Ultimatum to FA from Commons.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21238173

The government proposes greater representation for supporters, a policy on ticket prices, effective financial regulation... it all sounds perfectly reasonable on the face of it.

So why do I feel so uneasy?

Perhaps it's the MP's diversion from the the topic in hand to talk of the game needing to be "driven from grass roots" and Efford's comment about "the worrying trend... that the game is becoming remote from the communities from which the clubs originated†which leaves me shaking my head in wonderment.

To a great extent the drive is already there at grass root level, on the parks on wet and windy Sunday afternoons, there with the schoolchildren through to the Sunday league teams. And, by and large, the FA deals with these reasonably well. It's not these things which concern me and neither, imho, should they be of great concern to the Commons, at least not when the real issue is the need for reforms to the FA.

I must admit that I did grin and roll my eyes when I was reading Efford's remark about "the game becoming remote from the communities from which the clubs originated". If the game is remote from the community from which Chelsea originated it will be because a large number of the residents in the immediate vicinity are more likely to be sending their offspring to rugby-favouring public and independent schools than anything the club has done!  Remind me... wasn't it a governmental decision to sell off social housing, including many of the council flats in Chelsea, and turn them into extremely expensive, privately owned "apartments"?

There's no argument that the FA does need to change. Rather than muddying the water with talk of grass roots and communities maybe the Commons should start with the glaring issue of conflict of interests amongst FA board members. I'd particularly like to see a ban on any individual taking a seat upon the FA board if they currently represent a professional football club or have represented a professional football club in the ten years prior to their appointment.

I get the distinct feeling that it will take legislation before we see that reform carried out. 

Financial rules simply mean big clubs stay big, small clubs stay small.

As for the grass roots stuff... FFP means the local clubs that are part of the community will stay small and stand next to no chance to hit the big time. It'll also make it harder for former big clubs to climb back up if they can't invest.

As for the FA, it needs more impartiality, more openness, more communication with supporters and fewer decisions behind closed doors.

I share that unease, No Seating, because this is an issue that many feel, incorrectly in my opinion, should not be allowed anywhere near politicians. My view is that, if the FA want to run the whole shooting match like a Gentlemen’s Club, only political intervention is likely to stop it in its doddery tracks. Sadly, chances of reform happening are slim to none, as evidenced on Radio 4’s Today program [yet again] this morning. Not the sport section this time, but in the general news round where presenter James Naughtie spoke about the matter to John Whittingdale, Conservative MP and Chairmen of the committee in question, who was also joined on the phone by Peter Coates, Chairman of Stoke City. Somewhat surprisingly, a balanced discussion threatened to break out, after an introduction in which Whittingdale appeared to set his stall out perfectly. However, as per usual with the BEC these days, nice though Naughtie’s first question was, it flattered to deceive…

Naughtie: ‘Where do you think they [the FA] are letting their game down?’

Whittingdale: ‘Well, the FA should be the ultimate authority to run English football and we made recommendations last year for reforming the governing structure, for removing the power of the vested interests… to have a slimmer board, also to have a majority of independents. That recommendation has not been followed and in some ways football has almost moved backwards, more power has been devolved down into the professional game and we feel that that is a retrograde step… and so we want to see the FA move in the direction we have recommended.'

A decent enough start to what promised to be a good debate and I think we’ll all agree that he laid a good foundation in that summary. However, Naughtie then decided to kick the whole topic into the long grass with typical BBC agenda-driven rationale, applying this hobnail boot in what can only be described as true ‘am I bovver’d-boy?’ fashion…

‘How do you think you could create an FA who could take on Mr Abramovich?’

It was almost as if he had not heard a word of Whittingdale‘s introductory piece, or had deliberately chosen not to, in order to steer the Today flagship down its regular route of Russian oligarch-bashing. A complete disgrace, if you ask me and the vast majority of listeners who wanted cogent explanation of the reasons behind the setting-up of a parliamentary committee in the first place, followed by an appraisal of its findings and certainly not this derailment into puerile nonsense. Still, Whittingdale did his best to salvage the situation with…

‘Well, Mr Abramovich has put a lot of money into English football, but we do recommend that there should be stricter controls on the finances of the game, in particular that more should be done to ensure that the clubs are sustainable and also there ought to be greater transparency about ownership. At least we know of Mr Abramovich’s ownership of Chelsea, but there are other clubs where the ownership is very murky and not transparent’

…but, sadly, the damage was done and Naughtie was able to swerve all too easily onto his preferred course. Peter Coates was brought into the debate to respond and eventually got around to supporting the FA with the faintest of praise, along the lines of ‘it’s an organisation that is complicated, has wide constituents and it takes time [to change it]’. But by then Naughtie had cultivated his mushroom method of feeding in s**t questions and keeping us in the dark - deliberately asking [and this time paying attention to] the wrong interviewee to assess where the game had ‘gone wrong’, Coates duly confirming the ‘massive success’ of the Premier League, contributing ‘massively to the British economy’ before going on to point out that ‘we should get things in perspective’, that the FA was listening and it just ‘needed time get there’.

