Collina Masterclass on SS1

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Excellent programme, with Collina analysing high-profile refereeing decisions. He comes across as a very intelligent, likeable guy who speaks excellent English.

They used some unheard audio of the link between refs and the ref's assistants whose job is to stand behind the goal ignoring blatant fouls. Clattenburg was heard to advise Webb correctly that what looked like a pen was in fact a foul by the attacker, thereby proving that they do occasionally get things right.

Another incident highlighted where the extra official made the right call was the 1st leg CL game at the Bridge when, in the last minute, Ramires was through on goal but Evra did a thigh-high scissor tackle from behind, bringing him down. 'Penalty, penalty, penalty' was the official's call to the ref according to Collina (no audio was played), who promptly ignored him, in a scandalous decision of Ovrebo proportions, which cost us big time. Collina made the excuse that it was in the early days of the extra officials and the ref wasn't used to having to follow their advice.

They also analysed the JT winner in the 4-2 win over Barca in 2005, when Carvalho gave Valdes a little tug which prevented him making the save. The ref that night was Collina, who just explained that his eyes were focussed on JT as he was known to be the main threat and he could not have seen the foul.

They also looked at the Oxlade-Chamberlain handball mix-up, so there was plenty of Chelsea action on view.

Definitely worth watching the show. I'm sure it'll be repeated.

Edited by Backbiter

Funny, I saw bits of it and thought it was pretty sh*t.  I saw the bit about the extra officials and didn't see any of them ask Collina what they actually do, or show the dozens and dozens of clips where they seemed to ignore what was going on right in front of them.  That said from what I saw most of what Collina said was right and I'm glad he's the top man for European refs.

Funny, I saw bits of it and thought it was pretty sh*t.  I saw the bit about the extra officials and didn't see any of them ask Collina what they actually do, or show the dozens and dozens of clips where they seemed to ignore what was going on right in front of them.  That said from what I saw most of what Collina said was right and I'm glad he's the top man for European refs.

They didn't show dozens of them but they showed a few to make the point that they come across to the viewer as blind, incompetent and possibly corrupt. Souness, Carjacker and the presenter certainly took Collina to task over their apparent uselessness. The interesting one was the one I mentioned above when the ref was told it was a clear penalty for the foul on Ramires but was totally ignored. I know refs have a right to overule an assistant, but in that case the extra official had the perfect view whereas the ref was some way behind the play.

Probably the best ref over the past 20 years

I think my Everton friend would strongly disagree with this!

He always bangs on about how they were robbed against Villarreal in 2005.