4-3-3 formation and squad?

irishchelsea90

just cannot understand why we are still playing this 4-3-3 formation. thought if we really went for it against man city we could have got something from the game. in my opinion bosingwa is an absolute disgrace. big summer clearout needed with malouda, bosingwa, mikel, ferreria, hilario etc all gone. also can anyone explain to me why the youth players apart from bertrand seem to have all but been forgotten about? from a lifelong chelsea fan who needs opinions from other blues

Hilario just signed a deal for next year!

You're right we shouldn't be playing 433 but then thats what the manager chose for the Man City game, other than that one he has played 42121, so things are changing, most of the players you've mentioned will probably be going in the summer!

Maybe 41212 i reackon that could work quite well with us. The team could be:

Cech

Ivanovic Luiz Terry Cole

Essien/Meireles

Sturridge Mata

Lampard/Ramires

Torres Drogba

What is everyone elses veiws on that?

I pride myself on being able to understand people's thought processes when it comes to decisions... Specifically with managers, I've often found myself explaining why they've made certain decisions and the reasoning I feel went towards it and why it made sense with the information they had at hand.

Having said all that, I have literally no idea what you are thinking here. At the moment we have problem with central midfield players under-performing, specifically Meireles and Essien, with Lampard not really performing either. So with this in mind you have decided that instead of playing Mikel who has been playing well recently we should play either an underperforming Essien or Meireles. Instead of playing Sturridge and Mata in their preferred roles or anywhere even close they should play the shuttling role (I've forgotten the Italian for it) in the diamond. You have also decided that Ramires who too has underperformed in his last outing (although could be down to being out of position) should play in the hole behind the strikers where Mata would like to play and he has not played before. I'm really, really struggling to see it.

I think our best option may still be the 4-3-3 for the rest of this season but that is only so that we can get the most of our players who are performing well (or better than their competition) on the pitch at the same time. Mikel, Ramires, Lampard although not the most effective midfield trio are currently our best performing centre mids. Mata is dropping off but is of course still far better than most options but because he's dropping off I don't think we can currently justify a formation aimed mainly at getting the most from him such as the 4-2-3-1. Having said that, I would be interested to see that formation with Mikel and Ramires deep, Mata in the hole, Sturridge left, Torres right and Drogba up front but that's an experiment that will have to wait until after Spurs.

If players are out of form there's only so much you can do in terms of formations.

I still like Kakuta and I don't think he's been given a fair crack. I'd quite like to see:-

Cech/Courtois

Ivanovic/Bertrand Cahill Terry/Luiz Cole

Mata/Kakuta Essien Lampard/McEachran Ramires

Lukaku/Sturridge Torres

To quote Mike Bassett : "four-four-f*****g two"

I thought we played 4-2-3-1 last night? I like this formation at the moment, especially when Ramires plays on either wing, because when we lose the ball it means that Ramires drops into the middle to make a compact centre, as and the two wingers drop in to make it into a 433 without the ball.

Maybe 41212 i reackon that could work quite well with us. The team could be:

Cech

Ivanovic Luiz Terry Cole

Essien/Meireles

Sturridge Mata

Lampard/Ramires

Torres Drogba

What is everyone elses veiws on that?

I'm sorry...... what?

I still like Kakuta and I don't think he's been given a fair crack. I'd quite like to see:-

Cech/Courtois

Ivanovic/Bertrand Cahill Terry/Luiz Cole

Mata/Kakuta Essien Lampard/McEachran Ramires

Lukaku/Sturridge Torres

To quote Mike Bassett : "four-four-f*****g two"

Isn't Bertrand a left back? And Kakuta a left midfielder? And ramires a centre / right midfielder?

I cant see Courtois coming back to us to sit on the bench behind cech. He wont be with us for at least another two years i would imagine.

I hope that in your centre backs you mean a rotation between the three, and not that Cahill should be our first choice CB with Luiz & JT rotating lol?

Also, from what ive seen so far, Lukaku isnt good enuogh/ isnt ready for Chelsea. Id like to see a move for Demba Ba in the summer, to replace Didier.

And if Sturridge keeps on being greedy (his game against leicester was nothing short of an embarrassment!) then i couldn't care less if he goes whether he scores 100 more goals than Torres or not.

I only see Jimmy (ramires) as a centre midfielder, playing next to Lampard is ideal, with Mata infront. Essien isnt the player he used to be/hasnt got it back yet, and McEachran does need another season somewhere due to not playing much for the Swans at all. Despite all i have been saying before, i would probably keep mikel, offload Merieles for sure.

I agree Kakuta should be brought back and given a chance i would like to see that and also a move for a creative winger in the summer is a must.

But with that said, I would literally love to see us playing 4-4-2 for the rest of the season. Ive been saying it for weeks.

For what its worth:

Cech

Ivanovic - Terry - Luiz - Cole

Kalou - Lampard - Ramires - Mata

Torres - Drogba

And whats more, you'll be a man, my son.