Wednesday Track Smith

Alan

Sheffield Wednesday are lining up a move for Chelsea youngster Jimmy Smith, reports BBC Radio Sheffield.

It is understood that Wednesday are close to agreeing a season-long loan for the 21-year-old midfielder.

Smith has previously been on loan at QPR, where he scored six goals in 22 league starts, and Norwich.

The highly-rated midfielder came through the Stamford Bridge youth system and has featured heavily for Chelsea reserves.

BBC Sport

To be honest I can never really see him breaking into our first team. It seems he's been shipped out on loan enough times and he's nearly 22.

BBC Sport

To be honest I can never really see him breaking into our first team. It seems he's been shipped out on loan enough times and he's nearly 22.

It's funny, cause I saw the title with "Smith" in it, I saw your name "Alan" and I put two and two together thinking the post was about Alan Smith :lol:

At almost 22 I think it has to be time to move on.

Yet another that we thought would be first teamers falls by the wayside, ala Steve Watt, Joe Keenan and Carlton Cole.

(etc etc)

eh? who seriously thought watt or smith would be first teamers? carlton yes, and keenan to a point, but not every youngster who does well in the reserves will get close.

in fact the majority of them don't. just like at any club. from day one it was obvious jimmy smith was good, but championship level. he's got the potential to one day play in the premiership, but he wouldn't have made it pre roman, never mind now.

eh? who seriously thought watt or smith would be first teamers? carlton yes, and keenan to a point, but not every youngster who does well in the reserves will get close.

in fact the majority of them don't. just like at any club. from day one it was obvious jimmy smith was good, but championship level. he's got the potential to one day play in the premiership, but he wouldn't have made it pre roman, never mind now.

When Watt played for or was in the squad for the 'Scotland futures' or somesuch a lot of fanzines had him down as one to breakthrough. Keenan and Morris were considered by many to be future first teamers...just for your information.

When Watt played for or was in the squad for the 'Scotland futures' or somesuch a lot of fanzines had him down as one to breakthrough. Keenan and Morris were considered by many to be future first teamers...just for your information.

chelsea are and were far better than scotland. but I don't remember that kind of hype. I remember it for mcfadden and pearson a few years ago. watt never seriously got anywhere near the first team squad. keenan set the record (for an outfield player) for most consecutive games on the bench without getting on. he was never going to be muich more than a squad player, and while morris was rightly thought of as a big prospect (by the way I didn't mention him), he messed it up, but not before playing MANY games for us, including starting ahead of di matteo against barca for example.

jimmy smith was never in the same class as jody morris (who at 16, 17 was already training with the first team), he was always going to go to the championship to start his career.

Archived