Gelsenkirchen (Schalke) Travel Guide

Gelsenkirchen travel guide

There are no direct flights to Gelsenkirchen - as there is no airport - but Dusseldorf is a mere 45 km away.

Getting there is straightforward, with daily direct flights from Stansted and Leeds with budget carriers Air Berlin and Jet2 respectively plus services from Heathrow, Manchester and Birmingham with either Lufthansa or British Airways.

Car rental agencies are located in central arrivals but public transport is a straightforward proposition.

Take the S-bahn, located at the airport, to the Hauptbahnhof. The 12 minute journey costs ?2 (buy a Zone A ticket) and jump on the train headed for Solingen-Ohligen.

There are five trains per hour from Dusseldorf to Gelsenkirchen with the journey time around 40 minutes and the service runs all night if you find yourself caught up in the former city's more sophisticated nightlife.

To get to the Veltins Arena, take tram 302 from the lower level of Gelsenkirchen railway station in the direction of Gelsenkirchen-Buer as far as the "Arena AufSchalke" stop.

The local transport authority runs plenty of extra trams to all matches and it's free of charge if you have a ticket.

If you are travelling by car you should leave the A2 motorway at the exit signposted Gelsenkirchen-Buer and then follow the signs.

To get to the Arena and the other club facilities users of public transport should take tram No. 302 from the lower level of Gelsenkirchen railway station (Hauptbahnhof) in the direction of Gelsenkirchen-Buer as far as the "Arena AufSchalke" stop.

Persons with restricted mobility should alight at "Willy-Brandt-Allee", as there are no steps to negotiate and it is only slightly further from the Arena.

The local transport authority runs plenty of extra trams to all matches and other major events held in the Arena. Holders of match or event tickets are entitled to use all public transport services in the Rhine-Ruhr Transport Authority (VRR) region free of charge.

A detailed online timetable for local public transport is available on the website of the Rhine-Ruhr Transport Authority. This service is now available in English. For national train information please consult the English-language DB Travel Service on the German Railways website.

If you are travelling by car you should leave the A2 motorway at the exit signposted Gelsenkirchen-Buer and then proceed according to the map provided below.

Please note: For football matches and other events car parks P1, P2 and P3 can be used only by holders of a special pass. Free parking is available on the areas marked with a "P" on Adenauerallee and Willy-Brandt-Allee.

A black-and-white version of this map is available for printing out

for more details please click link http://www.schalke04.de/getting_to_schalke.html

click link for Rhine-Ruhr Transport Authority = http://www.vrr.de/en/index.html

click link for DB Travel Service = http://bahn.hafas.de/bin/query.exe/en?l ... quest=yes&

click link for German Railway Website = http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

GELSENKIRCHEN - The Veltins Arena

Capacity:53,804 All Seater (Construction costs: ?192m)

The Veltins Arena is the new name for Schalke?s futuristic stadium. Since it was constructed in 2001, it has been known under various names including the SchalkeArena and the AufArena. Now the club have signed a multi-year deal with the Brewers Veltins to sponsor the stadium, although for the World Cup Finals it will revert to a simply titled World Cup Stadium Gelsenkirchen. During Bundesliga matches, Schalke will have over 61,000 fans in the stadium, but as part of this stadium is a standing area, the capacity will be reduced for the tournament. The stadium was recently graded by UEFA as a 6-star venue, the first of its kind in Europe. This was in recognition of the magnificent job the stadium did in hosting the 2004 Champions League Final, where Jose Mourinho?s Porto easily beat Monaco 3-0.

So what makes it so special? The Stadium has a retractable roof, which opens and closes in just 20 minutes ? offering complete cover for all spectators. This therefore enables them to host indoor events such as concerts and exhibitions ? a fact made easier by the ability to remove the pitch completely in one section, unlike the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, by lifting one of the end seating sections up slightly and sliding it out on casters. This means that the Arena will never suffer the issues that enclosed stadiums such as the San Siro, Old Trafford and the Amsterdam Arena have experienced. The stadium was also one of the first to eliminate the use of cash in the stadium by implementing a chip and pin card.

