Materazzi discloses his World Cup insult

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Report: Materazzi discloses his World Cup insult

August 18, 2007

MILAN, Italy (AP) -- Italy defender Marco Materazzi finally disclosed what he said to Zinedine Zidane in the World Cup final that provoked the French star to retaliate with a head-butt.

"I prefer the whore that is your sister," Materazzi wrote in his yet-to-be-released autobiography, according to Italian news reports Saturday.

Italian magazine TV Sorrisi E Canzoni reported the insult in an interview with Materazzi, which comes out Monday. Materazzi, however, told ANSA news agency the words were not part of the interview.

"Rather they are from page 21 of my autobiography," Materazzi said Saturday. "I will speak about the book at length but only on Aug. 30, the day set aside for its presentation in Milan."

Zidane head-butted Materazzi in the chest with 10 minutes left in last year's final. He was sent off for violent conduct, ending his stellar career with a red card. Italy went on to win the game in a penalty-kick shootout after the score was 1-1 after extra time.

Materazzi, who received a two-game ban for incitement, has since apologized to Zidane. France coach Raymond Domenech this month lauded Materazzi's strategy for getting Zidane out of the game.

"I say 'bravo' to him," the coach said.

http://www.yahoo.com