Kit Numbers?

BrewCrew

Always wondered how kits numbers were determined for certain players? For example, how do they decide #4 goes to Luiz. I know that certain types of players/positions get certain numbers. (2-6 for defenders/some midfielders, 9,11 for strikers, 7,10 for creators, 8 for an important midfielder.)

Also, how is it determined that a young player can change numbers? For example, how does somebody like Sturridge or Kakuta get new numbers in the future? I know Drogba didn't start here with the number 11. He switched to it. Was that his choice or the teams?

Edited by BrewCrew

Players pick their numbers. If their favourite number isn't available (Duff had 11 when Drogba arrived) then they pick one which is. Dunno why Luiz went with 4 rather than the usual centre back 6 - but he would have picked it.

Players pick their numbers. If their favourite number isn't available (Duff had 11 when Drogba arrived) then they pick one which is. Dunno why Luiz went with 4 rather than the usual centre back 6 - but he would have picked it.

Well Luiz is 4 for the Brazil team so that had something to do with it. So why wouldn't Kakuta pick a number like 10 or 7 when he got into the first team? WHy wouldn't Sturridge take 9 when he got here?

Back in the old days when teams played a 2-3-5, the players were numbered in order. Keeper #1, centre backs 2 & 3, midfielders 4, 5, 6 right to left and forwards 7-11 right to left. When the W-M became the popular formation it was basically a 3-2-2-3 so the centre half #5 dropped back to play centre defense (which is why England calls centre backs centre halves) and the 8 & 10 shirt dropped into the midfield, forming the number system (right back 2, left back 3, centre back 5, midfield 4, 6, 8, 10; right forward 7, left forward 11 and centre forward 9).

As to how it's decided well when you pay £50 million and £200k+ a week to a player he gets whatever number he wants and in this case he's a centre forward and wanted 9. If you noticed Chelsea intentionally left 9 and 4 open until a big name came in.

Back in the old days when teams played a 2-3-5, the players were numbered in order. Keeper #1, centre backs 2 & 3, midfielders 4, 5, 6 right to left and forwards 7-11 right to left. When the W-M became the popular formation it was basically a 3-2-2-3 so the centre half #5 dropped back to play centre defense (which is why England calls centre backs centre halves) and the 8 & 10 shirt dropped into the midfield, forming the number system (right back 2, left back 3, centre back 5, midfield 4, 6, 8, 10; right forward 7, left forward 11 and centre forward 9).

As to how it's decided well when you pay £50 million and £200k+ a week to a player he gets whatever number he wants and in this case he's a centre forward and wanted 9. If you noticed Chelsea intentionally left 9 and 4 open until a big name came in.

Very enlightening, nice post.

I always hated it when someone like Boularouz came in and got #9 because it was open. It just didnt feel right. There was another recent one but I have forgotten who it was now.

I always wondered how players sort it out between themselves. In North America, you often hear of a star player coming in, wanting a certain number, and then paying the guy who has the number, or giving him a car or something to get it. If we signed Kun Aguero, and he came along and asked for no. 10 would he and Benayoun just work that out?

AC Milan have a stated position that a player never gives up their number involuntarily, so you had Flamini, Roaldinho, Robinho, Luiz Ronaldo, and Cassano all take numbers in the 80s and 90s to comply. That would annoy the hell out of me, for some reason

Very enlightening, nice post.

I always hated it when someone like Boularouz came in and got #9 because it was open. It just didnt feel right. There was another recent one but I have forgotten who it was now.

I always wondered how players sort it out between themselves. In North America, you often hear of a star player coming in, wanting a certain number, and then paying the guy who has the number, or giving him a car or something to get it. If we signed Kun Aguero, and he came along and asked for no. 10 would he and Benayoun just work that out?

AC Milan have a stated position that a player never gives up their number involuntarily, so you had Flamini, Roaldinho, Robinho, Luiz Ronaldo, and Cassano all take numbers in the 80s and 90s to comply. That would annoy the hell out of me, for some reason

Then there are clubs like Arsenal of the last few seasons who obviously odnt care and had Gallas, a central defender, wearing the #10 shirt.