What makes the stadium even more impressive is that Schalke actually had a perfectly good ground located next door to the Veltins Arena. The Park Stadion was their home from 1974 until 2001, built on the waste from the regions coal mines in time for the 1974 World Cup Finals. The club regularly filled the 70,000 capacity stadium, but facilities were basic for the majority of fans, with huge banks of terracing exposed to the harsh Ruhr elements. The reward for the loyal fans was the commencement of construction on the Schalke Arena in 2000. However, the ParkStadion still sits idly beside the new Arena, and is now used as a venue for practice matches. Part of the old south terrace has been demolished to make way for a hotel and a conference centre, but plans have still not been drawn up to determine the fate of this old ground, that would put many other current stadiums being used in Europe to shame. The club also has half a dozen training pitches located around the stadiums which are used by the youth academy teams. The club?s original ground ? the Gl?ckauf Kampfbahn, - where Schalke played in front of capacity crowds from 1904 until 1974 can still be seen on Berliner Brucke Strasse, half way between the new stadium and the town centre. This venue was renowned throughout the land as the home of the most passionate fans, and despite their relatively recent baron past, the crowds intensity has not waned at all ? last season Schalke averaged 61,341, second only to rivals Borussia Dortmund in terms of quantity, but with a total capacity of 61,524 it had a utilisation of 99.9% - easily the highest in Germany, and in Europe.

On non matchdays, tours are available around the stadium, normally being run twice a day. They start in the Museum which is on the 2nd level at Gate 18. The tour gives visitors access to the pitch level, dressing rooms and media centre. Admission is ?8 for Adults and ?4 for Children. You may need to prebook these by either emailing the tour team at tour@veltins-arena.de, or by calling them on +49 209 3892 900. All tour guides speak excellent English. The Arena website also gives details of the stadium in English at http://www.veltins-arena.de.

source: http://www.thefullerguide.co.uk/index.p ... a_home&a=6

as for places where you can have drink, well gelsenkirchen is full of pubs and whoever been there for the world cup back in 2006 will know where to go.as for the pubs in gelsenkirchen city centre and that one at the trainstation (charlys bummelzug) be advised that schalke supporters use this pub before and after the game icon_wink.gif but still i am sure you will find plenty of pubs in gelsenkirchen where the chelsea supportes will be and if you dont, dont worry as you will be able to have a few lagers in the stadium itself as it sells alcohol icon_cool.gif

Cheers for all the info so far!

I went there for the World Cup,when we were cheated out of it by a dis-honest bunch from Portugal!

Have you ever made the trip from Calais on the Train?

Does anybody know how I can find information on the TRAIN journey from Calais to Gelsenkirchen??

Otherwise looks like we are driving.

Thanks,

Rob.

Also,if we drive.

We will probably stay the night in but dont particually fancy staying in Gelsenkirchen.

Can anyone suggest any nearby Cities with good nightlife that we can get back to after the match??

I dont want much do I?? icon_rolleyes.gif

Rob

Amsterdam. Practically on your way back icon_lol.gif

Cheers for all the info so far!

I went there for the World Cup,when we were cheated out of it by a dis-honest bunch from Portugal!

Does anybody know how I can find information on the TRAIN journey from Calais to Gelsenkirchen??

Otherwise looks like we are driving.

Thanks,

Rob.

Try this link

no i havent mate, but i cant see it being a problem.i once went from london via calais by a bus to amsterdam but normaly i would go by air as its less stressfull

nice to see a fan join the board and not immediately start talking rubbish and slag us of. unlike the dippers and that mental sofia fan from last season.

why would i slag ya off or be funny with any of you? to me there is no need to behave like a muppet and cause havoc.but yeah i know what ya mean, we once had a few muppets on the schalke board who supported fenerbahce istanbul and all they did was talk rubbish and tried to provoke other users through their attitude and dumb arse postings

weve had some liverpool fans on here making complete arses of themselves. and a couple of manyoo fans too. last season a sofia fan came on and was wanting us killed. he was a bit of a mentallist.

i bet he was icon_lol.gif

Archived