Which laptop do I get?

Before anyone says anything, I did start a thread about alptops a few months back, but funds were a bit tight then. And I cant find the thread I made anyway.

I have narrowed my search for a laptop to 2 laptops I like.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/186603

or

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/189888

Similar specs, similar price. Which do I go for? Unless someone can suggest something better?

That's a tough choice, I'd say the Compaq. The only let down on that is that it looks not to run the 64bit windows. I prefer Intel to AMD but the pros outweigh the cons on caparison.

I don't know much about hardware, graphics cards and all that, but I would just about opt for the Compaq.

having had a few laptops die on me in the last 5 years (fortunately the most recent one was insured) I'd ask if you REALLY need a laptop.

I realised I rarely do any meaningful computer work (i.e. plan elaborate criticism threads) anywhere other than at home. so this time, I decided instead of replacing my laptop with the same model, for the same price (£570) I could get a wireless keyboard and mouse, a dell inspiron 400 (portable desktop that is a little bigger than an external hard drive actually faster than my old laptop in any case) and an hd tv that doubles up as a monitor (the desktop doesn't come with a monitor).

it certainly seems much better value- essentially I have got a nice shiny telly and a slight improvement on my computer for nothing.

p.s. my previous laptop was a packard bell easynote- it was nice enough, but the left click right click and touchpad were terrible.

That's a tough choice, I'd say the Compaq. The only let down on that is that it looks not to run the 64bit windows. I prefer Intel to AMD but the pros outweigh the cons on caparison.

I don't know much about hardware, graphics cards and all that, but I would just about opt for the Compaq.

What is the 64bit windows mate? Is it important?

• 2 weeks later...

What do you need the laptop for ? Unless your going to be gaming or running video editing software I wouldnt bother spending large amounts on a laptop.

If you intend using it for web browsing then go for a netbook like the NC10/

It can run larger programs like photoshop CS5 no problem at all, Iv'e built a number of websites with my netbook without any problem.

Theyre smaller, lighter and easier to carry around.

The bateries usually last 2-3 times as long as a power greedy laptop.

And they can be bought for a little over £200, had mine running 24/7 for near on 2 years, without any problems.

Archived