'Premier League clubs facing point deduction if they breach new spending controls'

Erik

I think it's ridiculous. Massive wage bills is what the FA, the major sports networks and the Premiership wanted. The system was engineered to separate the haves and have nots and attract wealthy investors who'd be willing to spend the money to build a powerful top 4. Now they're saying this is a problem and they wanted to curtail it? The only thing that makes me feel better is this line - "the cap does not cover extra money coming in from commercial or matchday income". That tells me that they're sort of half-arsing the whole thing, as that should be relatively easy to manipulate. It also seems to underscore the need for a new ground, though.

Archived