f.a. cup southampton chelsea

motorhead

as we have southampton tommorrow it reminded me of the 3rd round game i went to years ago.it was about 1980 or 81 away at what must have been called "the dell"..i remember we lost and im sure it was 3/1..whoever was our regular keeper at the time i think was not playing so we had a young lad in goal called steve francis.we was all fenced off behind the goal and i remember kevin keegan scoring against us and celebrating right by the fence,which made our end go mad and some supporters tried to climb the fence to get hold of him..

those were the days,we just used to decide which game to go to,turn up and in yer go,no mucking about being a member or having a ticket.i used to love away games,spurs away,west ham away,brighton,qpr,cambridge,watford etc...

oh well im rambling on a bit,lets hope we win on saturday...

as we have southampton tommorrow it reminded me of the 3rd round game i went to years ago.it was about 1980 or 81 away at what must have been called "the dell"..i remember we lost and im sure it was 3/1..whoever was our regular keeper at the time i think was not playing so we had a young lad in goal called steve francis.we was all fenced off behind the goal and i remember kevin keegan scoring against us and celebrating right by the fence,which made our end go mad and some supporters tried to climb the fence to get hold of him..

those were the days,we just used to decide which game to go to,turn up and in yer go,no mucking about being a member or having a ticket.i used to love away games,spurs away,west ham away,brighton,qpr,cambridge,watford etc...

I always liked the Dell, we played them off the park the year after they won it with Kenny Swain missing two one-on-ones against the goalie, it was all ticket so no Chelsea other than in the away end which was absolutely rammed.  I went in the League Cup a couple of years later where Keegan hand balled one in, maybe disallowed I can't remember.  The away end was packed yet again and there was loads of Chelsea in the terrace to our right.  Southampton came onto the pitch at the full time giving it the big one to us behind the fences when our lot at the side came on as scattered them back into the other end.

I was at that game too, 3rd January 1981 at the Dell. Southampton won 3-1 as you say, with goals by Kevin Keegan, Steve Moran and Graham Baker - Colin Lee scored our goal. Steve Francis didn't play in this game though, Petar Borota played every game we played that season. The team that day: -

Petar Borota, Gary Locke, Micky Droy, Gary Chivers, Dennis Rofe, Johnny Bumstead (sub Phil Driver), Ian Britton, Mike Fillery, Peter Rhoades-Brown, Clive Walker, Colin Lee

this was going to be my first away game outside london but a couple of weeks before i got caught trespassing on the railway and had to go to euston with my old old man for a caution on the day of the game. i was devastated all my mates went and i had to listen to there storys about it for months afterwards

Archived