Chelsea sign Bruno Alves?

Carvalho free to join Inter

The way for Ricardo Carvalho to join Inter has apparently been cleared as Chelsea have reportedly signed his replacement, Porto centre-back Bruno Alves.

The news comes after Alves' father, Washington, told the English Press his son will definitely be leaving Portugal this summer.

“By now there are no doubts he will leave Porto. The player is happy now, because he is under contract, but the moment of the great leap has arrived,†he said.

Chelsea are said to have paid around £24m for Alves, who despite a horrible performance against Manchester United in March, remains a highly regarded centre-back.

Should Alves' move to Stamford Bridge become official, Carvalho will be surplus to requirements.

The 31-year-old Portugal international is a known Inter target.

Last week, Massimo Moratti told La Gazzetta dello Sport he is doing everything to reunite Carvalho with Jose Mourinho.

Carvalho is one of Mourinho's main disciples, having played under him at Porto and Chelsea.

He is wanted to address Inter's problems at centre-back.

Channel 4 Italia

This headline prompted me to start the thread: Chelsea sign Bruno Alves for £24m

He isn't 31 - that article is wrong - he is probably about 26. However he is a totally unecessary signing and I hope the article is wrong.

Checked wikipedia. He is 27 it seems. We wont do too badly with Terry, Alex, Ivanovic and Mancienne. But I wont mind this tranfer if and only if Mancienne's chances of breaking into the first team are not affected.

But 24 million would be a big waste of money if he is to be our backup.

Edited by kalpitv

It's Carvalho that's 31, not Alves!

And where is there a quote saying about Chelsea? All it says is that Ales is leaving Porto.

The other link that I have provided has it all jumbled up. Not the one I quoted.

However, this is clearly stated:

Chelsea are said to have paid around £24m for Alves, who despite a horrible performance against Manchester United in March, remains a highly regarded centre-back.