Europa League.

Connoor

Would it be so bad?

• It could potentially guarantee us CL if we fail to stay within the top 4 and thus still be able to make big signings.
  • We have the chance of decent silverware
  • Could lift the teams spirit.
  • (Slightly) Satisfy our ever so large need for the European success.

Edited by Connoor

EL: According to UEFA the fixed payments for the 2010/2011 UEFA Europa League season were as follows:[18]

• 1st qualifying round: €90,000
  • 2nd qualifying round: €90,000
  • 3rd qualifying round: €90,000
  • Playoffs: €90,000
  • Group stage: €640,000
  • For each match in group stage: €60,000
  • Group match victory: €140,000
  • Group match draw: €70,000
  • Round of 32: €200,000
  • Round of 16: €300,000
  • Quarter-finals: €400,000
  • Semi-finals: €700,000
  • Losing Finalist: €2,000,000
  • Winning the Final: €3,000,000

CL:

Winner: 9 million Euros

Runner up: 5.6 million

Semi finalists: 4.2 million

Quarter finalists: 3.3 million

Reaching the first knock out round: 3 million

My idea doesn't seem financially viable. But I say f**k 'em I want more Euro football.

I wouldn't mind the UEL. It's an interesting tournament with many clubs you usually don't see in the Champions League, but still some very entertaining football. Entertainmentwise, I actually prefer the Europa League to the Champions League.

Let's face it, it's impossible for Chelsea to gain anything in the Champions League, so ending the international season at Romania's new national stadium would be a dream come true at this point.

It would f**k our season up traveling to eastern europe on a thursday night etc.

In what way would it "f**k our season" any more than the Champions League? The round of 32 would mean two matches in February, the round of 16 two matches in March and then it would be quarter final time already.

In other words, it would be only two more fixtures than if we'd qualify for the round of 16 in the Champions League. It would also be a great opportunity for the younger lads, and I believe you're able to re-register players for the Europa League after the Champions League campaign has ended.

I see absolutely nothing negative about it.

Why do you think teams like spurs have decided to hardly particitate in the Europa League. It means travelling further distances, colder trips and playing on a thurday evening and then a Sunday. Were in a battle in for champions league so this distractions isnt positive.

I can't believe how many people are sticking their noses up at the Europa League (not referring to this thread)

It seems a few have forgotten how good the Cup Winners Cup used to be, and how important it was winning it.

It's only in the last ten years or so people have been bashing it, the Scousers have always taken it seriously, also didn't

Spurs win it once? Ipswich are still hugely proud of it.

Let's not get two big for our boots.

2 Cup Winners Cups

1 Super Cup

I'd love to add a Europa League to that, plus the prospect of going to Monaco for the Super Cup would be ace, especially

if we ended up beating someone like Barca, or Madrid (again).

I know it does not bring a lot of money lads, but it could be a great laugh, and I'd love to see Terry and Lamps finish their career with some

form of European trophy.

Edited by Six Times

Why do you think teams like spurs have decided to hardly particitate in the Europa League. It means travelling further distances, colder trips and playing on a thurday evening and then a Sunday. Were in a battle in for champions league so this distractions isnt positive.

Naah, I don't believe it would be a major distraction. More of a morale boost, if anything. In February it wouldn't really make any difference, since there's no league match after the first leg and Bolton at home after the second. March could be a little trickier, but we have quite a deep squad to work with.

As said, it would be the optimal tournament for the younger lads. Success in this competition would without a doubt be a morale boost for the entire club. I'm not sure concentrating everything on the league would even be such a good thing considering Champions League qualification. It might be good to have something concrete (=a trophy) to fight for, in addition to the FA Cup of course. That's what keeps it interesting.

Edited by Eagle Owl

The Europa league carries no prestige at all. The paticipants regularly turn out scratch teams just to fulfill their commitment to the competition. As pointed out by others a match on Thurs night in the far flung eastern european places means we wouldnt arrive back till Saturday morrning leaving precious little time for preparation for a Sunday match.

The UEFA cup it is compared to was far harder to win as the 2nd,3rd and 4th placed teams in the major leagues ...ones that are now in the Champions League could be found in it. As for the Cup Winners Cup ( I enjoyed both of our wins) but it was the poor relation in European terms even though some major clubs have won it. From my own recollections the BBC didnt even bother about our first match with Real Madrid but decided to show the replay live.

I don't think its being too big for our boots not wanting be involved that competition now, its just our aspirations have now improved significantly.

I have to agree with Six Times. The clubs are what make a competition prestigious, and I certainly think the past finals have been extremely enjoyable. E.g. when Fulham played in it, it was truly a big event.

It would be huge for Lamps, Terry & C.o. to win a big European title for Chelsea, so I wouldn't underestimate its worth as much as some people tend to do around here.