Did john Bumstead ever get a testimonial?

Benches

One of if not my alltime favourite Blue.

A club stalwart and loyal Chelsea man, definitely deserving of a testimonial cos he was at the Bridge for well over 10 years.

Anyone remember if he ever had one?

Well deserved - a great servant. Deserves a staircase more than Spackman!!

Agreed, I don't suppose anyone has a spare programme from this game do they?

As to your second point I've just written up this letter regarding that point, which I will endevour to send into Chelsea:

Dear Sir,

over the years of following Chelsea I have been blessed to watch some players who have made a huge contribution to Chelsea Football Club. The more illustrious have grabbed headlines, winners medals and international caps aplenty. Those that immediately spring to mind are goalscorers like Kerry Dixon, Jimmy Hasselbaink and Didier Drogba. Then there are those that have delighted with their skill and wizardry such as Pat Nevin and Gianfranco Zola. We have had midfielders like Wise and lampard who have provided industry and leadership from the middle of the park. At the back we have had some good shot stioppers like De Goey, Cudicini and Cech and just in front of them world class defenders like Desailly, Terry and Lebeouf. We've also had cult figures like Joey Jones and Petar Borota who in a comparitively short space of time have made an indelible impression on the fans.

All of the aforementioned have earned the plaudits and respect and love from the fans that their exploits have richly deserved. However, there is another group of players, perhaps less talented, certainly less heralded who have been an integral part of Chelsea's success through their loyalty, dedication and long years of service to the club. Steve Clarke and Mickey Droy fit into this category having both provided 10+ years of service.

There is a third player who fits this description, namely John Bumstead who made 339 appearances over 13 years, scoring 38 goals for Chelsea from 1978 to 1991. Coming up from the junior ranks he did not have the luxury of playing with the more glamorous teams of the early 70s or those of the mid-late 90s but in the intervening years he was a stalwart, a fixture of the team and a great servant to the club. A Chelsea man through and through he did not get to play in an era when players were richly rewarded, indeed by all accounts he makes his living driving a cab these days but not a hint of bitterness, jealousy or regret seems evident when I have read his interviews. He has never bad mouthed or disrespected the club or the fans. It's a term that is grossly overused but he is in my estimation a Chelsea legend.

And yet despite acknowledging that he received his testimonial in 1987 it seems that his contribution to the club is today, in 2011, somewhat overlooked. In some respects he seems a forgotten man. Belatedly I will come to the point of writing this letter: For the above stated reasons I contend that Chelsea Football Club do more to recognise John Bumstead. Whether it is an award that is given out in his name (to a playing or non playing employee for excellent service) or a part of Stamford Bridge named in his honour I think it is imperative that this latest generation of Chelsea fans be made aware of all that he did in what were difficult and tumultuous years for the club.

Please consider my request. I am sure that my sentiments reflect those of many more fans.

Kind regards,

Edited by Benches

Agreed, I don't suppose anyone has a spare programme from this game do they?

As to your second point I've just written up this letter regarding that point, which I will endevour to send into Chelsea:

Brilliant letter - agree with every word. Let us know what reply you get.