Grant v. Mourinho

MannyJello

Nick Webster, a columnist and TV personality on the Fox Soccer Channel in the US, wrote a great piece for the website today. Full column here. Best parts:

Mourinho has made it to seven Cup finals during his time as manager of FC Porto and Chelsea. His record is quite simply 'played seven, won seven'. The reason for this success was a single-mindedness to win the trophy up for grabs regardless his relationship with certain players. If he had been coaching Chelsea on Sunday with a one-goal lead and twenty minutes left to play, I'm convinced the Blues would have won their third League Cup in four years. The 'Special One' would have made his team feel like giants instead of the mere mortals they were under Grant. Mourinho's presence in the coaching box would have galvanized the team before doubt crept in. Jose would have made the difference.

Grant inherited a squad with experience, talent and know-how. Grant inherited possibly the best squad in the world. Grant has now lost the three big games where coaching really matters. He has lost to Sir Alex Ferguson's Manchester United and Arsene Wenger's Arsenal in the Premier League, derailing Chelsea's hopes of regaining the title. And now he's lost in his first final. The post-match questions were plentiful. Why play Didier Drogba and Nicolas Anelka together when they have never worked in partnership before? Does Anelka even look like a wide man? Why leave Michael Ballack rotting on the bench for 88 minutes when Frank Lampard is having his usual Wembley stinker? And then why replace Michael Essien instead of Lampard? Why didn't you start with Joe Cole, Chelsea's most effective player all season? Avram Grant, you have been found out.

Guest Brian M
I'm pretty sure the year Mourinho won the Champions League and the league title with Porto he lost the Portuguese domestic cup final to Benfica.

Even if that's the case, the point made in the article is just as valid. Grant has been found out. Which is no surprise as most of us on here said as much when he first got the job of manager in the first place. It was a joke then, and after losing to Sp*rs in a final for f*ck sake, it's a joke now. And the fans are the punch-line.

Cant argue with the point's made, looks like my initial feeling of we'r about to see us go backwards over the next 4 years to the point where we are fighting for 5th place again is going to happen.

I also believe if Jose was still manager we would be a lot closer to arse in the league

Brian not so much the case of "being found out": rather that the truth will always out eventually. He was never the business - we (well some of us) knew it from day 1. Since then we've constantly had to read these pages stomaching the soft cock and mostly assinine comments from various quarters about how well the Panda has done (like against the Arse or Manure of the filth or lesser teams) when the reality is we've been mostly getting by against lesser teams on the strength of our squad rather than on any notions of "superior" and "attractive" football. If we lose against Olympiakos (God Forbid) or in the quarters (even chances depending upon whom we draw) then not only will it be a comeuppance and reckoning for the Tsar (regarding his treatment of JM and this club) but it may hopefully provide a silver lining and the impetus for him to bring in a proper manager, a couple of high quality wingers and perhaps a playmaker in central midfield (together with another striker should Drogs leave). Although I wouldn't hold your breath - Tsars have a habit of being particularly intransigent at critical times. Frankly, if we're dumped out of the CL and don't win the FA (given we'e not going to win he EPL) then I wouldn't be surprised to see the Tsar depart sooner rather than later.

posted this after the CL game last week:

Big games, Manu (1st game blah blah) Arsenal (Cech's fault blah blah...) Liverpool - no excuse. Last night no excuse. We don't win big important games anymore!

In big games, not even against big opposition (Liverpool -club in crisis and Olympiakos - average CL side who 'make up the numbers') we don't have the tactical nouse to change and win matches.When players look to the bench for a leader or assistance Grant doesn't offer it. In both those games we never had a decent goal scoring chance, and never looked like winning any of the big games mentioned, at any stage!

Add Spurs to that list aswell now.............we lacked leadership, know-how and passion. The 3 things JM had in abundance.

More worringly, I think we're heading inevitably towards a mass exodus in the summer, whether Grant leaves or not. At our best under Jose, we had a phenomenally united group of players all totally dedicated towards a common goal - doing whatever the manager told them to do with 100% effort. Now, we look a bit rotten inside.

I've accepted that Drogba and probably Lamps are leaving, although im not happy about either (especially the latter) but I worry we may see some other leave if they are not given strong assurances that the club is moving in the right direction again. Can you honestly tell me 100% that JT and Joe Cole will be at the club if Grant is manager for next season.... I know I can't. Much as I can't see either of them leaving, footballers' careers are short ones, and if they think the ship is really sinking, how many will be prepared to shun a big move to a stable club, to go down with it?

Negative I know, and if we pull our socks up and storm through the next 3 games, maybe the gloom will lift again, but there ain't something right as CFC, that's for sure.

Cant argue with the point's made, looks like my initial feeling of we'r about to see us go backwards over the next 4 years to the point where we are fighting for 5th place again is going to happen.

