Chelsea Goals

ddrblue

not the Goals that get you jumping out of yer seats when the ball goes over the line and hit back of the onion bag > but the Goals themsens as in crossbar,posts,nets > we had a very special different shaped onion bag at SB for sure .

This might sound soft but it could be one of the reasons why I started to support chelsea ,along with the white stripe down the shorts and pictures of the north stand .

most if you lot was born into chelsea  via > dads > uncles > brothers or area where you lived ,maybe school friends . I had non of those factors and went out on a limb to pick chelsea from when I was still at primary school > and chelsea were dog poo back then when I was 7 or 8  I guess ,so the goals must have helped .

west ham and qpr seemed to have special goals aswell, ,but not that special in my book .

Never that fussed about goals as long as we won though some certainly stood out like Di Matteo's opener at Wembley or the pinpoint cross from Durie to the far post for Dixon to head in against Liverpool.

The Mark Stein strike against West Ham at Upton Park, Spencer running the length of the Austrian stadium to earn us a point in Vienna.

Then there was the grubby short range strike from Gareth Hall at SB against UTD, looked very ordinary yet won us the 3 points.

The ricochet off Furlong to take us through into the ECWC semis.

They all counted.

It was not the goals that attracted me yet more the paper coverage, must have been my Mum's Daily Mail as Dad got the Telegraph back then. Yet Chelsea were all over the back pages with shots of Dixon and Speedie arms aloft in celebration. Then the chaps at work a couple of years later and that was it, off to join the Blue Faithful and then make friends on the Away trips.

4 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

Never that fussed about goals as long as we won though some certainly stood out like Di Matteo's opener at Wembley or the pinpoint cross from Durie to the far post for Dixon to head in against Liverpool.

The Mark Stein strike against West Ham at Upton Park, Spencer running the length of the Austrian stadium to earn us a point in Vienna.

Then there was the grubby short range strike from Gareth Hall at SB against UTD, looked very ordinary yet won us the 3 points.

They all counted.

It was not the goals that attracted me yet more the paper coverage, must have been my Mum's Daily Mail as Dad got the Telegraph back then. Yet Chelsea were all over the back pages with shots of Dixon and Speedie arms aloft in celebration. Then the chaps at work a couple of years later and that was it, off to join the Blue Faithful and then make friends on the Away trips.

It was blue murder for me up our way trying to get anything cfc related when I was much younger . You would never see a chelsea kit in the local sports shops as they was full of both Sheffield’s ,man utd ,lpool and dirty Leeds .  I used to cut out any chelsea match reports that I fell onto in whatever paper and the best source and only source was shoot magazine .

whenever we went to the seaside > cleethorpes > Scarborough > bridlington i always found cfc stuff in the gift shops but that was about it .

On 02/09/2020 at 14:43, Strider6003 said:

They all counted.

One chelsea goal that seems to be still stuck in my mind was the Bolton 0 chelsea 1 may 1983 ( Clive Walker ) for obvious reasons .

after that win I was in a hotel bar not too far from burden park with a few chelsea and ken bates walked in . He basically said to us all at the bar that ‘’ you will not recognize the chelsea team next season as they was going to sign X amount of players ‘’ > Well Mr.bates was true to his word and that next season we all sang “ hello to the 1st  whilst we’re saying goodbye to the 2nd “

33 minutes ago, ddrblue said:

One chelsea goal that seems to be still stuck in my mind was the Bolton 0 chelsea 1 may 1983 ( Clive Walker ) for obvious reasons .

after that win I was in a hotel bar not too far from burden park with a few chelsea and ken bates walked in . He basically said to us all at the bar that ‘’ you will not recognize the chelsea team next season as they was going to sign X amount of players ‘’ > Well Mr.bates was true to his word and that next season we all sang “ hello to the 1st  whilst we’re saying goodbye to the 2nd “

I met Bates a couple of times, once when I went to SB to become a member and then on the train must have been a Special as he walked through it briefly chatting to us fans. 

I had a grudging respect for him as he seemed a clever chap and whilst under his stewardship he kept us moving forwards, on his terms of course.

45 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

I met Bates a couple of times, once when I went to SB to become a member and then on the train must have been a Special as he walked through it briefly chatting to us fans. 

I had a grudging respect for him as he seemed a clever chap and whilst under his stewardship he kept us moving forwards, on his terms of course.

I have never had no issue with Ken Bates whatsoever ,the way I see it is that he bought chelsea apparently for one quid > £1 > but also the massive debt the club was in came with that quid > and the club was on its arse back then and saying hello to division three was just over our shoulders .

He had to  deal with the Mears first as did they not want to sell SB ? Then the > save the bridge campaign  < and like I said he was true his word when he said he was going to sign X amount of players for the start of the 1984 season .

For sure iam not fully in the loop about Bates as there are chelsea out there who don’t like him ,but I can’t take that onboard when it was Bates himself that started to turn the tide at Stamford Bridge ,Fulham Road,SW6 ,London .