No Cavani, No Lewandowski, then which striker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very much with DB on the Sturridge issue. Makes me sick that he is playing for Liverpool now, while Torres says he wants to see out his 175k a week contract (gee really?) having been trotted out week after week in Sturridge's preferred position. I must say that Robbie bears much of the blame for this situation, as it was he who chose to leave him out largely after he did well under AVB.

However, I'm going to be controversial here and say that if any striker signs for silly money then it should be Rooney. Now before I am berated, hear me out...

He is the one player potentially on the market who can play with Demba or Lukaku, he is also very capable of leading the line alone and also initiating a very strong press from the front with his workrate. We've been crying out for a striker who linked midfield and attack ever since Eidur left and  I for one am sick of having any number of strikers who seemingly can't be on the pitch at the same time.

I honestly think he would make a solid addition that gives us options:

Demba - Pace in behind

Lukaku - Target

Rooney - Link

He didn't have a great season last year, but he certainly has quality and doesn't rely on his physical abilities as other strikers like Sheva or Torres did. 

I'd be happy for us (assuming Torres leaves, which surely he must) to spend that bit of the wage bill on him.

 
Very much with DB on the Sturridge issue. Makes me sick that he is playing for Liverpool now, while Torres says he wants to see out his 175k a week contract (gee really?) having been trotted out week after week in Sturridge's preferred position. I must say that Robbie bears much of the blame for this situation, as it was he who chose to leave him out largely after he did well under AVB.

However, I'm going to be controversial here and say that if any striker signs for silly money then it should be Rooney. Now before I am berated, hear me out...

He is the one player potentially on the market who can play with Demba or Lukaku, he is also very capable of leading the line alone and also initiating a very strong press from the front with his workrate. We've been crying out for a striker who linked midfield and attack ever since Eidur left and  I for one am sick of having any number of strikers who seemingly can't be on the pitch at the same time.

I honestly think he would make a solid addition that gives us options:

Demba - Pace in behind

Lukaku - Target

Rooney - Link

He didn't have a great season last year, but he certainly has quality and doesn't rely on his physical abilities as other strikers like Sheva or Torres did. 

I'd be happy for us (assuming Torres leaves, which surely he must) to spend that bit of the wage bill on him.
He doesn't really have much pace, Lukaku is faster. Schurrle would be a better option for that role.

 
Has anyone mentioned Higuain? Or is he not up to Chelsea's standard to be a starter? Or probably rotated with Lukaku? 

Edit: WestwayWonder mentioned Higuain on the first page lol. I should have gone through the thread again.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone mentioned Higuain? Or is he not up to Chelsea's standard to be a starter? Or probably rotated with Lukaku? 

Edit: WestwayWonder mentioned Higuain on the first page lol. I should have gone through the thread again.
Higuain would have been a great addition, and he seems available. But wasn't he a second choice behind Benzema under JM in Madrid?

 
Higuain would have been a great addition, and he seems available. But wasn't he a second choice behind Benzema under JM in Madrid?
They rotated a lot, Higuain played more of the bigger games in general because he's faster on the break and I think he played slightly more overall.

 
Worst case scenario

Saurez to Madrid. Meaning. ..

Cavani to city

Lewy to Utd

Higuain to arsenal

 
Worst case scenario

Saurez to Madrid. Meaning. ..

Cavani to city

Lewy to Utd

Higuain to arsenal
Do you think there is any chance of Madrid signing Cavani AND Suarez? 

At the moment Suarez seems to be angling for a move but I'm not sure that anyone is actually interested at the moment.

The obvious moves at this point appear to be:

Cavani to Madrid

Lewy to B. Munich

You would think that City would be in the market for a forward as well although I'm not too sure who they will go for if they don't get Cavani, 

 
Higuain would have been a great addition, and he seems available. But wasn't he a second choice behind Benzema under JM in Madrid?
Yeah but I thought he did well coming off the bench and being rotated. If he came here, he wouldn't hold back Lukaku, whereas someone like Cavani or Lewandowski would be more challenging for Lukaku. 

 
Do you think there is any chance of Madrid signing Cavani AND Suarez? 

At the moment Suarez seems to be angling for a move but I'm not sure that anyone is actually interested at the moment.
I dont think Madrid will go near Suarez. Which doesnt bode well for us an Cavani. 

After being embarrassed by Jose poking someone in the eye, or dropping the club captain, cannot see Perez overlooking Suarez's long and shameful rap sheet. 