I also believe if Jose was still manager we would be a lot closer to arse in the league

As long as Abramovich pumps his 100 million or so pounds out of his own pocket to subsidise the clubs spending each year, even I could manage the club into a top 4 finish year in year out.

Like Grant or not, Chelsea have too much talent and money to finish outside the top 5.

As long as Abramovich pumps his 100 million or so pounds out of his own pocket to subsidise the clubs spending each year, even I could manage the club into a top 4 finish year in year out.

Like Grant or not, Chelsea have too much talent and money to finish outside the top 5.

Let ya in to a little secrate qaz, CR was given a decent sized cheque book first in his first season, think he spent about 50 mill, didnt get a top four finished. sure he got it together in the end but it took time. i wouldnt take our place in the top four for GRANT-ed (sorry couldnt resist)!! BackJose.gifBackJose.gifBackJose.gif

I haven't been on here for quite a while ( don't seem to find the time anymore ), but sundays game really worried me, and after reading the posts in this thread, I'm not the only one.

All this talk of how well the Panda has done really is crap. He inherited one of the best squads in Europe, completely galvanised by The Special One, a group of winners, who under even average leadership, should be able to challenge on all fronts. This they have done so far this season, but now that we are coming to the crunch time of the season in all the competitions we are involved, a distinct lack of knowledge and any kind of leadership from Grant, is now becoming very apparent. The starting line-up for the CC final was all wrong, the substitutions were at the wrong time and involved the wrong players. Anyone else notice at the half time interval in ET that JT was barking out the orders and laying down the law to everyone ? Did you also notice the panda on the periphery of this group scratching his head as if he didn't have a clue what to do ?

Drogs and Anelka together may work, but surely the final of a competition is not the place to initially try out a pairing. I think we all know that it should have been two out of the three of Cole/Malouda/Wright-Phillips to start with Drogs or Anelka. Why put Mikel back in the place of an impressive Maka. Why immediately put Lamps in front of Ballack again, I could go on .

My fear is not the loss of the trophy of least importance. My fear is that Grant actually hasn't got a clue, that the players alone have gotten us to the position we find ourselves in, and that now, when they look for guidance from him, he is incapable of giving it. My fear is the real possibility of us ending up empty-handed this season. Where is the sexy football he promised, where is the free flowing style, where are the goals. At the very least Jose could change the shape of a game with inspired substitutions, and tactical changes that were bordering on genius at times. This guy Grant, is ok when things are going right for us, but looks totally inept when they aren't.

Coleman

Without going through the same old stuff thats been discussed here over and over can I just ask you a question?

If as you say Grant is in charge of "a group of winners, who under even average leadership, should be able to challenge on all fronts" then why if Jose was as you yourself said "the special one" and so much better than Grant, did we only win two trophies per season,

with those same players who even Qaz let alone Grant could keep in the top four of the prem you would imagine Jose would have had the Quad on at least one occasion.

Coleman

Without going through the same old stuff thats been discussed here over and over can I just ask you a question?

If as you say Grant is in charge of "a group of winners, who under even average leadership, should be able to challenge on all fronts" then why if Jose was as you yourself said "the special one" and so much better than Grant, did we only win two trophies per season,

with those same players who even Qaz let alone Grant could keep in the top four of the prem you would imagine Jose would have had the Quad on at least one occasion.

All down to a battle of egos mate, and in reality, the quad is nothing but a pipe dream.

If as you say Grant is in charge of "a group of winners, who under even average leadership, should be able to challenge on all fronts" then why if Jose was as you yourself said "the special one" and so much better than Grant, did we only win two trophies per season,with those same players who even Qaz let alone Grant could keep in the top four of the prem you would imagine Jose would have had the Quad on at least one occasion.

Chippy - pardon the interruption, but let me throw in my quick thoughts --

ONLY two trophies per season??? good god, give me that every year and i'd be happier than a pig in sh*t.

If as you say Grant is in charge of "a group of winners, who under even average leadership, should be able to challenge on all fronts" then why if Jose was as you yourself said "the special one" and so much better than Grant, did we only win two trophies per season,with those same players who even Qaz let alone Grant could keep in the top four of the prem you would imagine Jose would have had the Quad on at least one occasion.

ONLY two trophies per season??? good god, give me that every year and i'd be happier than a pig in sh*t.

I was joking with the remarks about average leadership etc, do you have to highlight everything , before people catch on? 300.gif

Mannyjello

You have managed to take my quote in the wrong context and make it sound as if I think two trophy's is a small haul icon_lol.gif

You should be able to see that again it was a quote intended to be used to measure as to how much Jose actually done if the players are able to challenge on all fronts with an average manager.

Archived