Playing Celtic in the summer

curtis---

I noticed that we are playing Celtic this summer again in USA and I wondered what the deal was with Chelsea and Celtic fans and the Rangers relationship. I'm a fan from N.Ireland but I'm a nationalist so obviously consider myself Irish, here people either support Rangers or Celtic depending on their political views and I hate it as don't think politics has any room in sport. I was shocked at Chelsea fans comments under youtube videos of Chelsea and Celtic playing, what does politics in Ireland have to do with a minority of fans who are most likely English? I'm 20 years old so I grew up watching players like Zola, Hasselbaink and Wise and never even realised the Rangers link until I got older. I've been to Stamford Bridge 4 times and have seen alot of irish Chelsea flags hung up on the west stand so Chelsea have alot of Irish fans. Can anyone tell me what the link with Rangers is about?

I noticed that we are playing Celtic this summer again in USA and I wondered what the deal was with Chelsea and Celtic fans and the Rangers relationship. I'm a fan from N.Ireland but I'm a nationalist so obviously consider myself Irish, here people either support Rangers or Celtic depending on their political views and I hate it as don't think politics has any room in sport. I was shocked at Chelsea fans comments under youtube videos of Chelsea and Celtic playing, what does politics in Ireland have to do with a minority of fans who are most likely English? I'm 20 years old so I grew up watching players like Zola, Hasselbaink and Wise and never even realised the Rangers link until I got older. I've been to Stamford Bridge 4 times and have seen alot of irish Chelsea flags hung up on the west stand so Chelsea have alot of Irish fans. Can anyone tell me what the link with Rangers is about?

I'm sure someone explained it in good detail to someone a while back in another thread, I can't seem to find it, maybe someone else will have more luck. I think it might have been Dorset that wrote it. I could be making that up though.

It was mentioned a while back but something to do with Chelsea, Rangers and Linfield all being linked because traditionally the fans were loyalists or something like that.

If you to games in the North East there will often be a fair share of Rangers fans at the games.