Show Racism The Red Card: Fortnight Of Action

Lofty.
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

From the official site:

Fortnight Of Action 2014
86f2c888c7479e608a9f5ebe11222d08_XL.jpg

Welcome to Show Racism the Red Card’s annual Fortnight of Action.

The 2014 Fortnight of Action will unite Scottish football in making a stand against racism. We believe that it is vital to highlight the anti-racism message at this time, in conjunction with Football Against Racism in Europe (FARE).

All professional clubs will make a stand against racism over one weekend whether at home or away. We have coordinated the participation of the clubs’ actions to make it the biggest and most high profile fortnight so far.

At every SPFL game on Friday 17th and Saturday 18th October, clubs will be united in calling for an end to racism in football and in society. Players in over 40 European countries are involved in similar events as part of the Football Against Racism in Europe (FARE) network against racism and discrimination.

Show Racism the Red Card has received excellent support from football clubs, football authorities and football fans over the length and breadth of Scotland - we would like to take this opportunity to thank you all. We have heard of many instances where supporters have been proactive in promoting the anti-racism message, making it clear that racism and discrimination are not welcome at their club. We urge fans to continue to support the anti-racism message; it is the responsibility of us all to ensure that it is carried beyond the Fortnight of Action and beyond the terraces.

Neil Doncaster, Chief Executive of the SPFL, said: “Football is a powerful medium to break down barriers and promote tolerance. Our clubs have supported Show Racism the Red Card since season 2003/04 and once again, this united action in support of the campaign sends out the positive message that football is a game to be enjoyed by all."

Mark Hateley, Rangers' Fortnight of Action Ambassador, said: "Rangers Football Club strives to promote social inclusion and encourage tolerance and understanding of the interests of all sectors of the community. The Club is delighted to once again show our support for Show Racism the Red Card’s Annual Fortnight of Action.â€

The campaign will continue to speak to all football clubs, the football authorities and the police to eradicate all forms of racist behaviour.

The SPFL and its clubs deplore all forms of racism and any racist behaviour will not be tolerated at SPFL.

This year the campaign has continued to develop partnerships with local authorities to deliver educational workshops combined with football coaching sessions in a number of regions. The workshops are delivered by a dedicated team of education workers and ex-professional footballers. They are a very positive method of educating our young people about the negative impact racism has on Scottish society.

Here’s a brief outline of what’s taking place during the Fortnight of Action this year:

• Anti-racism football festivals and projects across Scotland. 
  • Show Racism the Red Card actions at SPFL, Scottish Women’s Premier League, Scottish Women’s Football League, Scottish Junior Football matches.
  • ‘Unite Against Racism’ actions at UEFA Champions League fixtures.
  • Educational workshops in schools and community groups across Scotland.

Football is a sport that is followed by people across the world, and football matches should be an enjoyable experience for all, whatever their background. We all have a part to play in stamping out racism in football and society.

If you see or hear racism or sectarianism at any level of football, please report it to the stewards or police.

Our website also includes updates on Fortnight of Action events and more information on the Show Racism the Red Card campaign in Scotland.
www.theredcardscotland.org

Show your support for tackling racism:

Follow us on twitter: @SRtRCScotland
Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/theRedCardScotlan

That depends on whether you believe the preponderance of white faces is down to racism or demographics. If racism is a factor, then the campaign is even more necessary, if it's down to demographics, then it is what it is.

I know I shouldn't ask, but here goes anyway. Exactly what sh*t is that?

I'll try to answer that from my perspective.

Rascism is a massive no in today's society.  It shouldn't happen, plain and simple.  It does and that's piss poor, but what needs to be done is to deal with it when cases arise, not to make a carnival out of it where everyone can stand together and say "we're against racism" for one week then carry on as normal.  I think the UK have done a really good job of dealing with racism over the years and as a result there is little of it in the game now.  It's now time for other leading bodies to do the same.  These carnivals in my opinion never acheive anything accept to force issues where often there isn't one.

racism in english football, the political elite looking for what they perceive as soft targets. That sh*t.

That's all very well, but we're talking about Scottish football here. This sh*t:

March 2014

Football racism storm: Teenage star breaks silence on horrific abuse which saw him leave pitch in tears and shocked fans across Scotland

September 2014

Celtic winger Aleksandar Tonev charged with racist abuse

To give but two recent examples. The situation has improved since 2009 when this kind of thing was relatively commonplace:

Rangers player reveals racial abuse from club's own 'fans'

Events such as this, the Fortnight Of Action, are not the be all and end all, they don't even pretend to provide solution. What they do achieve is to raise awareness of a problem that some deny even exists.

Edited by Big Figure

And then there's this:

Is Scottish football becoming more racist?

In response to commentators asking this question, SRtRC Scotland explores the issue

Last March, a Scottish Football League 2 fixture made headlines for all the wrong reasons.  A 17-year old East Stirlingshire player called Jordan Tapping had to be substituted after being subjected to racial taunts from the opposing Peterhead fan base. The club and Police Scotland acted quickly and the fan was prosecuted and banned from attending football matches for the next year.