Maybe its also wishful thinking on my part. I would love nothing more than to see Suarez prostitute himself all summer, only to still be in Liverpool on September 1st. 

 
Last edited by a moderator:
In order of importance, the key elements to making the right decision here are as follows:-

1. A fit with Jose’s main pattern of play - the factor rubberstamping Schurrle’s deal being his versatility to play anywhere across a front three and, harking back to those long-gone and much-missed Didier days, it is the reason Lukaku is going nowhere except straight into the first team squad next season. Also, perhaps more controversially, it is why I think Torres should be retained (he could easily ‘fit’ in the system and Demba Ba might be the likelier casualty when it comes to eventual discards.

2. Compliance with Financial Fair Play - the hacks love to talk about our disregard of the Platini plaything, but the truth of the matter is that Roman shows real signs of playing ball - just look at the way we [allegedly] baulk at Cavani’s buyout clause and allowed Falcao to slip through our fingers, seemingly without a financial fight.

3. Availability and Age - by this I mean the lengths to which we are now prepared to go to battle in the market for established talent, especially when it is measured against elements (1) and (2) - for instance, I doubt Jose would ever want to go for a Van Persie-type buy, but if he did, under our regime’s adherence to the latter element and its overriding of the former, he wouldn’t be allowed to anyway. Interestingly, this may well have already stopped us going for Rooney, but I believe, as he is such a perfect example of an element (1) fit, Jose just couldn’t bring himself to rule Wayne out of any transfer equation when asked to comment on his current ‘situation’ at United recently.

And so, in conclusion, on applying my own criteria, I suggest we go for Matej Vydra, the loanee Watford striker - if he’s good enough for Gianfranco Zola, he’s good enough for me - as he looks every inch the type of player Jose could work with, especially within the current confines. A Premiership side has [allegedly] just made Udinese an offer of £8 million and, even though this has been rejected, the low starting-level for dealings (could be worth twice as much) has our fingerprints all over it. To be honest, I’m surprised that Star hasn’t been on here to tell us about the flood of money going on a possible purchase, but I can wait…

This acquisition would leaves us with an interchangeable strike force of Torres, Lukaku, Schurrle, Ba and Vydra, supplemented by the roving brilliance of Hazzard and Oscar, and the more workmanlike [Mourinho-esque] presence of Ramires and Moses. Moreover, with Mata pulling the strings, Jose would have everything he needs going forward and, most importantly, every player would be well-versed in what is required to win our domestic title.

PS. Danny Sturridge would have frustrated the hell out of Jose... he would not have lasted five minutes.

 
 id love lewandowski here as long as he was committed and not thinking about hi

dream move to bayern that we've agredd to accommodate.
Spot on.

However, I'm going to be controversial here and say that if any striker signs for silly money then it should be Rooney. Now before I am berated, hear me out...

He is the one player potentially on the market who can play with Demba or Lukaku, he is also very capable of leading the line alone and also initiating a very strong press from the front with his workrate. We've been crying out for a striker who linked midfield and attack ever since Eidur left and  I for one am sick of having any number of strikers who seemingly can't be on the pitch at the same time.

I honestly think he would make a solid addition that gives us options:
Fully agree, I think he'd be a great signing and have said before that he'd be my 2nd choice after Zlatan assuming Lewnadowski isn't achievable and i'd personally rather sign Rooney for £25m than Cavani for £50m+.

 
I can imagine the first thing David Moyes wants to do is probably sell Rooney to one of their biggest rivals.

 
If we can't get Cavani or Lewandowski than I'd go for Jovetic. But in Lukaku I think we've already got the ideal striker.

 
Might seem to be a crazy idea but I would suggest to steal Alcantara transfer under the nose of United, buy a good holding mid like Illarramendi and not buy any striker to play a false number 9. The line-up would be this:

Hazard----------Mata-----------De Bruyne

-----------Oscar------Alcantara-------------

--------------Illarramendi---------------------

Cole-----Luiz-----Ivanovic-----Azpilicueta

-----------------Cech--------------------------

Subs: Ramires, Torres, Ba, Cahill, Moses, Bertrand, Blackman, Mikel, Lampard, Essien, Schürrle, Wallace, Terry, 3rd keeper.

This team would play the best possession football in England, and one of the best in Europe. But we don't have a manager to play this kind of football. Oh well, one can always dream.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top