Ange - Ball

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Since Ange football is the hottest football in PL right now and some people say why we don't just copy their game. I take a few screenshot from their highlights vs palace to show how they play. 

Ange football like most modern system is a possesion based football with heavy pressing. Unlike Sarriball, it is not a circuit based and unlike Pepball, it is not a strict position based football. Even during build up you can see tons of movement. 

Screenshot_20231101_133850_YouTube.thumb.jpg.d14a1e3dee31326dca40f1b681daae75.jpg

This is their build up shape. You must be thinking, what the hell is that? That is just a mess. Where is the 32 magical buildup that everyone use 🤭🤭🤭 

The ball then goes to the vdv and davies invert to midfield. Unlike city buildup where you see stones straight away start as dm, you see a lot more movement in Angeball. 

Screenshot_20231101_144016_YouTube.thumb.jpg.1ba78a557aaa2bb29978983c7638c81d.jpg

Vdv run wide and pass the ball to Richarlison who flick the ball to Madison. 

Screenshot_20231101_133934_YouTube.thumb.jpg.b29dba29a421d259e8b9971a125f717f.jpg

This is interesting because you can see 4 player left hand side overload with a st still in the middle. 

Madison has many option here : backpass, pass to Richarlison, beat his man or thread ball to Davies

Screenshot_20231101_152028_YouTube.thumb.jpg.a17058f8ae87bd26996b40652b84945b.jpg

Screenshot_20231101_144038_YouTube.thumb.jpg.e6555e540a9e0ebf22081c0ee661545c.jpg

He pass the ball to Richarlison and Richarlison took a shot. 

This is a nice sequence. People say let's just copy spurs. Imagine if  Richarlison flick get intercepted, vdv will be on sprint race against palace attacker with whole left field wide. Vdv is crazy fast so he will be ok but imagine this were silva. 😱😱😱

(BTW you can see similar 4 man overload often under TT. The biggest difference is you replace Madison with Kai (st), Richarlison with chilwell, Davies with Mount. So if you have a Haaland, he will be in Madison position not in the box , sounds crazy but this was TT ball) 

This is just a very small snippets of Angeball. It is interesting, very dynamic but it is far riskier than let's say pep ball. You need athletic player everywhere. I think there are some interesting stuff that Poch can use but not sure this system suit Enzo as pivot and silva. 

Screenshot_20231101_151436_YouTube.jpg

What's really interesting to me about "Angeball" is not the tactics but the fact that he had Spurs playing this way from almost week one, whereas other teams insist on managers "needing time" to get their ideas across. 

Here's a secret though - Angeball will fail, and historically, it will result in a very bad time for Spurs when it does. Postecogolou is a great manager at developing a team capable of stringing many wins together, but when those streaks have snapped he has not been able to galvanise the team out of a slump.

On 02/11/2023 at 09:01, SydneyChelsea said:

What's really interesting to me about "Angeball" is not the tactics but the fact that he had Spurs playing this way from almost week one, whereas other teams insist on managers "needing time" to get their ideas across. 

Here's a secret though - Angeball will fail, and historically, it will result in a very bad time for Spurs when it does. Postecogolou is a great manager at developing a team capable of stringing many wins together, but when those streaks have snapped he has not been able to galvanise the team out of a slump.

I think it is a myth that you need a long time to implement your idea. The one that usually take time is building your squad. 

I have no idea about Ange track record so I can't say much about will their run continue or not.