Jordan received hundreds of messages from football fans around the country and Peterhead FC staged a “Show Racism the Red Card†action at their next home game.  There was a sense that this, horrible though it had been for Jordan, was an isolated incident.

However, five weeks into this new season, two other alleged incidents have emerged; a verbal attack on Aberdeen’s Shay Logan by Celtic winger, Alexsander Tonev during a game at Celtic Park and abusive chanting and gesturing by members of the crowd towards Celtic defender Virgil Van Djik at St Mirren Park.  Some commentators have asked us, ‘is Scottish football becoming more racist?’

Show Racism the Red Card established a Scotland office in 2003. Scottish football clubs and authorities have been hugely supportive of our campaigning and educational activities which have reached hundreds of thousands of football fans and young people. Last year alone, our Fortnight of Red Card Action campaign was seen by over 112,000 fans and we educated against racism and sectarianism to over 14,000 young people.

What is apparent in our conversations across Scotland is that our young people by the age of 12 years old are susceptible to damaging and divisive reporting in the media.  For example discussions about UK immigration often lead to the reply ‘illegal’ when asked about the term “immigrantâ€, or “terrorist†when asked about the term “Muslimâ€. Clearly, external sources of information, myths and stereotypes impact on young people’s world view and make up their minds for them before they have a chance to think critically. Unfortunately, those stereotypes lay the foundations for the kinds of incidents we have seen at various Scottish football stadiums.

However, what is happening in football isn’t happening in isolation from the rest of society. There were 5,002 racially or religiously aggravated crimes being dealt with by the Crown Office Procurator Fiscal Service in 2013-14.  Meaning last year, every week an average of 96 racist or sectarian behaviours were reported to the Procurator Fiscal. We know that these types of hate crime are also drastically under reported. However, with at least 96 lives every week tainted by the scourge of hate crime based on the ethnicity or religion of the victim, there has never been more need for challenging racism and sectarianism whether it occurs on the pitch, on the terraces, on the street or as is becoming more frequent on-line.

We can never become complacent about those incidences of racism in Scotland and we believe a three pronged approach needs to be taken. In the short-term, the perpetrators must be dealt with swiftly and fairly by the relevant authorities. No-one should be allowed to think that behaving in a racist manner will be tolerated and a racist action not acted upon. In the medium-term their needs to be re-education to those committing racist acts or at risk of committing them.

At Show Racism the Red Card we firmly believe in the words of Nelson Mandela that "No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin or his background or his religion.†We are fully behind initiatives that condemn the racist act but do not ‘brand’ the person committing them. Instead, the perpetrator should spend time considering the damage to his or her victim and wider community of their actions. Finally, in the long-term we must seek to prevent racism occurring in the first place and that is why so much of our educational work happens with young people.

Last year our school, community workshops and events at football clubs encouraged participants to think critically about the myths and stereotypes they might believe. We asked them to consider the damage that racism does, not just to the victim but to the wider community. We stressed the importance of safely challenging racism where they may encounter it and gave them suggestions about how they might do it.

Following our input, over 70% of our participants who admit to using racist language or behaviour in the past, say they would not do it again in the future. Simply, the Show Racism the Red Card approach works.

I'll try to answer that from my perspective.

Rascism is a massive no in today's society.  It shouldn't happen, plain and simple.  It does and that's piss poor, but what needs to be done is to deal with it when cases arise, not to make a carnival out of it where everyone can stand together and say "we're against racism" for one week then carry on as normal.  I think the UK have done a really good job of dealing with racism over the years and as a result there is little of it in the game now.  It's now time for other leading bodies to do the same.  These carnivals in my opinion never acheive anything accept to force issues where often there isn't one.

it's called f.a.r.e for good reason, as that's where it needs to be concentrated, europe! i have not seen people throwing bananas at players in this country for 30 years or monkey noises, or banners like in italy or the balkens like the only y*ds  and pussies banner at belgrade unlike what you see and hear on a regular basis in europe. it is just a politcal elite trying to justify their existence, without really doing much. they fined cska moscow for repeat offending of racism less than they fined a player for wearing advertising on his pants. that shows their real intent.

it's called f.a.r.e for good reason, as that's where it needs to be concentrated, europe! i have not seen people throwing bananas at players in this country for 30 years or monkey noises, or banners like in italy or the balkens like the only y*ds  and pussies banner at belgrade unlike what you see and hear on a regular basis in europe. it is just a politcal elite trying to justify their existence, without really doing much. they fined cska moscow for repeat offending of racism less than they fined a player for wearing advertising on his pants. that shows their real intent.

Nothing you have so far written has got anything to do with Scottish football, which is what this particular campaign, this particular thread, is all about. You've even stated that you're sick of "this sh*t" in English football.

When you talk about "this country", I take it you mean England. The Jordan Topping incident dates back to March of this year during a match between East Stirling and Peterhead. A Celtic player was racially abused in a match against Paisley, so cannot be written off as religious bigotry/sectarianism, which is undeniably a further complication in Scottish football.

