Are Spanish based players that good?.

alan'82

Messi...........brillant.

Xavi..............brillant.

Inesta...........brillant.

Ronaldo........brillant.

But,only one of them has won World player of the year in a different league.

We all have an opinion on the self styled 'Portugese Messi', for example....(He's a tosser),but,fair do's, what a player!.

He has an amazing goal scoring record at Madrid,& a proven record at Man Utd.

It's often said as a metaphor that to be able to win the Premier League,you need to be able to win mid-week at a wet,mid-winter Wigan,(or Stoke,Bolton,etc)...........but sadly,it's true.

If these Spanish based players (& managers for that matter) want to prove they have the bottle,don't you think they need to step out of their comfort zone?.

All the players listed are fantastic and all would do well in the PL.

I think having seen how well Aguero, Silva and Mata have done, its safe to assume Spanish based players are good. Even if the concept of defence is a bit nonexistent over there in all bar a few clubs.

Couldn't you level that same criticism at English-based players, especially British ones?

How many British players let alone managers have had success in other leagues in the past decade?

The standard of the non-CL clubs in England is improving markedly and we're seeing good British management from the likes of Swansea and Norwich. The Championship is undoubtedly the best second-division competition in the world, with its top teams able to comfortably compete with the mid and lower-table teams of the higher division.

However the individual technical standard compared to Spain is still well below. Swansea would be the rule rather than the exception in Spain.

The cliche of the grim, wet games up north being some sort of test unsurpassed in modern sport is nothing more than a cliche born from English parochialism and chest-beating. You don't hear Russians or Italians claiming their leagues are better because of mid-winter games in below freezing temperatures, nor do the Spanish beat their chests loudly about the challenge of playing in the intense Basque or Madrid sunshine (football is a winter sport for a reason). The other thing is that outside of perhaps St James' Park and the big games at Anfield, WHL and Old Trafford, the EPL lacks a "cauldron" that intimidates like what we faced in Napoli or what United will face in Bilbao.

Couldn't you level that same criticism at English-based players, especially British ones?

How many British players let alone managers have had success in other leagues in the past decade?

The standard of the non-CL clubs in England is improving markedly and we're seeing good British management from the likes of Swansea and Norwich. The Championship is undoubtedly the best second-division competition in the world, with its top teams able to comfortably compete with the mid and lower-table teams of the higher division.

However the individual technical standard compared to Spain is still well below. Swansea would be the rule rather than the exception in Spain.

The cliche of the grim, wet games up north being some sort of test unsurpassed in modern sport is nothing more than a cliche born from English parochialism and chest-beating. You don't hear Russians or Italians claiming their leagues are better because of mid-winter games in below freezing temperatures, nor do the Spanish beat their chests loudly about the challenge of playing in the intense Basque or Madrid sunshine (football is a winter sport for a reason). The other thing is that outside of perhaps St James' Park and the big games at Anfield, WHL and Old Trafford, the EPL lacks a "cauldron" that intimidates like what we faced in Napoli or what United will face in Bilbao.

While I agree with your point mate about the record of English based British players/managers in Europe,their technical abilities & such,it isn't British based players who are regarded as the worlds best (sadly),is it?.

I feel the demands of this League are unique & therefore merit special consideration.

Here's a few pointers to what I'm trying to get at:

Does any other top league have 2 top domestic cup competitions?.

Does any other league (while some have a mid-winter break),play a full League programme over Christmas & the new year?.

Does any other league have such a range of 'competitive' teams, not only in the bottom of their own division,but in the lower ones as well?.

If the answer is yes to any one of those,then which other league can answer yes to all of them?.

It's because the English Premier League is so, erm 'difficult,' is what makes it the hardest (imo).

If you look at the clubs who have reached the finals in the European cup/Champions League/UEFA/Europa League,while the Spanish clubs such as Real Madrid & Barcelona dominate its winners chart,have a good look at the variety of English ones that have made it to the finals over the years.

Not to bad when you consider we were banned for 5 years from '85!.

While I'll agree that players such as Messi, Innesta & Xavi are superb players & would grace our league,I do feel that to prove their qualities,they need to show their class in a different set of circumstances,ether here,Germany,Russia or Italy.

I think that's true to an extent because it certainly makes comparisons more valid. However it's not practical, it'd be like saying that Henry, Shearer etc were not as good as people thought because they only succeeded in one league.

The answer to all your other questions, though, is yes. Andy Gray's cliche about wet and windy nights in Stoke is precisely that. If Stoke were a real test of football and manhood then they would be much further up the table than their positions currently suggest.

Just yesterday I read Sid Lowe's article http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sid_lowe/03/14/spain.england/index.html and I think i'm agreeing with a lot of what he says. I guess what sticks out for me is that even though Barcelona and Real Madrid dish out thumpings to La Liga sides on a weekly basis like a pack of school yard bullies, Barcelona have proven they are easily capable of doing so to any of the EPL's top six, such is their dominance- let alone Real Madrid who are 10 points ahead of them in La Liga. I have no doubt that Barcelona or Madrid could easily put 4 or 5 past any of the big English clubs especially given the alarming regularity that such scores have occured in big games this season alone. I don't think the EPL is as defensively testing as it once was.

I think that's true to an extent because it certainly makes comparisons more valid. However it's not practical, it'd be like saying that Henry, Shearer etc were not as good as people thought because they only succeeded in one league.

The answer to all your other questions, though, is yes. Andy Gray's cliche about wet and windy nights in Stoke is precisely that. If Stoke were a real test of football and manhood then they would be much further up the table than their positions currently suggest.

Just yesterday I read Sid Lowe's article http://sportsillustr...land/index.html and I think i'm agreeing with a lot of what he says. I guess what sticks out for me is that even though Barcelona and Real Madrid dish out thumpings to La Liga sides on a weekly basis like a pack of school yard bullies, Barcelona have proven they are easily capable of doing so to any of the EPL's top six, such is their dominance- let alone Real Madrid who are 10 points ahead of them in La Liga. I have no doubt that Barcelona or Madrid could easily put 4 or 5 past any of the big English clubs especially given the alarming regularity that such scores have occured in big games this season alone. I don't think the EPL is as defensively testing as it once was.

Again,I find myself agreeing with many ot the points you have made, but with regards to players such as Henry & Shearer,(& many more),while they achieved so much in the Premier League,like Innesta,Xavi & co, I think it's only fair to question how would have they faired in a league which they're not used to?.

They were top quality players,Henry was re-invented as a striker by Wenger,had a superb spell with the arse & had a good,if brief career at Barcelona,but Shearer never did get to show what he could do outside this country.

On the flip side,we've also seen many skilled players who've struggled here but had/have gone on to shine abroad,Veron,Forlan,Kezman,Crespo etc.Top,top quality players (maybe not Kezman!) who for whatever reason failed to reach their high standards in this league.

Yes I know 'Stoke in midweek' is a bit of a cliche,but the thing is, they represent what I feel makes the EPL so difficult & that is........it's variety.

It's a fair point to say that in one off ties against the poorer skilled English sides,the Spanish (& maybe Italian) teams may win more than they lose,but...

The different teams in the Premier League bring their own philosphy to the table,wherever it be direct or more pass & move.Etheir way they play,they give it 100% & I think its this vareity & the determination that the teams show to prove it, is what make's this league the hardest to win over a season & that's not always apparent in 'one-off' European cup competitions.

That & the break neck speed of our game,the non-stop season,the fan's expectations,the weather etc,etc......