Concern Mounts Over Phil Dowd’s Ineptitude

Dorset

Perception is everything in sport, but I have to say that I’m becoming increasingly concerned over a certain official’s cockeyed use of it when in charge of Chelsea games and I’m sure, after the Liverpool defeat and reading the title of this topic, I don’t need to explain which one of the so-called elite Premiership panel of referees I’m referring to. In short, despite the Chelsea fan having to accept that his team lost to a better side last night, the manner of the defeat once again owed much to the growing ineptitude of a referee who seems intent on aiding the cause of our opposition with his decisions, even if it means beggaring our belief and the evidence of our own eyes with their enforcement.

Put bluntly, if Phil Dowd isn’t in one moment turning his Nelsonian blind eye on a foul on David Luiz in our opponent’s box, well he’s pretty soon afterwards booking the same player for a non-existent dive in some sort of bamboozling self-justification. If he then turns that same blind one in the direction of a handball incident in OUR box, well it’s not long before someone has to alert him of the fact by bellowing in his hearing aid as a matter of urgency and pretty soon a penalty is awarded. Then again, if a later incident just happens to occur on his good side and he spots a bad Lukaku tackle, somehow he still contrives to book another player in a blue shirt for the offence. Do I exaggerate? Do I heck!

These, dare one point them out to a once equally myopic Mike Riley, the head of a Professional Game Match Official outfit, are dark days indeed for an organisation in desperate need of some semblance of credibility, especially as Mr Dowd has now to be seen as an ever-growing embarrassment who must surely be downgraded for a far longer period than when he and his assistants dropped a division [for a paltry one game] after gifting United two offside goals against us at Old Trafford earlier in the season. Remember too that shortly after return from that demotion he took a further sabbatical following Aston Villa’s appeal against Chris Herd’s red card in their 2-1 defeat by West Brom… because there was simply no sign of the stamp on Jonas Olsson, confirmed as the reason for his dismissal in Dowd’s report. Isn’t it therefore about time someone asked the pertinent question - how much evidence of incident blindness does the PGMO need before this individual is struck off the elite register altogether?

Of course, perish the thought that AVB must suffer at the whistle of this incompetent for longer than is humanly bearable, especially in an environment that’s pressurised to extremes anyway, but you have to begin to worry that, whilst Dowd’s eyesight is undeniably short, his memory could still be grudgingly long and the Boas remark after the United match - “I cannot lose my time organising defensive set-plays for the referee to make a mistake like that†- might well tempt any flawed individual to be a tad vindictive. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not suggesting for one moment that Phil Dowd’s character is flawed, just that others might and there is no denying he is becoming increasingly vulnerable to this type of accusation by virtue of his actions. For that reason alone the PGMO should consider standing him down.

Of course, perish the thought that AVB must suffer at the whistle of this incompetent for longer than is humanly bearable, especially in an environment that’s pressurised to extremes anyway, but you have to begin to worry that, whilst Dowd’s eyesight is undeniably short, his memory could still be grudgingly long and the Boas remark after the United match - “I cannot lose my time organising defensive set-plays for the referee to make a mistake like that†- might well tempt any flawed individual to be a tad vindictive. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not suggesting for one moment that Phil Dowd’s character is flawed, just that others might and there is no denying he is becoming increasingly vulnerable to this type of accusation by virtue of his actions. For that reason alone the PGMO should consider standing him down.

He's given us the rough end of the stick for three seasons now and he's not even subtle about it. On numerous occasions when refereeing us his impartiality can be called to question. JT gets a particularly rough time from him. Personally I think his character is flawed and someone or something at Chelsea has royally p***** him off and he can't get over it.

Last nights performance was embarrassing and his continual chat, banter, laughter & pats on the shoulder with Carroll & Bellamy who are equally odious individuals sums him up.

My boy and I called it as soon as we saw who the ref was and it is a sad reflection on the PGMO that its so damn obvious.

He and Foy need to go ASAP.

Dowd is just a poor ref, but Foy is worse than that, he is not just poor but partial as well. His performance against Palace today was horrific and could have cost them a deserved place in the semi's.

Fabio should have seen red and Palace later should have had a penalty. Even the United players temporarily stopped playing and looked at the ref aghast that a free kick and probable red card hadn't been coming their way for that cynical foul by Fabio on the Palace player.

The standard of refereeing in this country is just scary.

Good post Dorset (as usual). Of course we are on a poor run and cannot use the ref as an excuse for losing last night. The scousers were better on the night unfortunately. Having said that when you are on a poor run confidence is everything and getting the key decisions makes a big difference. Look at how things worked out on Saturday against Wolves where we took an early lead and went on to totally boss the first half. If we had been correctly awarded the penalty last night we may have seen a totally different game unfold. Lets just hope we get better luck against Valencia when we need it the most.