Suitably sidelined, the discussion then drifted off into the sunset, given a grass-root-growing burnish to end proceedings, the real problems such as FA committee member self-interest, rule-making on the hoof and shameful inconsistency based on barmy ‘balance of probability b******s’ was left for another time, another day, no doubt miles away from this particular ‘Today‘.

The government should step in and crack down on a governing body that has the ordacity to talk about fair play in anyway shape or form if you ask me, let alone financial. Football especially in Europe has long been run by a cartel of leading clubs who will do anything to stop the break up of there monopoly, cheating and bribery are rife from top to bottom.

Our preachy FA are no different in my eyes when you have a governing body/disciplinary committee that clearly has other agenda's and is set up for financial gain rather than regulation. 

Look at the whole Hazard thing for a start and the precedent set at Oxford where the FA did nothing. Pointless throwing the book at them or their player they don't have a pot to piss in, any fine would be so small it wouldn't cover the cost of the so called investigation, to hell with the rules. Where as CFC and Hazard are an easy target for a quick £250,000 fine each, lets check the rule book. License to print money these committee's considering they are both judge, jury and they also make up the rules(mainly as they go along). 

Let's not forget the whole JT saga either, its so bent its criminal.

As a fan and especially one from Chelsea my concerns about the money in football aren't aimed at billionaire investors. I'm all for what has happened at clubs such as ours,Man C,and before hand Blackburn and Newcastle. It breaks up the monopoly of clubs such as Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal. Funnily enough 3 clubs all for FFP, clubs that always seem to be treated differently by our beloved FA due to historically being so well represented there and the old pals act that still exists. Coincidence possibly, corrupt more likely.

If they want to do anything they should take a long hard look at themselves, they need to get their own house in order. Then financially they should stop fans hard earned money walking out the game through dodgy agents and dopey very average millionaire players buying solid gold toilets or whatever else it is they need to be paid 100k per week for.  However a wage cap needs to be world wide not just here, we don't want to handicap ourselves.

With the money currently in our game we should have the best grass roots set up in the entire world. The Spanish are producing world class players but i'm more impressed with the German model. The clubs are debt free, the fans feel part of their clubs and don't pay through the nose to watch them. They have bigger stadiums,cheaper tickets even terracing. The money stays in the clubs and they produce world class homegrown stars who are educated and professional.

As it stands our FA like the dodgy agents and overpaid players appear to be in it for themselves and their own financial gain rather than the interests of fans,fair play or football and until this changes we will continue to get screwed.

The government should step in and crack down on a governing body that has the ordacity to talk about fair play in anyway shape or form if you ask me, let alone financial. Football especially in Europe has long been run by a cartel of leading clubs who will do anything to stop the break up of there monopoly, cheating and bribery are rife from top to bottom.

Our preachy FA are no different in my eyes when you have a governing body/disciplinary committee that clearly has other agenda's and is set up for financial gain rather than regulation. 

Look at the whole Hazard thing for a start and the precedent set at Oxford where the FA did nothing. Pointless throwing the book at them or their player they don't have a pot to piss in, any fine would be so small it wouldn't cover the cost of the so called investigation, to hell with the rules. Where as CFC and Hazard are an easy target for a quick £250,000 fine each, lets check the rule book. License to print money these committee's considering they are both judge, jury and they also make up the rules(mainly as they go along). 

As a fan and especially one from Chelsea my concerns about the money in football aren't aimed at billionaire investors. I'm all for what has happened at clubs such as ours,Man C,and before hand Blackburn and Newcastle. It breaks up the monopoly of clubs such as Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal. Funnily enough 3 clubs all for FFP, clubs that always seem to be treated differently by our beloved FA due to historically being so well represented there and the old pals act that still exists. Coincidence possibly, corrupt more likely.

If they want to do anything they should take a long hard look at themselves, they need to get their own house in order. Then financially they should stop fans hard earned money walking out the game through dodgy agents and dopey very average millionaire players buying solid gold toilets or whatever else it is they need to be paid 100k per week for.  However a wage cap needs to be world wide not just here, we don't want to handicap ourselves.

With the money currently in our game we should have the best grass roots set up in the entire world. The Spanish are producing world class players but i'm more impressed with the German model. The clubs are debt free, the fans feel part of their clubs and don't pay through the nose to watch them. They have bigger stadiums,cheaper tickets even terracing. The money stays in the clubs and they produce world class homegrown stars who are educated and professional.

As it stands our FA like the dodgy agents and overpaid players appear to be in it for themselves and their own financial gain rather than the interests of fans,fair play or football and until this changes we will continue to get screwed.

our FA is run by people who do not want to disturb the status quo of their position of preceived standing and monetary gains. maybe there are some who want change but they are in a minority and will have hardly the influence to do what germany or spain are doing. until that minority becomes a majority then expect the same old **** with the same old diversion tactics!

Sounds like the Houses of Parliment.

The government have f*cked up the entire country, I'm sure they'd royally fu*k up footbal - or try and TAX it somehow, and it'd be the fams paying.

I cannot stand the FA, they they are in relative terms the same as the government.....but doing it to football.

Power corrupts!

I honestly don't know what for the best, but if the FA had to answer to the government a bit more often they might act in a more fair and transparent way, other than operate as the 'closed shop' ithat they are

Archived