It should be apparent that the situation in Scotland is very different from that in England, so to dismiss the problem based on your experiences of English football is less than helfpul.

well i'm not being funny, the  incident mentioned above with shay logan was initiated by a eastern european, as i have said where racism is endemic and not a scotsman. and the incident at peterhead was one person not the whole ground.

Edited by croydonblue

But the Jordan Topping incident wasn't.

Racist yob banned from football matches for a year after targeting East Stirling teenager Jordan Tapping

Net closing on yobs who forced teenage East Stirling player to leave pitch in tears

And so on. Quite simply, all I'm saying is that the situation in Scotland is very different to that in England, so much so that the two can't really be compared. And this thread concerns a campaign concentrating on Scottish Football.

Edit: My point being that despite what the sceptics here might think, this campaign is worthwhile, it does have a purpose.

Edited by Big Figure

am i skeptical, no i just don't believe that scottish or english football is as institutionally racist as these people would have you believe. on the basis of one or two very sad incidents. which is what it has come down to. they tar the the whole bunch with same the brush as one or two morons. and that in itself is sadder than  the uneducated numptys spilling their bile, the people throwing these accusations of racism are educated, the numptys are not.  

You dismiss what "these people" have to say without knowing who "these people" are, or even what "these people" have to say.

The question isn't of Scottish (or English) football being institutionally racist, but of a sizeable racist minority. This may or may not be exacerbated by the sectarianism inherent in Scottish society.. Going from the Rangers incident in 2009, to the present day, it is clear that the situation has improved. Which doesn't mean that there is no longer a problem.

Educated racists are not exactly unknown either.

"these people" as you like to put it are are the educated political class, who see problems in everything, except for their own ivory towers, like institutional racism in politics, i've just taken that manifesto to bits because they are smart but have no common sense. and that's the end of that.

you believe it if you like!  it's your axe you grind it.

and i do know who SRtRC are thank you very much, they are not a terribly bright bunch, the same people who are decrying the fact that there are no  top black managers, there are not even any decent british managers, otherwise the top four clubs in England wouldn't be managed by foreigners.

so there is another argument out the window. 

Edited by croydonblue

"these people" as you like to put it are are the educated political class, who see problems in everything, except for their own ivory towers, like institutional racism in politics, i've just taken that manifesto to bits because they are smart but have no common sense. and that's the end of that.

How do you know that? There is an organisation called Show Racism The Red Card Scotland. You dismiss them as "the educated political class" and go on to accuse them of sitting in their ivory towers. You say you've taken their manifesto to bits but all you're actually doing is showing your own inverse snobbery.

It's not me who's got the axe to grind here. I post a report of a Scottish-based anti-racist campaign which you initially dismiss because according to you, the target is "racism in English football".

Not content with having examples of racism in Scottish football presented to you, you then go on to dismiss the campaign and those behind the campaign.

You know f**kall.

i know f**k all! that is rich have you just read that manifesto you just posted. when faced with the facts deny everything.

What "manifesto"?  "Is Scottish Football Becoming More Racist?  It's an article, and if you bother to read it, you'll discover that the conclusion they come to is that it's not.

Seriously, what the f**k are you on about?

Edited by Big Figure

Are you saying an excess of education results in foolishness?  That those who have been educated (like ME and many others on this site) live in our ivory towers?  At what level of education does this occur, do you think?  Are those with a few GCSE's still fairly well equipped with common sense?  Does the common sense dissolving process start at A level?

I cannot believe the rubbish you are spouting, croydonblue!  At what point in your thought processes did you think you "took that manifesto to bits"?

Some people have brains and common sense, some have brains but no common sense, some have common sense but no brains, and some have neither.

Are you saying an excess of education results in foolishness?  That those who have been educated (like ME and many others on this site) live in our ivory towers?  At what level of education does this occur, do you think?  Are those with a few GCSE's still fairly well equipped with common sense?  Does the common sense dissolving process start at A level?

I cannot believe the rubbish you are spouting, croydonblue!  At what point in your thought processes did you think you "took that manifesto to bits"?

Some people have brains and common sense, some have brains but no common sense, some have common sense but no brains, and some have neither.

Am i saying that an excess of education results in foolishness? yes i am. educated people tend to think they  have the answers to everything, when they don't.! the vision of the anointed it's called. don't worry i expected to be railroaded on this subject moi, so i won't take offence at you sticking up for your pal.

Once upon a time this might just have had the potential to be a decent thread. Racism in football is after all, a serious subject, whether we're talking about Scottish football or otherwise.

That was before the persistent intervention of an ignorant, thick as two short planks numpty who seems to take an inordinate amount of pride in his own ignorance and in his own stupidity.

As it is, it's now a train wreck of a thread, utterly ruined by some f**kwit with a bee in his bonnet, a well balanced chap with a chip on each shoulder about "educated people who think they have the answers to everything"

Apart from the obvious, i.e. ignorance and stupidity, I'm struggling a little to see exactly what is the problem with this f**ker. I mean, I've seen inverted snobs before, time was I wasn't exactly immune to a bit of inverted snobbery myself, but this... person well and truly takes the biscuit,