Cup winners offered new Euro plan

sergeyMS

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 507131.stm

Uefa may introduce a play-off system between the cup holders in each of Europe's domestic leagues, with a Champions League place as the prize.

Under proposals being discussed, the winners of each country's main knockout competition would feature.

Uefa spokesman William Gaillard said: "We want to revitalise the cup competitions in each country which have suffered in recent years.

"Giving the cup winners one of these spots is something we will discuss."

Awarding the cup winner one of their country's automatic positions is also being tabled, but is likely to be seen as a step too far.

At present, cup winners qualify for the Uefa Cup.

And Gaillard added: "If the cup winner goes to the Champions League, then that third or fourth-placed team in the league goes to the Uefa Cup. There has to be some reality.

"But to be honest if the same team that finishes first, second or third in the league ends up winning the cup, then the place would go to the next team in the league."

Introduce a play off scheme. A play off scheme between who? Between the cup winner and 4th placed team in each country (i.e. one game per country) or a play off scheme bewteen all cupm winners (i.e. numerous games)

If it is the latter then it is a nonsense idea. if it is the former then it isn't so bad. personally I would rather see there being less teams in the CL from each country however if they are to stick to the current numbers then I would rather the cup winners qualified automatically as this really would make it a more desirable trophy to win. Say limit it to a maximum of three teams per country. Winners, 2nd spot and domestic cup winner and if the domestic cup winner is also one of the top two places then I guess it should either be the 3rd place team or the domestic cup runners up.

Having said all that I would ratherhave

1. Just the champions qualify for CL

2. Second spot and dmoestic cup winners qualify for UEFA cup

and that applies to all leagues in Europe, no pre-qualifying etc

Having said all that I would ratherhave

1. Just the champions qualify for CL

2. Second spot and dmoestic cup winners qualify for UEFA cup

and that applies to all leagues in Europe, no pre-qualifying etc

It seems this idea leads to destroying all co-effecients system.

And how would we decide who would play in qualifying round. Or is any possibility to select 32/64 participants directly?

Personally, I think that they shouldn't bother with any kind of play-off. The winner of the FA Cup should get a Champion's League place. End of story.

They deserve it about 100 times more than the 4th placed side in the Premiership - because they have actually won something.

In fact, I would like to see the four places divided up like this -

Place 1 - Premierhip Winners

Place 2 - Premiership Runners Up

Place 3 - FA Cup Winners

Place 4 - Carling Cup Winners.

That way, 3 out of the 4 places go to teams who are winners.

No that would put a pretty quick end to Ferguson and Wenger's devaluation of the Cup competetitions. We would see full-strength sides playing like they want to win.

It would also mean that we would see even more comitment from lower sides, and give the lower sides something to seriously aim at towards the end of the season.

In fact team winning Carling Cup or FA Cup have to win 6 rounds, I`m talking about Premier League team.

And team who finishes 3rd or 4th have to win about 20 games. So for me it`s very difficult to say which team deserves a Champions League`s place more.

I don`t know the right question, but I know it was very nice to watch Chelsea, ManUTd, Arsenal and Liverpool this season, because they`re the best teams England have. If we would switch the system what representives were we having this season???

Chelsea, ManUtd, Wigan (Carling Cup runner up), Liverpool (FA Cup winner).

I don`t like Arsenal much. icon_wink.gif But anyway it`s more interesting than Wigan, you can`t disagree......

Or FA Cup runners-up West Ham is not much better - relegation battler this season.....

Here`s the system I like:

Champion and FA Cup winner qualify straight to CL group stage......

2nd placed team and CC winner qualify to CL 3rd qualifying round.....

No cup runner-ups are allowed.

If Champion and FA CUp winner is the same team then 2nd placed team pasts to CL group st.

CC winner and 3rd place qualify to CL 3rd round qfl.

And every other situation is like last one.

For this season it would be:

Chelsea&Liverpool - group stage;

ManUtd&Arsenal - 3rd round;

And how would we decide who would play in qualifying round. Or is any possibility to select 32/64 participants directly?

Well basically my system would have no need for co-efficients or qualifying rounds. I'm not sure exactly how many leagues there are in Europe but I am guessing there is at least 32. This is enough teams to allow us to go back to a good old fashioned straight knock out tournament with two rounds, a QF, SF then Final.

Every game crucial, most games a sell out, most games with a lot of atmosphere.

And on top of that the UEFA cup becomes an important trophy again as there will be a lot of top teams in it.

Well basically my system would have no need for co-efficients or qualifying rounds. I'm not sure exactly how many leagues there are in Europe but I am guessing there is at least 32. This is enough teams to allow us to go back to a good old fashioned straight knock out tournament with two rounds, a QF, SF then Final.

Every game crucial, most games a sell out, most games with a lot of atmosphere.

And on top of that the UEFA cup becomes an important trophy again as there will be a lot of top teams in it.

But that`s the problem I`m talking about. I`m sure the number is 32. Probably 36 or 37 or 40 leagues, so who play and who not?

Archived