So Far All Is Great, But.................

Nibs

I’ve already expressed elsewhere my mixed feelings re the imminent signing of Robinho. It’s easy to forget just how far we have come in little over a decade. Pre Gullit, the signing of a big name player and a Brazilian at that, would have produced huge excitement, but now it’s kinda like “oh great, another star player to go with all the ones we already haveâ€.

Perhaps it’s because I haven’t seen huge amounts of Robinho playing that I feel this way. If it was Messi or Kaka I would be doing cartwheels around the living room, but what has Robinho actually produced in the last few seasons?

My main gripe I guess is the worry of this continuing trend we have at just throwing vast sums of money at so called great players just because we can and not having to worry about the consequences if or when it all goes pear shaped. £30+m on Sheva, £21m on SWP, £13m on Malouda etc etc. The whole Sheva saga is just plain embarrassing and goes down as the worst piece of transfer business in history. In a way, I’m glad we are in the position where such a huge loss hasn’t affected us, yet on the other hand feel it’s just not right. It isn’t right that we can spend many millions on whatever players with little or no return when they fail and we get rid of them and then just move on to the next deal. I know this is what annoys fans of other clubs and I can’t help but sympathise. It’s never been a level playing field but it’s now a lot worse than ever. This season there was hope that Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal (and maybe ever Pompey) could put in a serious challenge to win the league, but it’s just not going to happen, even though they have all spent some dough. And that’s because they all have to balance things up whereas we and to a lesser extent Man Utd don’t. I know if Man Utd sign Berbatov to booster their already strong squad, we have to compete, but I just don’t agree with the way we are going about it. I hope if we do sign Robinho, then we at least off load SWP and Malouda and get something in the way of half reasonable fees for both. Otherwise, if Big Phil does happen to win some trophies in his first season he will get the same kind of non praise that Mourinho got – “My bloody nan could have won the Premiership with that squad and transfer kitty†etc etc.

I know many of us long for the day when we have a Chelsea starting line up with a decent number of players coming through from the youth set up. Maybe that will happen at some point but it won’t happen all the time we can just go and fork out unlimited amounts on already established players.

if Big Phil does happen to win some trophies in his first season he will get the same kind of non praise that Mourinho got – “My bloody nan could have won the Premiership with that squad and transfer kitty†etc etc.

I for one will not be bothered one bit if that happens again :D

I would'nt care either what people say if we are champions. Fergie won the league and then spent another £75m on his squad.

As for Robinho i am very excited, we lack players who can run at people and leave them for dead. He is 24 and is just coming into his prime like Ronaldhino when he signed for Barca from PSG.

The mighty Real Madrid dont want to sell him, he is no cast off, they aint cashing in on an ageing player.

It could be seen as another shift in power towards us becoming a major force in Europe. We are starting to get some pulling power, Madrid have offered to match the wages we are offering so its not all about money.

Its a world class player saying i'd prefer to play for Chelsea and not Real Madrid, who'd have thought that ???

Perhaps it’s because I haven’t seen huge amounts of Robinho playing that I feel this way. If it was Messi or Kaka I would be doing cartwheels around the living room, but what has Robinho actually produced in the last few seasons?

My main gripe I guess is the worry of this continuing trend we have at just throwing vast sums of money at so called great players just because we can and not having to worry about the consequences if or when it all goes pear shaped. £30+m on Sheva, £21m on SWP, £13m on Malouda etc etc. The whole Sheva saga is just plain embarrassing and goes down as the worst piece of transfer business in history. In a way, I’m glad we are in the position where such a huge loss hasn’t affected us, yet on the other hand feel it’s just not right. It isn’t right that we can spend many millions on whatever players with little or no return when they fail and we get rid of them and then just move on to the next deal.

I feel the same as you do about Robinho, for some reason (I guess because like you I have not really seen that much of him) I can't summon up really any excitement over this supposed deal and yet I feel I obviously should.

I'm somewhat torn like you appear to be about our spending policy, which appears to be spend, spend, spend some more, wipe the embarrassments under the carpet, take the hit (along with a further increase in the loan from Roman to the club) and then spend some more. The normal rule of economics for this club in terms of spending and learning from our mistakes don't really seem to apply.

I realise other clubs spend too, some spend more than they can afford and get into trouble or in some way have to balance the books but bottom line is we don't really have to as long as Roman keeps feeding the gravy train. The usual rule of economics don't apply to us - for the moment. It's probably because I'm a stickler for balancing my cheque book that I can understand opposing fans distaste towards us at times, hypocritcal though that antipathy at times is in many cases as often their clubs are doing similar things (but on a much smaller scale).

At the same time, I'm a bit of a hypocrite myself really, in that if a Messi or Kaka came to town and we paid out £80 million - I'd be thanking Roman whilst not bothering to wonder how that purchase makes our fiscal situation look in the accounts next year. I don't want us to get like Wenger who seems to treat buying players as if it's his own money he's using so he refuses to spend but equally I find our attitude to buying and selling players at times a worry - especially in recent times with everyone else having to watch their finances.

That's why I can't help chortling when I hear the likes of Kenyon or Buck talking about "breaking even" by 2010 or similar such guff - this is all such a load of horse sh*t! If my firm ran their spending policy like Chelsea have over the last 5 years or so and the bosses stood up and told the staff such utter portentious crap they would be laughed out the office - clearly there is no financial constraints in operation where some bean counter is actually trying to get this club to break even - the only constraint is how much Roman is prepared to fork out on a seasonal basis.

Then again, who said football is often operating in the real everyday world as the rest of us?

Our youth team came second in the youth cup our best result since dinosaurs roamed the earth. If there is one thing Roman is doing it is promoting and improving the youth set up. They showed some of it last week on SSN, and spoke to Sir Trevor Brooking about it. Frankly the whole set-up looks awesome.

So chances are that lads WILL come through.

Archived