It's time for a youth movement

BrewCrew
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

It is time. There are too many aging geezers on this team that get too much playing time. Ballack is only good for when there is a fight. He contributes nothing to the game. Deco and Joe Cole are washed up. Lampard only scores on penalties. The older defenders aren't cutting it either. None of these older players CREATE CHANCES. They just move around and take up space. Somebody like Kakuta has to play much more. He creates tons of chances. Sturridge comes in the game today and instantly creates chances. It is time to start playing young guys like this and Matic. Also, we have to go out and buy some young midfielders. Some guys that can go past somebody, not just stop and pass the ball backwards like Lampard, Ballack, Deco, and Joe Cole.

Ah yes, the younger players are not capable of sideways passing and losing possession. In fact we should start Mikel every game! I do agree that Studge and Matic warrant more playing time, though, and Borini as well. I agree with what loz said in the MOTM topic that Kalou has in no way merited a starting place when Borini and Sturridge have played so well lately.

And what's wrong with an ageing geezer? ::ChELSeAFaN::

A thought occured to me on the way home from work. Good manager will always look incompetent. If a manager is playing a young player the right amount of time and in the right situations, he will be accused of underplaying that youngster simply because he is getting them on at the right time so they perform well.

I'm as happy as anyone to see some good young talent in the Chelsea ranks, but I really think people forget that you can play youngsters too soon. It's a tough physical league the Premiership, playing a kid too early can result in loss of confidence that they may never get over or injury to a young underdeveloped body.

I think Ancellotti has had things about right so far when it comes to playing the kids. I hope he doesn't over-do Wenger style.

Another thing to keep in mind is the likes of Kakuta, Borini and Matic are far better than anything thats come out of the youth system in recent years under managers such as Mourinho. Pointing the finger and saying "you didn't play the kids" is pointless when the best youngsters we had was Scott Sinclair who is probably not going to make it at Chelsea.

Is it just me or does the romantisism attached with bringing a youngster through the ranks at the club cloud peoples judgement about how hard it is specially at a club like Chelsea. I'd love someone to go through all our team line ups since 2000 and see how many of the young players who were actually blooded and played senior footy made it at club or at any of the Premiership clubs for that matter, you'd probably be shocked at how few do make it despite showing alot of promise.

Edited by Guest

It is time. There are too many aging geezers on this team that get too much playing time. Ballack is only good for when there is a fight. He contributes nothing to the game. Deco and Joe Cole are washed up. Lampard only scores on penalties. The older defenders aren't cutting it either. None of these older players CREATE CHANCES. They just move around and take up space. Somebody like Kakuta has to play much more. He creates tons of chances. Sturridge comes in the game today and instantly creates chances. It is time to start playing young guys like this and Matic. Also, we have to go out and buy some young midfielders. Some guys that can go past somebody, not just stop and pass the ball backwards like Lampard, Ballack, Deco, and Joe Cole.

Yes. Let's be more like Arsenal.

Seriously though. It would be crazy to throw out experience unless you are prepared to finish mid table or worse for a few seasons - then the kids won't be kids anyway and it will be time to ship them out.

A good team needs a balance. At the moment I would say we are just on the wrong side of the line although I think we can get away with it for this year. Going forward we do need to see some younger players emerge and to be fair to Ancelotti we are starting to see him give few of them a taster.

Your analysis of the players above is so far off the mark it's unreal. Most of the problems we have faced this season have been caused by dodgy defending and not a lack of goals or even creativity in the midfield. We have scored plenty and played very well at times. We have struggled against some teams when they have been really organised and determined but that's true of every top team. Looking around I don't think I'd be swapping any of our midfielders for players from Liverpool, Arsenal or Man U's midfields (Fabregas aside)

A team that is top of table and has won all three matches against it's top rivals and you want to dismantle it and play a load of kids? Just because we lost a game and are in a bit of a sticky patch? Knee jerk reaction.

We have struggled against some teams when they have been really organised and determined but that's true of every top team. Looking around I don't think I'd be swapping any of our midfielders for players from Liverpool, Arsenal or Man U's midfields (Fabregas aside)

A team that is top of table and has won all three matches against it's top rivals and you want to dismantle it and play a load of kids? Just because we lost a game and are in a bit of a sticky patch? Knee jerk reaction.

Couldn't agree more, to be honest.

Also when Ancelotti says he doesn't want to buy players in Jan, that's understandable too. We are unbeatable when we play with confidence. Fair enough if the transfer ban is upheald, most our 1st team will be on the wrong side of 30 when its expired, and we do need younger players to replace them, but if we spend a crap tonne of cash now, and upset the balance of the squad, that's not going to help either. Kakuta, Borini & Matic will be great players by then, and Essien and Joe Cole will still just under 30, so no, its not time for overhauling the team with young players

I dont agree that we should overhaul the playing squad and awash it with youngsters. I dont think any of them are ready to be regular first teamers, however I do think Matic, Borini and Sturridge deserve a bit more playing time especially when the likes of Kalou and Deco keep getting picked up regularly. Kalou does not deserve a place in the team full stop.