Hate filled games

alan'82

We all remember the first games we went to and also the cup finals,win or lose,but what about those games where the atmosphere was pure hate?.

For me spuds away in the 84-85 season sticks in the mind,flying bottles and old bill everywhere comes to mind.A bottle missed my head by 6 inches, but come what may, there was no way i was going to miss the match against those tossers.Unfortunatly the game was effected by the atmosphere,it wasn't a classic by any means,but my question is......what game sticks in your mind for a posionous atmosphere,(yes, you can include Millwall) .

Virtually all games against Tottenham, West Ham & Arsenal at the Bridge in the 70's and early 80's, and in the away games when Chelsea decided to turn up (rarely happened at West Ham).

Most away games in the 70's & early 80's, northerners (anyone north of Watford) didn't like Londoners taking mobs to their towns. Apart from the obvious big clubs, Birmingham, Stoke, Sheffield Wed, Sheffield Utd, Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesbrough & Forest were always up for it when we went there, though they rarely brought a mob to the Bridge. Cardiff, Plymouth, Pompey & both Bristol clubs could also be a bit tasty.

Millwall away in the 76/77 season was probably the most hate filled in my experience though - they certainly took umbrage when a small mob of us went in the CBL :D

I think the poisonous bit is down to personal animosity that a person might have/feel rather than reality in some cases. As mentioned above...

I f**king hated arsenal partly because they thought they were the kings of london. So the poisonous atmos bit might have been down to me hurling incessant abuse at them. I still do.

Stoke. They are still living in the past so if anyone is going on saturday keep your colours, if wearing, discreet etc...

Funnily enough I don't recall feeling threatened or even worried about our visits to WHL from the mid '80's to the all seater age. Possibly because the numbers we were bringing there back then. There were even loads of us milling around the ground when we didn't get an away allocation (building work) in 89/90. Millwall in '85 was nasty though. Me and three other Chelsea fans went to the old firm game in 1986 (day before the Full Members Cup Final) and the atmosphere was unreal with 15,000 Celtic fans in Ibrox. Plod had it pretty well sussed out around the stadium though. Had some fairly hairy moments up at places like Maine Road and Ayresome Park but I've never seen pure 'out for our blood' hatred like Newcastle away in 1982, I think. The geordies had got ambushed down in London earlier in the season and it seemed the whole bloody town was out to get us. Few geordies managed to get in our away section. They got pasted but a bigger worry was when the Gallowgate End invaded the pitch at the finish even though their team won. Coppers up there are never a cockneys mate when it's coming down on you either. Oh yeah, Upton Park in '81. Thousands of fans from both clubs locked out. Rival mobs wandering the area and it was bad luck if you crossed the path of the wrong one.

Edited by Bovis Messroom

• 2 weeks later...

Virtually all games against Tottenham, West Ham & Arsenal at the Bridge in the 70's and early 80's, and in the away games when Chelsea decided to turn up (rarely happened at West Ham).

Most away games in the 70's & early 80's, northerners (anyone north of Watford) didn't like Londoners taking mobs to their towns. Apart from the obvious big clubs, Birmingham, Stoke, Sheffield Wed, Sheffield Utd, Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesbrough & Forest were always up for it when we went there, though they rarely brought a mob to the Bridge. Cardiff, Plymouth, Pompey & both Bristol clubs could also be a bit tasty.

Millwall away in the 76/77 season was probably the most hate filled in my experience though - they certainly took umbrage when a small mob of us went in the CBL :D

i was in the first 50 into the cbl .... i think i was first across the pitch to the other end...

• 2 weeks later...