What's next?

Hanzen

With an appeal hearing in about two weeks time regarding the transfer ban - what's next for us?

Yesterday, AC told in a interview that the club had informed all players that they were to stay, should the club be banned from acquiring new players. But what's the plan then?
- Let's put up the two (perhabs three) scenarios that we're likely to see. 

1. FIFA decides to maintain the ban - and the club are not to sign any players in the upcomning tranfer windows. 
1.1. FIFA accepts the appeal of allowing Chelsea to acquiring players while the case is under investigation, giving the club a chance to sign players in the summer.
2. The decision regarding a transfer ban is dismissed, as CAS and/or FIFA rules in favour of Chelsea and the FA.

Now, the're a lot of questionmarks regarding the matter. When, how and if a decision is made... Let's imagine that the we do recieve the ban - nothing to do. Is the correct move to simply maintain players?

We've got so much talent and potential in our youth - something that we finally are getting a chance to see. However, with 40+ players returning from loan, what would be best?

I would have no problem with the club allowing most of the irellevant players leave. By irellevant, I mean players the realistically aren't going to get in the squad. 
https://www.transfermarkt.com/fc-chelsea/leihspieler/verein/631 

In the link above, 21 of our first team loan players (excluding Pulisic, red.) are listed.

Really, there's only two players that I'd be sad to see leaving; Tammy and Zouma. Why are we keeping players like Nathan, Baba Rahman, Kalas, Omeruo, Hector, Pasalic and Baker?
- I'm finding it extremely difficult to ever see either of those players getting a chance in the first team. Even IF they were to be considered - wouldn't we simply replace them with new, and better players in the near future?

I'd like to see the squad - and club - recieving a major overhaul soon. Give Sarri time to work with squad, perhabs even accept that Hazard is leaving and that we're not winning the league in the next couple of years. I know, it's difficult with our owner - and the latest history of non-performing managers. But oh my, I'd love to see us not buying mediocre players for the sake of it. Zappacosta, Drinkwater, Remy and the list goes on. 

I did like the idea of Morata, Bakayoko and Batshuayi. All of them we're young and wanted be several clubs - unfortunately they simply didn't work out.  The same goes for Pulisic. I'm actually genuinly having doubts regarding him - hope he proves me wrong though. But the point of buying fewer andbetter players alongside our young - and extremely talented - players, is really something I would love.

In my opinion, if the ban remains, the squad should be something like this (Assuming Hazard still leaves - despite the clubs willingness to sell)

GK: Kepa, Bulka
RB: Azpi 
CB: Rudiger, Zouma
CB: Luiz, AC/Ampadu
LB: Alonso, Emerson
CDM: Jorginho, Ampadu
RCM: Kanté 
LCM: RLC, Barkley
RW: Willian, Pulisic
LW: CHO, Pedro
ST: Higuain, Abraham

Now, with players above listed, I'd expect Giroud - unfortunately - to run down his contract and look for more game time. Batshuayi and Drinkwater will probably be far from the team, and as we can't get new players, and the deal for Kovacic ends in June, he's been excluded as well (Not that I think we'd buy him anyway). 

Even if we were to sign players while the case gets investigated - I can't see a lot of changes that should be made. A new striker - but who? 50M Callum Wilson? Nah. Icardi? Most likely not going to happen. 

As far as I can see we need a goalscoring midfielder. Barkling and RLC is what we've got at that position at the moment. Not too bad. But not a lot of goals either. The one player I'd like to see us go for would be Kai Havertz. Young, and intelligent on the field. With him and RLC on the left side of the midfield, along Kanté/Barkley on the other and Jorginho/Ampadu in the center, I'd go as far as saiyng we're set for the next 5 years or so. 

But I guess that's just wishful thinking. We're probably going to sack Sarri by the end of the year, and keep Hazard, which will make CHO unhappy with his amount of playing time, leaving us with both leaving for free in a bit over a year. 

Or... What's next?

I assume you meant MS rather than AC, which I thought was Conte?

I think a major factor would be what clubs come for what players and can we let them go with cover from our existing squad and loan players.  

Now it would be good if they all came in at the end of May though expect this will rumble on to August.

Everything hinges on whether the transfer ban is overturned or delayed, or we are forced to deal with it.  If the ban is delayed or lifted, then who we bring in and who goes will be fascinating.  Will the club believe Sarri should continue beyond this season?  If they believe he is, are they going to bring in players to play his style?  Will they sell players that don't?  Will they be able to promise enough time to get CHO & RLC to stay?  Will they give young players like Ampadu, Christensen, Mount, James, Tomori, Abraham honest chances to establish themselves? 

Will we replace Emenalo and hire a DoF?  

There is a lot of drama left to play out outside of where we will finish in the Table and the Europa League.

On 26/03/2019 at 22:20, Boston Blue said:

Everything hinges on whether the transfer ban is overturned or delayed, or we are forced to deal with it.  If the ban is delayed or lifted, then who we bring in and who goes will be fascinating.  Will the club believe Sarri should continue beyond this season?  If they believe he is, are they going to bring in players to play his style?  Will they sell players that don't?  Will they be able to promise enough time to get CHO & RLC to stay?  Will they give young players like Ampadu, Christensen, Mount, James, Tomori, Abraham honest chances to establish themselves? 

