Injuries Again

coombsie

It now seems that Both JT and Drogs may miss the first month of the season.

Martin Tyler said that JT told him personally before kick off that a medial ligament injury will keep him out for at least a month. Drogs will have a scan tomorrow and could be out for even longer than JT.

The list of injuries gets worse. Bridge, Ballack, Robben, Terry, Drogba and several more carrying knocks through the Community Shield.

We simply cannot fall behind the pack early on this season. Should RA get the cheque book out again, as we look desperately lightweight upfront.

I cant see any quality players agreeing to come just to fill in and then left on the bench until somebody resuces them at a cut price fee .. If its as serious as first reported then we could be in serious trouble especially Drogs and Terry.

I think cheque book would be closed. It`s shame to sign 4 players to increase strength in depth and suggesting again we have inhury problems.

While having Malouda(I believe he would play with minor inj, like Essien last year`s start of the season), Joey, ESSIEN, Mikel and one of Sheva - Pizarro tie, backed up with Diarra, Kalou - things aren`t so difficult.

Principally, our attacking and defensive strengths are enough to beat Birmingham and Reading and then let`s believe some key players should return.

I believe we can handle it!

I think cheque book would be closed. It`s shame to sign 4 players to increase strength in depth and suggesting again we have inhury problems.

While having Malouda(I believe he would play with minor inj, like Essien last year`s start of the season), Joey, ESSIEN, Mikel and one of Sheva - Pizarro tie, backed up with Diarra, Kalou - things aren`t so difficult.

Principally, our attacking and defensive strengths are enough to beat Birmingham and Reading and then let`s believe some key players should return.

I'm afraid I disagree icon_redface.gif

In most areas of the team we can cope. Keepers - We are spoilt for choice unless further injuries intervene, Centre backs - we should be ok even with JT out as Ricky & Ben Haim look ok and its likely that Alex will now arrive. Full backs - OK right back still looks slightly worrying but Diarra looked fine there mid season last campaign and Ferreira ended the season well. Johnson would be least likely to get this place in my book. Left back will be ok as long as Cashley stays fit, we have Bridge to come back during august and Essien can cover too.

Midfield is clearly the least of our problems with many quality players, permutations and strategies available.

But strikers is another matter !!Drogba is out for the start of the season. We lose him again in 2008 for up to 6 weeks with the African Cup and where would we have been without him last season? Subtract his goals and it we would have had a VERY ordinary season. We have no other strikers remotely likely to get 20+ golas per season. Sheva will play regularly but probably not score until his value had dropped to a level that Meelan can afford, I also believe that after the pre-season in USA, JM has probably lost faith in him. Kalou never has been proliffic and his fitness following injury, at the start of the new season is another cause for concern. Pizarro does look as though he may be a decent purchase. He will probably start as the lone striker (if JM employs that formation) while Drogs is out. Sinclair can be considered one for the future and Joe Cole if pressed into action higher up the field will not let us down, but neither will score enough goals to replace Drogba.

I think that we urgently need to go after McCarthy, long admired by JM and make Blackburn an offer they simply cannot refuse. Failing that, a cheeky bid to bring Eidur back from Barca as I think I like the sound or thought of Pizarro/Eidur a lot more than Sheva/Sinclair.

I'm afraid I disagree icon_redface.gif

But strikers is another matter !!Drogba is out for the start of the season. We lose him again in 2008 for up to 6 weeks with the African Cup and where would we have been without him last season? Subtract his goals and it we would have had a VERY ordinary season. We have no other strikers remotely likely to get 20+ golas per season. Sheva will play regularly but probably not score until his value had dropped to a level that Meelan can afford, I also believe that after the pre-season in USA, JM has probably lost faith in him. Kalou never has been proliffic and his fitness following injury, at the start of the new season is another cause for concern. Pizarro does look as though he may be a decent purchase. He will probably start as the lone striker (if JM employs that formation) while Drogs is out. Sinclair can be considered one for the future and Joe Cole if pressed into action higher up the field will not let us down, but neither will score enough goals to replace Drogba.

I think that we urgently need to go after McCarthy, long admired by JM and make Blackburn an offer they simply cannot refuse. Failing that, a cheeky bid to bring Eidur back from Barca as I think I like the sound or thought of Pizarro/Eidur a lot more than Sheva/Sinclair.

Ok, I got your point, I agree with first part, yeah, but strikers. Here`s what I think:

Our strikers never were a vital problem of our last season`s perfomance.

We have defensive and GK problems, unsettled players problem and we just couldn`t keep possesion and it means we couldn`t play from position of strength. And I agree Drogba was our best player last season. Credit to him. His personal contribution gave us points.

But what do we have now? (In order of importance)

1) Joe Cole is back

2) We signed Malouda (Looks impressive)

3) Obi Mikel is undoubtably better than last season. (Let`s say he`s settled now)

4) Depth in defence and midfield.

5) Pizarro is looking promising.

6) So Wright-Phillips does.

Unarguably our flanks are looking much more impressive than last season, and centre has improved too.(maybe except Lampard, he`s struggling to find his form now(inj or something else), but we know his real abilities).

You see, what I`m trying to say - having so much firepower in the middle, Drogba`s role is slightly decreasing.

Possessing the ball, controlling the game, having a lot of pace, creativity and flair in the middle a lot of goals should be scored from midfielders(away games especially) and any striker could score a lot, first of all, I mean Pizarro.

And I told in other thread what a bloody coctail "Malouda&Robben" we could offer, if should keep the last one.

So,mate, for me buying one more semi-decent striker is just silly.

And buying decent striker (like Villa) is a waste of money right now.

Archived