Time for a change at the back?

Raven8er

First topic I've started and I wish it was on better terms but would be interested to see what everyone's thoughts were on our much needed changes at the back.

Firstly, our game against City should be a wake up call - we were at shambles whenever City came forward and Aguero could have and should have had bagged two goals before half time. Granted we were playing against the best attacking team in the League but Terry and Cahill looked second rate and the pace of Aguero was too much.

I think we need to make some changes against West Brom and wouldn't mind seeing Jose send this team out -

CoHorrible, we've been second rate since pre-season. I know it's early days but we don't look like a team of champions by any means. Hate to say it but this could be a LONG season. Hopefully this showing against City wakes us up!

Courtois

Dave - Cahill/Terry - Zouma - Rahman

Rami/Mikel - Matic

Willian - Fabregas - Hazard

Costa

Harsh to leave Begovic out because I thought he was brilliant yesterday but Courtois gets the nod. Ivanovic NEEDS to have a spell on the sidelines and I'd like to see what Rahman is about and the only way that's going to happen is if Ivanovic starts on the bench.

Having said all that, I don't see Jose making too many changes if not any but we'll just have to wait and see what happens next Saturday.

I think everyone here wants what you have said, the question is will Mou change his ways in response to whats going on, Terry stays he is the best CB in England, if he is with a pacey CB like zouma he being so much to te table and Zouma needs to learn from him, Garry brings very little he hasn't been good enough for a while now..maybe ever and Branas days are numbered at right back anyway, surely we can't start him regularly even last year when he was rated highly he always left us exposed on that right side and stopped Willian being able to really be an attacker 

Yeah good point. I think Zouma has the potential to be a quality CB and playing alongside Terry can only be beneficial for his progress. Only problem is who we play IF we end up signing Stones. Would love to see Zouma start with JT but can't see us splashing 30mil + for Stones just to have him on the bench.

First topic I've started and I wish it was on better terms but would be interested to see what everyone's thoughts were on our much needed changes at the back.

Firstly, our game against City should be a wake up call - we were at shambles whenever City came forward and Aguero could have and should have had bagged two goals before half time. Granted we were playing against the best attacking team in the League but Terry and Cahill looked second rate and the pace of Aguero was too much.

I think we need to make some changes against West Brom and wouldn't mind seeing Jose send this team out -

CoHorrible, we've been second rate since pre-season. I know it's early days but we don't look like a team of champions by any means. Hate to say it but this could be a LONG season. Hopefully this showing against City wakes us up!

Courtois

Dave - Cahill/Terry - Zouma - Rahman

Rami/Mikel - Matic

Willian - Fabregas - Hazard

Costa

Harsh to leave Begovic out because I thought he was brilliant yesterday but Courtois gets the nod. Ivanovic NEEDS to have a spell on the sidelines and I'd like to see what Rahman is about and the only way that's going to happen is if Ivanovic starts on the bench.

Having said all that, I don't see Jose making too many changes if not any but we'll just have to wait and see what happens next Saturday.

For me, bigger than the problems at the back is Fabregas. He is horribly out of form but we have no replacement. Last season we never started well defensively, and him leaving gaping holes in the midfield was a big part of that but we covered it up by being ruthless in attack. He was poor in the opening game and then again today within 10 seconds he was at fault. But this time he's not bringing enough to our attacking game to warrant his defensive issues. He seems so slow and ponderous on the ball.

Your team also has him as the 10 and we have never, ever played well with him in that role. I'd give Cuadrado a run. Drop Fabregas. Play Ramires. Even as I type this I get frustrated at our midfield options...

For me, bigger than the problems at the back is Fabregas. He is horribly out of form but we have no replacement. Last season we never started well defensively, and him leaving gaping holes in the midfield was a big part of that but we covered it up by being ruthless in attack. He was poor in the opening game and then again today within 10 seconds he was at fault. But this time he's not bringing enough to our attacking game to warrant his defensive issues. He seems so slow and ponderous on the ball.

Your team also has him as the 10 and we have never, ever played well with him in that role. I'd give Cuadrado a run. Drop Fabregas. Play Ramires. Even as I type this I get frustrated at our midfield options...

I agree fabregas isn't in the best form, but I also think that part of it is a knock on effect from a lack of pace and balance at the back.

He seems to spending all his energy trying to help matic protect the back 4, and stop teams exposing us. When we get the ball there is very little movement ahead of him, the full backs are reluctant to get forward, and all becomes slow lethargic and indecisive.

When was the last time we looked good going forward for more than 30 mins in a match? We just don't look that dangerous.

I was a little dissapointed with the departure of Luis. The way Ivanovic is playing I'd have Dave and Luis playing as LB and RB in a heartbeat. Going forward in general has been a concern, we're not knocking the ball around fast enough which allowed City to get back into position. As I and everyone keeps saying, it's still early days and we're only 2 games into the season but things need to change for the West Brom game if we have any chance of taking away the 3 points.

Archived