Style or Trophies ?

Adzio

Gus Hiddink has ruled himself out of the Chelsea Job . But i thought this comment he made was quite interesting and probably true to some extent.

Hiddink said he has sympathy for Grant and accused Chelsea of placing too much emphasis on

winning trophies.

"If they did not put so much pressure to get two or three cups every year, I would imagine they would start to play even better," he said.

What would you prefer the Team to play with style or winning 3 trophies a year with not much style ?

I would prefer Style and hopefully win One ?

I'm for the trophies. We've not established ourselves as one of the elite teams yet. Yes, we've won trophies recently, and yes we've risen to the top of the UEFA rankings, but we need sustained success. Three seasons of it is not enough for me, and we've now dropped to the "nearly men" category. The Madrids, Barcelonas, Milans and Liverpools can live on their histories to a certain extent, but as soon as we drop a level, we become just that rich team who can't buy success. That is why I am so disappointed we parted ways with Jose so quickly. I think we needed 5, 6, maybe 7 years of the Mourinho brand of winning football, even if it didn't win many friends. We needed that winning dynasty to kick start a new elite club with a winning history.

So, I believe we need to win, win, win. The beautiful football is secondary. Now, this has nothing to do with the mentality of amassing the runs, so the speak, so the opposing team cannot hit us on the counter in the dying moments to snatch a draw or win. That's not the beautiful I'm talking about, and yes I would like to see that.

Cheers,

Butch

Archived