Hollins Fears JT wages effect

Jimboola69

Hollins wary over new Terry deal

Chelsea captain John Terry has signed a new five-year deal with the club.

The 26-year-old had two years to run on his current deal but will now be staying at Stamford Bridge until 2012.

Terry will reportedly be paid ?130,000 a week but former Blues manager John Hollins warned the deal could affect the club's wage structure.

"What worries me is the others in the team, playing the same number of games - would they settle for ?80-90,000 now?" Hollins told BBC Five Live.

"John is a Chelsea man through and through and this brings him up to the same pay level to where (Andriy) Shevchenko is.

"But Petr Czech - would he go on 130,000 a week? Would Ricardo Carvalho, who has been a stalwart at the back when John Terry was out?

"How do you gauge a footballer? Is it because he is an England player?"

Terry has made more than 300 appearances for the club and was named England captain last year. And boss Jose Mourinho has made it a priority to ensure the centre-half pens a new long-term contract.

Terry told the club's website: "I'm really happy this has been concluded. There has been a lot of speculation but these things take time.

"I never had any doubts that I wanted to stay at Chelsea and that the club wanted me to stay."

Terry and England team-mate Frank Lampard have been discussing long-term contracts with the Stamford Bridge club for several months.

We are all trying to build something special here and I want to be a part of that

John Terry

The England duo were said to be delaying because they were unhappy that last season's summer signings Shevchenko and Michael Ballack were on higher wages.

Hollins, 61, who made 455 appearances in two spells with Chelsea and managed the club between 1985-88, added: "Now Terry has signed, it is evident they must also get Frank signed or find out what he is going to do.

"I still think there is doubt there. He wants parity with everybody but the crunch is if he gets ?130,000 will he sign or will he want more?

"It's been a long time trying to get this thing nailed down. Once it is done fine, but the longer it goes on there will be interest from other massive clubs who may say, 'OK we'll pay that.'"

Meanwhile Terry, who last season guided the Londoners to victory in both domestic cup competitions, insisted he never had any intention of leaving.

He added: "I hope that the fans can see that we are all trying to build something special here, both for now and for the future, and I want to be a part of that."

"I have been at Chelsea all my career and have the privilege of being captain. Now it's time to look forward to the new season, which we are all very confident about."

Chief executive Peter Kenyon added: "This is an important day for Chelsea. This was the right deal for us and John. We are committed to try and keep our players together on long-term deals."

Story from BBC SPORT:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1 ... 919753.stm

Hmmm.

I do think they have a point. they need to impose a salary cap at Chelsea, I would have pegged it at ?100,000.

How can anyone survive on just ?100,000 a week. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

It would probs make Cashley so mad that he would almost swerve off the road in anger!!!!

Oh wait...that was when told he would only be offered a 'poultry' ?55k a week!!! 691.gif

(yes i am one of the select few that bought Cashleys book.) 259.gif

The game is only going to get worse, players have become a commodity in shirt sales, sponsorship and other deals. JT is the England skipper, Chelsea skipper and has been escalated into the 'galatico' persona that it entails.BUT If Chelsea hadn't 'made it' at the right time he'd be playing alongside Rio at Manu!! Here lies the problem!

What worries me is not so much about what's happening at our club, we've caught up or even raised the bar, but football, or the fans in general, are going to suffer long-term. Long gone are the days of a club outside the top 6 or 7 lifting a trophy like the FA or even the devalued League cup. They/we have better reserve teams than most of the lower premiership or league teams and even loan their/our youth players to gain experience with them. Premiership survival, and the income it provides has become paramount to all concerned!

With no thanks to Liverpool, and the European ban that some of their fans still think we are responsible for, Chelsea have entered the realm of the top clubs in Europe. As a youngster I'd watch highlights of Gullit at Milan on Saint and Greavsie, my dad would come home from work about 13:00 we'd get our coats on and go and pay to watch Darren Wood, Doug Rougvie, Keith Dublin. At no point did it ever cross my mind he'd (RG) eventually play for us and manage us to the first FA cup victory in my lifetime, and the best day of my life!!

Finances have always been part of the game, but now that football or the English Premiership has become a brand , and has become global, our league will become the same as those across Europe. We could all probably name several clubs from Italy, Spain or Scotland, but I bet the first names down are Milan (AC or Inter) J******s, R**l M****d and B*******a, R*****s and C****c (you know who they are) I don't need to spell it out. icon_wink.gif

As these clubs take TV revenue and their income increases, the players are paid more, it's as simple as that, so they buy the best ones they can afford and so the rich get richer!

I just hope this revenue is reinvested in the game by clubs and the lower teams don't go out of business. In the commercial world we live in football has caught up, but only a minority, 'open all hours' has been replace by Tesco!!! The game has gone the same way and will continue to do so.

George Weah as a player and a man, is someone who should be given huge credit in this area. He has set up schools, not just football schools, in his own country and has even run for president due to his popularity for making Liberia a better place for the people who live there. Beckham on the other hand and perhaps Chelsea in the US have set up football schools for their own financial gain!

The problem with English/European footballers in general is that they have grown in 'our' commercial world and have taken their humble backgrounds, ability, earnings and social standing for granted. Morris, Mutu, Bosnich, are to name a recent few just at only our club.

The problem with some English clubs is that they have also grown in the commercial world with the addition of SKY revenue and have taken their humble backgrounds, earnings, social standing and LOYAL FANS and abused them in the chase for global dominance. It's a crying shame but the game and more importantly it supporters will only suffer from this financial gluttony One exception is the players who, as in JT's case, have hit the jackpot!

I think that there needs to be a salary cap in football throughout Europe, because at least then players will move to clubs for the challenges, and the passion of the game. Not because one club wants to pay them 10 grand extra per week!!!

I think that there needs to be a salary cap in football throughout Europe, because at least then players will move to clubs for the challenges, and the passion of the game. Not because one club wants to pay them 10 grand extra per week!!!

The Bosman ruling has brought football in line with the rest of the world!! Why do we have Polish road signs around Britain nowdays? Is it because Polish carpenters are paid the same as British ones, or would get the same money at home as they do abroad? People move where the money is, and if, in your job, someone wanted to pay you 10k extra per year you'd probably go for it, but if your boss was willing to pay you an extra 20k to keep you, then you'd be ready to expload if someone said your not allowed to earn that because you excede the wage-cap!! You'd get paid in another way, free accomadation, free car, free holidays filghts, massive pension, deal linked to sponsership/shirt sales etc.......there is always a way around it!

JT's new deal has, if anything, CORRECTED the wage structure at Chelsea.

A wage structure only works if you best performing, most consistant, most influential and most loyal player is at the top of the tree.

For the last season, this has clearly not been the case, and thus we have had problems with the wage structure.

With the guarantee written into JT's new contract that he will be the higest paid player at the club, how do you justify this to other players over the coming seasons, if he's injured or he doesn't perform, last seaon was hardly his best, although carrying injury for most of it.

With the guarantee written into JT's new contract that he will be the higest paid player at the club, how do you justify this to other players over the coming seasons, if he's injured or he doesn't perform, last seaon was hardly his best, although carrying injury for most of it.

As far as justification to other players - if they contribute more to Chelsea football club both on the pitch and off it than JT does then yes, they deserve to get paid more than him. But I can't see anyone doing that any time soon.

In a way, that is why the club insisted on a standard 5-year contract rather than the 10 year contract that JT was pushing for. You never know what will happen in the future.

Out of interest, what is the guarantee that is written into his contract?

Archived