Chelsea Women vs West Ham *Postponed* (WSL) Sun 11th Sep 2022 12:30 BST - Stamford Bridge, London

Sporting four top quality new signings, plus a fifth strongly reported to be announced any day now, reigning WSL champions Chelsea open up their 2022/23 league campaign against West Ham at The Bridge. As at a few moments ago there were only 2,140 seats remaining for home fans. This suggests that the game will be watched by the fourth largest crowd to witness a CFCW game, and the largest ever outside of Wembley.

If you have never been to a CFCW game before this is a great opportunity but you'll have to be quick. Tickets are going fast.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/tickets/womens-tickets

That is fantastic that so many tickets have been sold. 

I wonder if the women's side made the bridge their home if that could be maintained over the course of their season and, if not, what would the average attendance be?

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, axman2526 said:

That is fantastic that so many tickets have been sold. 

I wonder if the women's side made the bridge their home if that could be maintained over the course of their season and, if not, what would the average attendance be?

Good questions but the first problem would be the limit on the number of games with a 5,000+ attendance we are permitted to stage at The Bridge. Obviously men's team games have to be staged at SB so, with the new rule that we must play any Women's Champions League knock-out games there too, there can't be many slots left for more CFCW fixtures.

Just one of many reasons I would have preferred us to relocate rather than redevelop. The SB site limits us in so many ways. Still with no realistic alternatives available we're stuffed on that front for at least another generation.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

On 18/08/2022 at 06:01, OhForAGreavsie said:

Good questions but the first problem would be the limit on the number of games with a 5,000+ attendance we are permitted to stage at The Bridge. Obviously men's team games have to be staged at SB so, with the new rule that we must play any Women's Champions League knock-out games there too, there can't be many slots left for more CFCW fixtures.

Just one of many reasons I would have preferred us to relocate rather than redevelop. The SB site limits us in so many ways. Still with no realistic alternatives available we're stuffed on that front for at least another generation.

Ah that is a shame the Bridge is holding us back there.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if Emma Hayes would take the men's team job if it was offered to her? In terms of money and fan involvement it is a step up, in terms of quality of players Silva is probably the only one good enough to get in a woman's side.

20 hours ago, axman2526 said:

I wonder if Emma Hayes would take the men's team job if it was offered to her? In terms of money and fan involvement it is a step up, in terms of quality of players Silva is probably the only one good enough to get in a woman's side.

She’d be mad to take it. It’s a step down.