7. The Future (2008 - ?)

loz

Chapter 7 - The Future (2008 - ????)

It is no secret that the Club would like to increase the capacity of the stadium however there are some pretty fundamental obstacles to overcome if they are to achieve this.

fulham%20broadway.jpg

From a logistics perspective there is the issue of accessibility. Due to the proximity of the railway to the stadium access to and from the stadium is restricted to small residential roads and the local Council are far from willing to grant planning application that would result in as many as an additional 13,000 fans trying to make their way to the match and then home again. As a consequence there has been much speculation about of a possible move away from the Bridge, a move which would mean the club would have to relinquish the name Chelsea Football Club due to the terms of the agreement with Chelsea Pitch Owners. This is a point not missed by Ken Bates who said, 'When they talk about Abramovich moving the club to East London or the new Wembley or whatever, you say Great, off you go, rename it Neasden United, give us our pitch back, we'll sign tomorrow and we'll name it Chelsea Football Club Limited, just as Wimbledon have.' There has been speculation about a number of possible venues with the main ones being the Imperial Road Gasworks, Battersea Power Station, and even the Earls Court Exhibition Centre.

sb%20full.gif Personally I can't even being to imagine Chelsea playing at anywhere other than Stamford Bridge. If this article demonstrates nothing else it should at least show that the Bridge is as much, if not more, a part of Chelsea's history then any other person, era, success, or bad decision. The amount of joy and pain that has been caused by this stadium, let alone the football played in it is worth a hell of a lot more to me than 20,000 more seats and better public accessibility. Even if you neglect all that emotional rhetoric there is also the fact that we have only been filling the current stadium for the blink of an eye, and even then there are a number of games where we don't. Moving to a 80,000 capacity stadium could well end up with Chelsea often being watched by a half empty stadium with a hollow atmosphere to match.

Here at the Bridge, whether rain or fine

stamfordbridgeold1.jpg

• 3 years later...

Chapter 7 - The Future (2008 - ????)

It is no secret that the Club would like to increase the capacity of the stadium however there are some pretty fundamental obstacles to overcome if they are to achieve this.

<ahttp://www.thesheden...am broadway.jpg style="padding: 10px; bborder: 0">

From a logistics perspective there is the issue of accessibility. Due to the proximity of the railway to the stadium access to and from the stadium is restricted to small residential roads and the local Council are far from willing to grant planning application that would result in as many as an additional 13,000 fans trying to make their way to the match and then home again. As a consequence there has been much speculation about of a possible move away from the Bridge, a move which would mean the club would have to relinquish the name Chelsea Football Club due to the terms of the agreement with Chelsea Pitch Owners. This is a point not missed by Ken Bates who said, 'When they talk about Abramovich moving the club to East London or the new Wembley or whatever, you say Great, off you go, rename it Neasden United, give us our pitch back, we'll sign tomorrow and we'll name it Chelsea Football Club Limited, just as Wimbledon have.' There has been speculation about a number of possible venues with the main ones being the Imperial Road Gasworks, Battersea Power Station, and even the Earls Court Exhibition Centre.

<ahttp://www.thesheden...dge/sb full.gif style="padding: 10px; bborder: 0"> Personally I can't even being to imagine Chelsea playing at anywhere other than Stamford Bridge. If this article demonstrates nothing else it should at least show that the Bridge is as much, if not more, a part of Chelsea's history then any other person, era, success, or bad decision. The amount of joy and pain that has been caused by this stadium, let alone the football played in it is worth a hell of a lot more to me than 20,000 more seats and better public accessibility. Even if you neglect all that emotional rhetoric there is also the fact that we have only been filling the current stadium for the blink of an eye, and even then there are a number of games where we don't. Moving to a 80,000 capacity stadium could well end up with Chelsea often being watched by a half empty stadium with a hollow atmosphere to match.

Here at the Bridge, whether rain or fine

<ahttp://www.thesheden...dbridgeold1.jpg style="padding: 10px; bborder: 0">

Yes I agree, there is something very special about Stamford Bridge that is more than just about the history of Chelsea Football club. It's also a part of the life and history of each and every one of us Chelsea fans who stood on it's terraces over the decades through thick and thin.

I know it no longer looks like it did back in the days of the old Shed, but it is still our sacred and spiritual home.

I will never forget the old Stadium as it was in my youth, nor the adrenalin rush that used to surge through me when I climbed those steps up into the Shed on many a Saturday afternoon and I could never contemplate Chelsea Football Club moving anywhere else. Lets work to make it bigger and keep Chelsea Football club at the Bridge for future generations to enjoy

I agree, but, the club dont want to move for fun..They want the revenue increase...If they cant do it via rebuilds at the Bridge , then unfortunately they have to move..Im sure Roman doesnt want to keep bailing the club out..He would prefer it to be self sufficiant....No one at the Bridge hierachy would want to move if not needed

I agree, but, the club dont want to move for fun..They want the revenue increase...If they cant do it via rebuilds at the Bridge , then unfortunately they have to move..Im sure Roman doesnt want to keep bailing the club out..He would prefer it to be self sufficiant....No one at the Bridge hierachy would want to move if not needed

I don't feel that it is beyond the ability of top architects to be able to design a larger capacity Stadium on the Stamford Bridge site. Certainly there would be planning issues, but with imagination I am sure that they could be overcome. More Space could be found by demolishing the hotel etc. and also building over the top of the bordering railway lines. This may be a bit pricey but it would be a case of protecting the clubs history and at the same time building for the future.

Im sorry to disagree again , but , i have to reiterate, that if it could be done it would be..Weve all viewed the stands and it looks feasable to put another tier on the northstand, it seems possible to add a larger shed end if you as youve said, get rid of hotel and megastore around the back n sides...The protected outer old wall outside shed end could then be incorporated inside the base of the newstand...possible for an extra tier on weststand...man utd built upwards..But then there is definately a requirement for another train line and station at the north end of the ground...fulham rd couldnt cope without it....its a tough one...i hope we can stay

Im sorry to disagree again , but , i have to reiterate, that if it could be done it would be..Weve all viewed the stands and it looks feasable to put another tier on the northstand, it seems possible to add a larger shed end if you as youve said, get rid of hotel and megastore around the back n sides...The protected outer old wall outside shed end could then be incorporated inside the base of the newstand...possible for an extra tier on weststand...man utd built upwards..But then there is definately a requirement for another train line and station at the north end of the ground...fulham rd couldnt cope without it....its a tough one...i hope we can stay

Yes me too, but it is interesting that the council seem to now think that there could be a solution to the club staying with an increased capacity.

Yes me too, but it is interesting that the council seem to now think that there could be a solution to the club staying with an increased capacity.

By the way no need to apologise for disagreeing as healthy debate is a good thing and we all have the clubs best interest at heart

• Santa unpinned this topic