Rangers vs Berwick Rangers (SFL 3rd) 12/01/2013 KO 15:00 GMT

Lofty.

Despite the disappointment of last week's home draw against Elgin City, Rangers remain 17 points clear of second place Queen's Park, and look comfortably on course for the title.

On Saturday Rangers play host to Berwick Rangers, who themselves are currently sitting 6th in the table, having won their last two games. The last time the teams met was back in August at Sheffield Park, at a time when Rangers were struggling away from home, the game ending in a 1-1 draw.

sfl311012013.jpg

Guest RFC_CFC

We need a better performance this weekend that’s for sure, last weekend proved you have to be clinical and not take for granted a 1 goal lead no matter the level of opposition. A GK error cost us the points but the missed chances were criminal.

I want 2 strikers up top in Kyle and Sandaza (Jig has ankle problem) with Barry McKay and David Templeton on either wing.

3 points and a good performance is what I expect.

Rangers 4-2 Berwick

An Andy Little hatrick and another from David Templeton were enough to give Rangers what should have been a far more comfortable victory over their visitors from south of the border. Berwick offered next to nothing for over an hour, but managed to pull two goals back as Rangers lost concentration after going 3-0 up.

Rangers took an early when Andy Little slotted home from a tight angle following a great piece of skill from Franciso Sandaza. Sandaza was also involved in Andy Little's second goal, was the most improved player on the park, and was himself unluckly not to get on the score sheet. If he manages to maintain this level of performance/improvement, he could well go on to be a firm favourite with the fans.

When David Templeton made it 3-0 shortly before the hour mark, a Berwick collapse looked on the cards. The second Berwick goal snapped Rangers out of their comfort zone and within a minute, Andy Little slotted home his third and Rangers fourth goal of the day to secure the points.

Queen's Park's scoreless draw at home to Peterhead puts Rangers nineteen points clear at the top of the table.

Rangers: Neil Alexander, Chris Hegarty, Ross Perry, Emilson Cribari, Lee Wallace, Andy Little, Lewis Macleod, David Templeton, Dean Shiels, Francisco Sandaza

Subs: Blair Currie, Sebastian Faure, Robbie Crawford, Kai Naismith, Fraser Aird

It's also worth mentioning the minute's applause now held after two minutes as a mark of support and respect to Rangers Legend Sandy Jardine, currently battling liver cancer. From the Daily Record:

Rangers legend Sandy Jardine thanks fans for support as he continues cancer battle

THE ex-Scotland international has left intensive care and says the messages from fans have been 'very uplifting'.

sandyjardine.jpg

FORMER Rangers defender Sandy Jardine has expressed his gratitude for the support he has received since it was disclosed he is being treated for cancer.

The former Scotland international's condition was announced by the club last month.

In a statement on Rangers' official website, Jardine said: "I would like to pass on my thanks to everyone who has contacted my family to pass on their support. I have been truly humbled by the good wishes and it has meant so much to me.

"I also know the supporters arranged a minute's applause at the Elgin game on Sunday and I can't thank them enough for that touching tribute.

"It has been a difficult time for me but I am now out of intensive care and the messages of support I have received have been very uplifting.

"I am truly grateful to everyone who has contacted the club and my family to offer their support."

Cheers. I actually watched this game yesterday, despite - or even because of - the clash with the Stoke City game, as part of my own personal boycott. Not intended to impress and obviously going unnoticed, it was something I wanted to for my own benefit as much as anything else.

Archived