Will we replace Emenalo and hire a DoF?  

There is a lot of drama left to play out outside of where we will finish in the Table and the Europa League.

Spot on. In my opinion we're definately in need of a DoF. With Marina Granovskaia being the main responsible for player transactions, we leave a lot of areas to chance. 

- I'll just mention Pulisic again here. There's no doubt that he's talented, but how is he - footballings wise - worth £60M? He lost his place in the Dortmund team to Sancho - an 18-year-old englishman, that was far from being a part of the bench in Manchester City. As I see it, CHO is capable of at least the same, if not more, than Sancho... and CHO are barely playing for us. I know theres some geographic-marketing-reason which is playing a massive part in the Pulisic transfer as well, but still.

We really need a professional like Arnesen og Emenalo to help pulling some strings when deciding which players to buy.

Agree with a lot of the OP. 

If the ban stays in place for this summer, and if hazard leaves, I think we need to use it as a complete reset. 

There has been a few more links with Luis Campos, which I think would be a great move, even with the ban in place, it would give him time to assess what we have and what we need, and he could be working on deals for the following summer. 

The managerial situation I'm torn on. I like sarri, and would love to see his style come to fruition, and if we manage to qualify for next seasons champions league, then it would be very harsh to sack him. However I question whether he would be willing and able to bring through some of many talented young players we have, which I personally think is vital to us moving forward.

Maybe Steve Holland back, with JT as his number 2, would be a better fit for the situation, although I admit it would be a big gamble. 

I would hope we sell as much of the deadwood on loan as we can like kalas, omeruo, piazon, baba, miazga, bakayoko, morata, etc, which will have to do any way with the new loan restrictions coming. 

Then I would also move on Alonso, drinkwater, and Zappacosta from the first team, along with hazard if that us what he wants. 

That would free up a massive amount of money in terms of transfers and wages, and it would free up some places in the squad, along with kovacic and higuian leaving. 

Squad next season would be:

GK Kepa, Cabellero, Bulka

DR Azpilicueta, James

DC David Luiz, Rudiger, Christiansen, Zouma

DL Emerson, Aina (if we can persuade him to turn down torino)

CM Kante, Jorginho, RLC, Barkley, Mount, Ampadu

WG CHO, Pulisic, Willian, Pedro

CF Batshuayi, Abraham, Giroud.

I think that would give us a good blend of youth, experience, and flexibility.

Hopefully the team is strong enough to stay top 6, and have a decent run in the cups. 

We can then go into summer 2020, with more of an idea of how good some of these kids are, we will have plenty of money for Campos to recruit with from the previous summer, and we can add 3 or 4 top players to make us challengers again. 

I dont any if this will actually happen though. It seems easy on paper, but as we know football is a complicated business, made even more complicated by years of poor planning and poor decisions, which I have very little faith we can rectify in a year or two unfortunately.

As far as WG choices, one of Pedro, Willian, or Sarri has to go if there is any hope of persuading CHO to stay.  As long as Sarri is here and he has Pedro & Willian to pick from, I don't think CHO is going to have any confidence that he is going to be a first choice.  Yes, Hazard probably wont be here, but there's a £60 million player in Pulisic coming in, and you're not going t pay that much for a guy to sit on the bench.

2 hours ago, big blue said:

I dont any if this will actually happen though. It seems easy on paper, but as we know football is a complicated business, made even more complicated by years of poor planning and poor decisions, which I have very little faith we can rectify in a year or two unfortunately.

Exactly - football, and especially tranfers, are complicated. And it will only get more and more complicated in the future I think.
Agree with the fact that we should sell the on most of the unnecessary players. Unfortunately the two-year loan-deals for both Morata and Moses leaves us with no choice but to wait until next summer before selling.

Not too sure about Bats. He could turn out to be brilliant, but he's a bit of at lottery ticket. I'd go for Giroud (given that he decides to extend his contract, red.) and then Tammy/Bats for backup. 
- I actually think our dear Olivier deserves a chance to be the starter. Brilliant in the small-play-areas and a great play-up station. 

Most of all - I hope we can keep CHO. Just read on Sky that he's still pretty unsettled at the Bridge, but that the club has informed him we won't sell him no matter what happens with the ban-situation. Hopefully just rumours, though.

Furthermore, Bayern is seemingly looking closely at Pepé from Lille. Competition there should be the same as in Chelsea. About Bayern though... They just bought Hernandez from Atletico. A left-footed defender, capable of playing in both the center - and left-side. How on earth did we not turn in for him - with Luiz getting older and older? I know that we've got AC - an intelligent young defender, with pace and coolness like few others - but still...

18 minutes ago, Boston Blue said:

As far as WG choices, one of Pedro, Willian, or Sarri has to go if there is any hope of persuading CHO to stay.  As long as Sarri is here and he has Pedro & Willian to pick from, I don't think CHO is going to have any confidence that he is going to be a first choice.  Yes, Hazard probably wont be here, but there's a £60 million player in Pulisic coming in, and you're not going t pay that much for a guy to sit on the bench.

Talk about hitting the hammer on the nail. Personally I'd have no problem with Pedro leaving to free up space for CHO. CHO, Willian and Pulisic seems like great options on the wing - and with RLC also being able to take that position the problem would (pretty much) be solved.

Archived