Chelsea Ticket Prices

Myles_91

I know I will get a lot of stick, but I'm a Student (now living away from London) and have been quite bemused to find that we have seemingly scrapped Student Discount for Chelsea games. I'm not here to have a moan about being priced out, but £50+ for a home game is pretty hefty considering travel costs on top of that.

My flatmate is a Wolves Season Ticket holder and it seems for both home and away games they are offered Student Prices.

I had hoped to go to Stoke away but found out only Students under 18 (i.e not me) were entitled to cheaper ticket prices.

Last season (for home games) this was never a problem and tickets were priced at £35-£50 which was affordable for me as opposed to £50-70.

Would anyone suggest I write to Chelsea FC or is there just nothing I can do about it? I love the club but my Sky package is looking more and more appealing as the games go by :laugh2:

More to the point, does anyone now why student prices have been scrapped? People just abusing the system or just laziness and a way of making more money?

I am the same as you mate. They scrapped them at the start of this season. I think it probably was because of people abusing the system because i know you could renew your student membership without having to prove you were a student. The ticket prices are a joke anyway in my opinion. I know people will say compared to other clubs they are fair, but ticket prices accross most clubs are a joke.

I think you ought to write a letter to make them aware of how unfair it is, and also of how it makes them be compared unfavourably with other teams.

A student UNDER 18? That is what we used to call a schoolboy! OK I know that there are sixth form colleges where they call their customers students rather than pupils. Nonetheless, a student is somehow who studies! Someone who is at a Higher Insitute of Learning, previously known as a University!

What percentage of the people now entitled to call themselves "students" are under 17? 5% ? This is a cheap move on Chelsea's part. Even if it was because of people abusing it rather than for a profit making motive, it is a slap in the face for young fans, who though struggling to make ends meet would still spend a portion of their miserly pittance on a ticket for a Chelsea match.

And there must be other ways of curbing abuse that woud be more effective than a blanket crackdown on everyone over the age of 18!

They have ways of preventing abuse of season tickets - surely they can find a similar way of preventing abuse of student tickets.

You write a letter, Myles!!

I think you ought to write a letter to make them aware of how unfair it is, and also of how it makes them be compared unfavourably with other teams.

A student UNDER 18? That is what we used to call a schoolboy! OK I know that there are sixth form colleges where they call their customers students rather than pupils. Nonetheless, a student is somehow who studies! Someone who is at a Higher Insitute of Learning, previously known as a University!

What percentage of the people now entitled to call themselves "students" are under 17? 5% ? This is a cheap move on Chelsea's part. Even if it was because of people abusing it rather than for a profit making motive, it is a slap in the face for young fans, who though struggling to make ends meet would still spend a portion of their miserly pittance on a ticket for a Chelsea match.

And there must be other ways of curbing abuse that woud be more effective than a blanket crackdown on everyone over the age of 18!

They have ways of preventing abuse of season tickets - surely they can find a similar way of preventing abuse of student tickets.

You write a letter, Myles!!

Thanks for the advice Moi, will do :JC_doubleup:

Ticket prices are a disgrace, and i have to say that i have been priced out. Its annoying but with the club and the premiership "selling out" to sky tv, i`ve eventually come to terms with being an armchair/pub fan. Having 2 kids takes its toll on the old disposable income, and Chelsea had to go. Im not a total stranger to the bridge, and you still cant beat actually being at the match, but i genuinely feel fans who go are being fleeced. Football in general needs to look after its paying customers in these hard financial times, and some of the sacrifices fans make to afford their football are unbelivable. In a few short years the young`uns will be more independant so i could make a more permanent comeback, but ever changing kick off times and the lure of a better view in front of the telly may mean i dont bother.

I know how you feel mate

Even though I'm only 17 its a big difference from 1 season paying 15 pound a ticket to 52 quid

I did email them about the student discount being scrapped when renewing my membership but they just said theyd stopped it with no reason for this

Like moi said you should email them because the prices are ridiculous

I think there is only one good reason for this. And it is MONEY. Say if you have on average 5000 students attending to a game (£40 per ticket) or the same amount of adult (can be students as well of course) who pay £60 then the club would lose potential £100k per game. As well sell out most of our games anyway there is no point for those student prices. This is obviously club´s view. I am a student as well and enjoyed those prices during the previous seasons but studying a bit economics as well and it does make sense for the club to lose those student prices. As the club wants to make more money to compete with the others in the league, every penny helps.

I think there is only one good reason for this. And it is MONEY. Say if you have on average 5000 students attending to a game (£40 per ticket) or the same amount of adult (can be students as well of course) who pay £60 then the club would lose potential £100k per game. As well sell out most of our games anyway there is no point for those student prices. This is obviously club´s view. I am a student as well and enjoyed those prices during the previous seasons but studying a bit economics as well and it does make sense for the club to lose those student prices. As the club wants to make more money to compete with the others in the league, every penny helps.

No wonder you're disillusioned!

Hypothetically there is no way there would be 5000 students attending a game, the club surely know that. If you ask me it's just Bruce Buck and Gourlay doing everything they can to alienate sections of our support. I often find with away games in particular I am one of the youngest supporters.

Say for instance if a dad of two with children aged 14 and 16 wanted to take his kids to a game, he would only get concession for one of them and were talking about well into £150 on ticket costs alone, economically it may be right but morally I don't see how it can be?

I am more than willing to pay £50 to see us play Man Utd/Spuds/Arsenal/Scousers/Spammers but why on earth should a ticket to see Birmingham at home on a cold Wednesday night be priced at well over £50?

I'm not asking for prices to be altered or even lowered, just some acknowledgement that students/younger fans like myself would like to attend games without having to pay the same price as a working adult.

Say for instance if a dad of two with children aged 14 and 16 wanted to take his kids to a game, he would only get concession for one of them and were talking about well into £150 on ticket costs alone, economically it may be right but morally I don't see how it can be?

Dont get me wrong,as a fan, Im not supporting what the club does. But again if every dad was allowed to take all of his children to the game with a discount price, how much potential revenue would that cost to the club? Obviously it is wrong morally, but as I said, it´s a numbers game and the club just cannot do these kinds of ´favors´ to the supporters anymore. The ticket prices ARE already ridiculously high but as are our city rivals´. This is certainly nothing to do with Buck or Gourlay :D It´s just basic economics.The demand is much higher than the supply so the obvious thing for them is to put the prices up. Every single business would do that. Obviously it´s not the most popular thing in the supporters point of view. But they have to get their money somehow to survive. And unfortunately it´s us, the supporters who have to pay for it.

I'm also a student now living out of London and there is no way I can afford paying 50 odd quid for league games so these days the only games I'm able to get to are cup ones. Though I do go to a fair few away games where the atmosphere is of course always brilliant and a lot of the time tickets are around the 20 quid mark. Though like you say Stoke's was a bit of a disappointment. Now that they have scrapped the scheme there is no way they will go out of their way to being it back.

Archived