United States National Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really follow the USMNT very closely, but I'm a bit surprised and concerned with the roster. Several players who did very well in qualifying were dropped for relative unknowns. Donovan is the obvious shocker. But now with Altidore going down injured, where's Eddie Johnson? Who is Aron Johansson? Where's Shea, Diskerud and Goodson? It seems like Klinsmann sacrificed our most experienced but older players for young and untested players, as if he's already looking ahead to 2018?

Yeah, we got a good win tonight, and the defensive performance may have been influenced by us scoring so early. Personally, I thought we looked poor overall. We showed almost no attacking intent for large portions of the game. We struggled to retain possession and resorted mostly to long balls from Howard. Ghana looked shaky on defense but we really didn't put much pressure on them. We were defending deep but Ghana was still able to get in good crossing positions and find open men in the final third almost at will. The defense looked slow to react and only abysmal finishing from Ghana kept us in the game. We'll see what happens against Portugal and Germany, but after tonight, I'm fearful we're going to get blown off the pitch.
 Well maybe you should. Maybe you should believe that Klinsmann knows what he is doing. You know what, I do follow the USNMT. I remember Italy 90. I remember USA 94. I remember 98 & so on. There is one thing I can say & that is we don't really give a f**k what the rest of the World thinks. We do what we can & grind out results. Sorta like CFC in the UCL of 2012. Yes, Ghana out played the Yanks but guess who got scoreboard. I think the USNMT can give Portugal a run for their money. I guess that is because I believe. I gives a damn what anyone else thinks....I Believe That We Can Win!!!!

 
I was very happy with the result yesterday especially considering how flat we looked for a majority of the match and with the injuries to Jozy, Besler and Dempsey.  We really needed the 3 points from Ghana to have any realistic chance of advancing out of the group. 

 
That was nerve-racking for a while, but great. Got that demon exorcised. Bring on Portugal.  Come on, you Yanks! :Scott:

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really follow the USMNT very closely, but I'm a bit surprised and concerned with the roster. Several players who did very well in qualifying were dropped for relative unknowns. Donovan is the obvious shocker. But now with Altidore going down injured, where's Eddie Johnson? Who is Aron Johansson? Where's Shea, Diskerud and Goodson? It seems like Klinsmann sacrificed our most experienced but older players for young and untested players, as if he's already looking ahead to 2018?

Yeah, we got a good win tonight, and the defensive performance may have been influenced by us scoring so early. Personally, I thought we looked poor overall. We showed almost no attacking intent for large portions of the game. We struggled to retain possession and resorted mostly to long balls from Howard. Ghana looked shaky on defense but we really didn't put much pressure on them. We were defending deep but Ghana was still able to get in good crossing positions and find open men in the final third almost at will. The defense looked slow to react and only abysmal finishing from Ghana kept us in the game. We'll see what happens against Portugal and Germany, but after tonight, I'm fearful we're going to get blown off the pitch.
Diskerud is on the roster

Eddie has done nothing since the Gold Cup to warrant inclusion.

Goodson was replaced by Brooks who scored the game winner.

Shea is more concerned with his clothing line then the sport, think he played twice in England all season.

Johannson replaced Altidore at AZ and scored 20 goals in 39 games last season.

 
I appreciate the response Ace. I discovered that Diskerud is on the roster, but that shows how little I know about the USMNT. Really I just wondered what others thought of some of the controversial roster choices. I still question the Goodson snub even though Brooks got the winner over Ghana. In the few qualifiers I watched, I thought Goodson looked to be our best defender by a good margin. However,the win over Ghana definitely earned a large amount of vindication for Klinsmann and Brooks.

I feel rightly chastised by you and Robdog. I'll withhold judgment until we've faced Portugal and Germany. Anything can happen and I'm cautiously optimistic we can get a result against Portugal. I do think we need to be better all-around than we were against Ghana if we're going to get it done.

Whatever happens, it will have been a good World Cup for the US. With a win over Ghana and a crack at Germany and Portugal, we can't feel too disappointed even if we end up dropping out.

 
No worries. A lot of the guys you mentioned were cut along with Donovan, so it was just a case of not performing as well as their counterparts in that final camp. Brooks finished his season featuring a bit for his Bundesliga team, which might be what pushed him past Goodson. Goodson maybe should've gone instead of Gonzalez though, as Omar always seems to be injured recently.

I think if we can take a point away from next game and assuming Germany beat Ghana, we will have a great chance of advancing.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think if we can take a point away from next game and assuming Germany beat Ghana, we will have a great chance of advancing.
I am starting to believe we can repeat our 2002 performance over Portugal. The Portuguese are already talking like they are over-looking the US. I just hope we can can provide better possession. IMHO the early goal hurt the US & we immediately went into Bunker Mode. I am starting to think play Wondo, cause he does play a more withdrawn position with San Jose. He is almost like an attack-mid. Perhaps we can play w/ a false 9, since Jozy is done w/ his hami being busted. Onwards & Upwards Friends.....US coming away w/ a Big Win!!!

 
Have an odd feeling that the United States are going to take down Portugal, be one of the shocks of the World Cup that if it happens.

 
Have an odd feeling that the United States are going to take down Portugal, be one of the shocks of the World Cup that if it happens.
Why? we beat them before & we can beat them again. TBH I will be extremely happy w/ a draw from this match.

 
Accomplished performance by the US and two great goals. You (the US) have put England to shame. Well done USA!

 
Good result, but I am still fuming about Michael Bradley.  Now I see why Roma let him go.  He loses the ball cheaply when all he had to do was to kick it to the side, and then once he loses possession, he does not track back to try to make up for his mistake, and then Portugal scores.   Sloppy and lazy are not the best attributes to have.

On a side note, I do like the looks of William.  Too bad we are not in the running for him.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Accomplished performance by the US and two great goals. You (the US) have put England to shame. Well done USA!
Still amazed that your side let Deuce go. Oh Well I am sure Seattle is happy cause Deuce is showing that he is all that & a bag of chips. What a goalazo by Jones. We need to put this piece of art on this thread

jermaine-jones-scores-b.gif
 ​
On the topic of the English Nats, we have a better coach & he doesn't let the punk ass US Media make personnel decisions

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good result, but I am still fuming about Michael Bradley.  Now I see why Roma let him go.  He loses the ball cheaply when all he had to do was to kick it to the side, and then once he loses possession, he does not track back to try to make up for his mistake, and then Portugal scores.   Sloppy and lazy are not the best attributes to have.

On a side note, I do like the looks of William.  Too bad we are not in the running for him.
I hope he isn't harboring bad feelings over his dad being replaced by Klinsmann.

 
I hope he isn't harboring bad feelings over his dad being replaced by Klinsmann.
Doubtful. He was interviewed before WC and mentioned how it was always hard having his dad as manager. He certainly hasn't had a good tournament though, after being picked to be our star player by many.

 
Pretty interesting feeling, someone from your club team going up against your national team.

Hopefully Eden has a really poor game. And I hope Lukaku starts since he will have zero impact on the game.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Still amazed that the USA made it out of this group! Jurgen Klinnsmann has done something amazing

Pretty interesting feeling, someone from your club team going up against your national team.

Hopefully Eden has a really poor game. And I hope Lukaku starts since he will have zero impact on the game.
I'm having the same feeling. Going to be so strange rooting against Hazard :laugh2:

 
Fabian Johnson will put Hazard in his pocket. We better just sell him now before his value drops after that happens.

USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top