Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I read a really interesting article tonight about Portsmouth on the BBC, and I thought I would pass it along, as its a compelling story for anyone with even a passing interest in the game

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...uth/7879229.stm

The long and short of it is that Pompey are in real trouble, both with their finances and in the table which could be doubly deadly. Just a very interesting dissection of how it all went wrong

I remember when Gaydamak bought up shares of the club, people were thinking they, like West Ham, were the next rich kids on the block. They certainly got stronger by adding James, Campbell, Distin, Johno, Defoe, etc. Last season with their FA cup win the seemed to finally be on the verge of something great, and a permanent foundation on which they could eventually catapult themselves toward the elite

But according to this, they are 80 million in debt, with no money to replace sold players, a wage bill that outstrips their revenue, and seemingly nobody is on the way to bail them out. Watching them against the Scousers I was livid they couldnt hold that lead. Now I just feel sorry. Pompey fans seem to be a stout and loyal bunch, and I really hope they dont suffer a similar fate as the likes of Leeds. I hate to say it, but they looked hopeless on Saturday and absolutely devoid of confidence. I would be shocked if they were not in the bottom three in May

Edited by TheWestwayWonder

I read a really interesting article tonight about Portsmouth on the BBC, and I thought I would pass it along, as its a compelling story for anyone with even a passing interest in the game

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...uth/7879229.stm

The long and short of it is that Pompey are in real trouble, both with their finances and in the table which could be doubly deadly. Just a very interesting dissection of how it all went wrong

I remember when Gaydamak bought up shares of the club, people were thinking they, like West Ham, were the next rich kids on the block. They certainly got stronger by adding James, Campbell, Distin, Johno, Defoe, etc. Last season with their FA cup win the seemed to finally be on the verge of something great, and a permanent foundation on which they could eventually catapult themselves toward the elite

But according to this, they are 80 million in debt, with no money to replace sold players, a wage bill that outstrips their revenue, and seemingly nobody is on the way to bail them out. Watching them against the Scousers I was livid they couldnt hold that lead. Now I just feel sorry. Pompey fans seem to be a stout and loyal bunch, and I really hope they dont suffer a similar fate as the likes of Leeds. I hate to say it, but they looked hopeless on Saturday and absolutely devoid of confidence. I would be shocked if they were not in the bottom three in May

next years season tickets have been cut by 16% - sounds like they need supporters money up front.

From Wembley way to sh*t creek without a paddle, all in a year.

Shame

Exactly Bluenut, to see them reach the promised land and a year later go down the tubes would be tragic. Leeds was one thing. I think only Saints fans would be happy to see Pompey go down

I didnt see their game today, but three huge points against Spark's City.

Now four points above the drop zone, and I really hope they can stay there

Edited by TheWestwayWonder

I feel sorry for Pompey, they struggled to get into the Premiership but when they got there they stayed. Their fans are amongst the most passionate around, and I've a lot of respect for them - fought against them enough times!

Hope Pompey stay up, they deserve to, great support - I just hope that Redknapp & Adams didn't f*ck it up too much for them

Agreed, always liked Pompey... I think the majority of that was because of ol 'arry and their fans. Not keen on Adams coz he's an Arse twat, but don't want them to go down, especially now he's gone.

Now I would like to see 'arry go down :rolleyes: