The Who, What, Why and Wherefore of the Transfer Market

Dorset

So that’s it then, is it? Another close season of transfer speculation meanders on and, with the Media linking our club to everyone in sight, all we’ve ended up with so far is Yossi Benayoun and a load of fresh faced kids who’ve been promised some first team football by a doting coach who never gives much away at the best of times. Still, tempus does fugit and the ‘we-must-buy-someone-QUICK’ brigade (treated with condescension in the early days) have now emerged from an equally patronising middle term to shout long and loud again the names of favourites and how ‘we must-buy-[Torres, Suarez, Ozil, Schwiensteiger, Balotelli etc] ‘but-now-within-a-reasonable-time-span’, or at least before Citeh scoop ’em all up in what the Daily Mail would no doubt call ’a massive statement of intent’.

To be honest, these names crop up at such a giddying pace I’m not even sure if Dzeko is still available, or if Aguero is still alive, and such is the level of misinformation surrounding the transfer market at the moment it is difficult to know whether you are coming or going, never mind the players themselves. Indeed, here’s a question for you…has any club put in a bid for Aguero yet and, if not, why the hell not?? Is there some sort of embargo on any approach being made for this guy? Has he priced himself out of the market with supposed wage demands that mean nobody, not even somebody from Abu Dhabi, is going to touch him with a bargepole? That said, maybe we are the only club [reputedly] to think him as half decent and all the rest have long since stepped back from the brink of even a tentative enquiry because he‘s going to cost a lot and they don’t rate him up there with the likes of Silva, Villa, or, in United’s case, that Mexican Hernandez.

Talking of United, at least we haven’t been reduced to the embarrassing level of ‘an advertising campaign’ approach, as Inter President Massimo Moratti described it when they bid £29million for Sneijder - a declared interest that brought a quick snub (yes SNUB) from a player already on better wages and winning trophies galore. Let’s hope that, if we ever get around to testing the market, it isn’t mere grandstanding and it turns out to be a genuine effort. Not that I’m holding out much hope anymore. Nope, I’m firmly on the side of those who want to see the youngsters brought through, even to the point of edging Yossi out of a first team place, should he have ever been offered one. Like Carlo said, we don’t need another striker, but then again he also told us Joe wasn’t leaving. Also, correct me if I’m wrong here, wasn’t Bruma one of the five kids named as being on the verge of first team action this season? So, where are we supposed to stand on his possible loan spell at Wolfsburg?

I’ll tell you where we stand. We’re either in the camp that wants to see the squad freshened up with a couple of big name signings [Aguero and Ozil will do] so that a blockbuster attempt can be made on all fronts this season, or we are over in the other camp with those who are prepared to run things close again, maybe even forgo a trophy or two, by relying on the kids being introduced [van Aanholt, Hutchinson, Bertrand, Matic, Kakuta and Borini] and risking the consequences. Of course, you could also have a dainty foot in both camps and, as Shakespeare would put it, bestride them both by welcoming a big signing, if and when one arrives, whilst at the same time appreciating the need to see the Academy producing the goods and the young lads being given a chance. However, this can be a bit of a balancing act at times, such as when Bruma is reported as being hived off to Germany, instead of gaining Premiership experience, in what could easily turn out to be a rerun of the Stoch loaning exercise…hmmm, it’s all good experience, isn’t it?

Anyway, enough of trying to take [a different] stock of it all, especially when there is still some way to go before the summer transfer window closes and there’s a lot more that probably isn’t going to happen between now and the West Brom game. In truth, it only feels as though I’ve wanted us to sign Aguero since he was in nappies and G4 was in raptures, but in reality we’re like as not both better off with our feet firmly in two camps waiting to jump either way as soon as someone lights a small fire in Roman’s pocket or, as The Who once put it, the kids are alright.

definately got my not so dainty feet in both camps on this 1! weve lost ballack j cole belleti, prob deco, maybe carvalho n ferreira. thats 6 1st team players. i feel the biggest problem wit our team last year in europe was in the final third. so y wudnt we sign 2 players good enough to command a starting role, aguero/pato/torres n ozil/hamsik/gourcuff. then take a punt on young player that could be the next big thing neymar/balotelli/lukaku/hazard. that wud leave 3 places for the youth team step up, bruma, van aanholt, mancienne, kakuta. in a perfect world n we signed aguero, ozil n neymar id be happy for kalou to be sold n di santo n sturridge to be farmed out on loan. but when i say on loan i dont mean like the stoch situation cause id hav rather kept him n gave him the appearances yossi wil be gettin.

I’ll tell you where we stand. We’re either in the camp that wants to see the squad freshened up with a couple of big name signings [Aguero and Ozil will do] so that a blockbuster attempt can be made on all fronts this season, or we are over in the other camp with those who are prepared to run things close again, maybe even forgo a trophy or two, by relying on the kids being introduced [van Aanholt, Hutchinson, Bertrand, Matic, Kakuta and Borini] and risking the consequences. Of course, you could also have a dainty foot in both camps and, as Shakespeare would put it, bestride them both by welcoming a big signing, if and when one arrives, whilst at the same time appreciating the need to see the Academy producing the goods and the young lads being given a chance. However, this can be a bit of a balancing act at times, such as when Bruma is reported as being hived off to Germany, instead of gaining Premiership experience, in what could easily turn out to be a rerun of the Stoch loaning exercise…hmmm, it’s all good experience, isn’t it?

I'll bring the marshmellows and yet another fantastic post/article Dorset.

Ive stated that at this point developing youth into potential first squad players should be prioritized over impact signings to win trophies. I wouldnt mind bringing in 1 or maybe even 2 big names, but only as long as they do not hamper our youths from getting chances (IE we move out a player if that position already has depth so our youths dont have to wait for 3-4 injuries in a position before they can get a game in).

Modern "dynasties" in the sport (Man U, Barca) usually have 1 thing in common, they brought in a fair chunk of their talent via youth systems r "kids". I think we are in the perfect position to create our own dynasty(actuall well on our way imo), all we have to do is place some faith in that approach and take the plunge. Their is no reward without risk, and in the long run I think the "youth policy" gives us the best risk/return ratio possible.

I'm in the "both camps" camp :)

We don't have a problem scoring in the EPL, as can be seen from the records we broke last season, but when push comes to shove in the Champions League we are still found wanting, as big blue says, mainly up front. So, yes, I think we need to make a couple of impact signings that will allow Carlo greater tactical flexibility to change things around as needed.

As far as I know, Bruma has already stated the Hamburg thing is only a rumor. With Riccy being linked with Madrid, it is likely, provided we don't pursue Alves, that he will get that much closer to playing. As a matter of fact, as previously stated, I am in two minds about allowing Riccy to leave. I think we need 4 CB's going into a season, and while Ivanovic can fill in as needed, we have no idea what Bossa's injury situation is. I supposed Paulo could fill in at RB and allow Ivan to move to CB as needed, so maybe a CB trio of JT, Alex and Bruma is sufficient.

Anyway, assuming Deco and Carvalho leave as expected, we're left with:

GK: Cech, Hilario, Turnbull, Delac

RB: Bosingwa, Ivanovic, Ferreira

LB: Cole, Zhirkov, van Aanholt

CB1: Terry (Ivanovic)

CB2: Alex, Bruma

CM: Lampard, Essien, Mikel, Matic

AM: Malouda, Benayoun, Kakuta

ST: Drogba, Anelka, Kalou, Sturridge, Borini

I still think the AM/deep forward position is one we could do to strengthen. And the more I think about it, the less I want Riccy to leave.

Cheers,

Butch

Butch, you're forgetting Hutchinson, who in my opinion is ready to be back up right back, possibly ahead of Ferreira depending on his performances in the pre-season. So if worst comes to worst, Ivanovic can slide in at center back and Hutchinson can go to right back. Then again, we also have Bruma who can play there, though admittedly he is better at center back. Then again, center back might not be a great position to have a youngster play in. I do think that the Bruma to Wolfsburg on loan deal would work out great. He gets playing time and it allows for other youngsters to get some playing time. I really just don't believe Bruma will get much time playing as a center back.

If you look at our rivals and compare their early off season action to ours City is obviously strengthened and L*v*rp**l. Reds not because of Cole but I think Roy's reds are lot harder to beat than Rafa's.

Ars*nal is not strengthened at all IMO. Chamakh wont hit 30 goals. As a matter of fact they are in the verge of slipping behind Spuds if they lose Fabregas. I don't see who can replace him. I wouldn't worry about Spuds as being our title rivals, they have possibly CL this year so it will hit their PL ambitions although they have a strong squad.

ManU hasn't made any big acquisitions and SAF earlier told they are not going to. Well who believes him? I dont. I think they will buy someone good. Maybe that Hernandez. Plus they have Rooney fit and ready from the beginning.

That in mind I think we are going to find one or two players and send some youngsters on loan. I'm hoping our 1 or 2 are like that Hernandez guy. Young but with experience in tough games. I've said it million times already Benayoun isn't going to cut it. It doesn't send a message to ManU that we mean business. We need someone who says "who needs Ballack, Cole and Deco, we have *blank*!!"

If you look at our rivals and compare their early off season action to ours City is obviously strengthened and L*v*rp**l. Reds not because of Cole but I think Roy's reds are lot harder to beat than Rafa's.

Ars*nal is not strengthened at all IMO. Chamakh wont hit 30 goals. As a matter of fact they are in the verge of slipping behind Spuds if they lose Fabregas. I don't see who can replace him. I wouldn't worry about Spuds as being our title rivals, they have possibly CL this year so it will hit their PL ambitions although they have a strong squad.

ManU hasn't made any big acquisitions and SAF earlier told they are not going to. Well who believes him? I dont. I think they will buy someone good. Maybe that Hernandez. Plus they have Rooney fit and ready from the beginning.

That in mind I think we are going to find one or two players and send some youngsters on loan. I'm hoping our 1 or 2 are like that Hernandez guy. Young but with experience in tough games. I've said it million times already Benayoun isn't going to cut it. It doesn't send a message to ManU that we mean business. We need someone who says "who needs Ballack, Cole and Deco, we have *blank*!!"

Arsenal isn't a question of signing any1 new, however they do retain some quality players. Nasri/Van Persie/ Fabregas/Walcott etc were out for a significant part of last year. If they can get most of these guys to stay fit for atleast 30 games, they will be very competitive in my opinion.

The thing which scares me this season is the reliance on Drogba. If Drogba suffers a Van Persie type injury, do u still believe we can win any trophies?

Our youth movement is great, however I think we are asking too much. Kakuta/Bruma/Van Aaholt etc all played less than 45mins for the whole EPL...can they replace Cole/Deco/etc?

Archived