 era. Mourinho was at the heart of it. Running across Old Trafford when Porto knocked out United, his entire Chelsea stint, forcing the sprinklers at the Nou Camp with Inter, and let's forget the Clásicos. They were blockbusters during that period.

In contrast, Pep vs Klopp's mutual respect for one another was just gag-worthy. No edge, no animosity, no narrative heat.
We were on to something with that Tuchel and Conte handshake, I thought back then that'd be the start of something amazing but BlueCo had other pottery plans, shame that is.

 
This is the difference between Gen Z and Millennials. We had hope and it was taken away, you were born into the no-hope and know nothing else.

2006-07 was specifically and objectively the worst football season in recorded history*

*apart from anything involving BlueCo
I'm not sure how old you think i am or what category you think i fall into.

One single season is your reason for it being bad? 04-12 you had world class players in multiple teams. Messi and Ronaldo coming into the game and making their mark. Managers like Fergie, Mourinho, Wenger and Rafa going at each other every other week. Inter winning the CL.

Like i said, the greatest era and it isn't even close.

 
Back
Top