JT Pledges To Respect Referees

Lofty

From BBC Sport:

Chelsea captain John Terry has promised to give his full support to the Premier League plan to promote better player behaviour towards referees ...

.. and so on. A reasonable interview, in which JT makes all the right noises.

From the same article, JT was asked about the Manc's chances of carrying on from where they left off last season:

Looking ahead to the start of the Premier League season on Saturday, Terry questioned whether Manchester United would be able to replicate their success of lifting both the Premier League and Champions League titles.

"I don't think United have another level to go to," said Terry. "They had a lot of players in their team who have been at the peak of their form for the last two years.

"Rio Ferdinand has been awesome for the last two years and Cristiano Ronaldo was unbelievable - I don't think you'll see that again.

"Wayne Rooney, Carlos Tevez, Ryan Giggs - they have all been fantastic. With the injuries we've had, as players we can all raise the bar a little bit.

"With it being that close in the Premier League and Champions League, they know we'll give them a big run for their money.

"I think we can close the gap because Man Utd were at the very top of their game last season.

"I'm taking nothing away from them because they've been unbelievable over the past two years.

"But we've been very close to them and we had injuries and a change of manager."

Just a reminder, in case anyone needs it, of just how much luck they had last season - everything, but everything went their way.

From BBC Sport:

.. and so on. A reasonable interview, in which JT makes all the right noises.

From the same article, JT was asked about the Manc's chances of carrying on from where they left off last season:

Just a reminder, in case anyone needs it, of just how much luck they had last season - everything, but everything went their way.

He's not the only one who thought that.......I was waiting for us to change to top gear but when we did we had about 3 games left. and lost the big one by an inch and a slip

I realy hope we can take the lead on the whole 'respect' thing this year. Cringe every time I see the Ashley Cole incident...and the fact that others do similar is no excuse. I want us to be better...actually I want us to be the BEST!

As for the season start, I get a really good vibe about the feeling within the squad this time. I think Scolari really has come in and got everyone on message. Can't wait for it all to START!

My only concern about the coming season is that the players don't have the feeling that they're going to win without giving it everything and a bit more. We had problems last year and came within a cat's whisker, that doesn't mean if we don't have the same problems this year we'll win it easily!

That said I think we'll win the league this year.

My only concern about the coming season is that the players don't have the feeling that they're going to win without giving it everything and a bit more. We had problems last year and came within a cat's whisker, that doesn't mean if we don't have the same problems this year we'll win it easily!

That said I think we'll win the league this year.

This whole respect thing is a bit too far really. Walking out with falgs saying 'respect' and the good-will prematch handshake are where the PC brigade are trying to influence the masses.

I understand the game needs to clean it's act up a bit, but I think this is done by no nonsense referee's. If you know the ref isn't going to take any nonsense, then don't argue with him. Callina doesn't get chased around the pitch, he just flashes those scary eye's, job done! If you do cross the line you go in the book, and the ref turns round and say's 'OK anyone else want some?' The players will soon get the message.

Waving flags is all well and good, but as soon as that whistle goes, all the good will in the world and 'respect' to your fellow pro's (or as I still like to call them, opponants!) goes straight out the window.

Get rid of the 'celebrity' ref' and bring back ref's with balls, it's the only way.

Get rid of the 'celebrity' ref' and bring back ref's with balls, it's the only way.

i agree completely. refs like clattenburg, rennie, webb etc seem to think the game is all about them. clattenburg especially now winds me up, with his theatrical flourish of the card or his deep in though look when waiting for players to get to him. some of them need to earn respect, thats not to say all refs are like this though.

Archived