How are these superstars coached?

nonotnowjim

Having watched every game from the last 3 seasons from the comfort of my armchair (One of the perks of being posted overseas is that Abu Dhabi sports show all our EPL games live), and having had another frustrating afternoon watching us sneak a lucky win at wolves, one thing is becoming abundantly clear.

There is a lot of talk of systems, double pivots, pressing game, high lines etc, but for me all of these points are a little redundant because for some time now we have been systemically failing to do the simple things correctly. I would love to know what the coaches at our club are doing to earn their keep, because i honestly believe that some some basic coaching of these players would improve us immensely.

Passing: Our short passing is so so often too slow to reach the receiving player or to heavy for him to easily control it. Worse still is when we have a great chance of a swift counter only to see a key pass played behind the receiving player, slowing the whole move down. I acknowledge that mistakes will happen when playing at speed, but come on lads ( and coaches) , this is basic stuff. I see part time players and amateur 5 a side leagues play more accurate passes than us!

Crossing: An extension of passing....but oh dear, we are terrible at crossing. I would love to see stats to see the amount of successful crosses we make, but my perception is that we are one of the worst. I can honestly say that in my opinion we have nobody who can cross well with any regularity. Bossy and Ash, Rambo and Raul make some truly shocking attempts and Torres/Drogba often are out wide when they should be the ones in the box. Danny is playing on the wrong wing to be able to cross naturally and Mata/Flo Mo prefer to cut in. Do these players have training for this type of thing? If not, then they should!

Positioning: Take today's game as an example. How many times did Torres play a cheeky little through pass to set up a team mate? I can think of at least 5 occasions when he played people into decent shooting positions. Now guys. Take that play, and reverse the roles. That player playing you into shooting positions is the guy we spent 50 mill on to score the goals.

Vision: I lose count of the amount of times i scream in frustration that a player doesnt see a particular run of a team mate. Rambo, for all his energy and speed has very little vision to spot runs. Today again, Fernando played multiple give and goes, only never to re-recieve the ball into the space he had run into. Its not just Ramires either, Mata, Raul. Lamps, Bossy and Ash are all as guilty as the next. Come on guys, have a look up (and FORWARD) before you think about knocking it backwards or sideways.

Look forward to hearing your views....and AVB, if you are reading, i am available to come and give some crossing and corner kick lessons free of charge should you need my service. Because, i am 100% confident that me with my 5'7 high and wide frame am a better crosser than most of our players!

The vision thing is really frustrating as I have seen it time and time again. Today on several occasions I saw Torres running into space, even pointing where he was going, only to have Bosingwa stop and cut back. Te one two passes, which shouuld be basic, are not happening because the two in the one two often retains possession for too long.

I must admit to know nothing about football coaching,but a quality like vision is something I always thought a player either possessed or not & wasn't something that could be 'coached',(which if true,is a bit of a shame unfortunatly).

My biggest gripe so far this season is the lack of quality (& goals) from set peices, such as free kicks and corners.

I'm not to happy that Didier seams to 'claim' the right to take every free kick that's avaliable,like a playground bully & then deliver a shocking effort, only for the same senario to happen again & again,game after game.

Delivery from free kicks & corners needs to improve because simply put, it's a great source of goals,& the players that show the best promise in training,should get their chance in games,( & not automatically DD from 40yds!).

Having watched every game from the last 3 seasons from the comfort of my armchair (One of the perks of being posted overseas is that Abu Dhabi sports show all our EPL games live), and having had another frustrating afternoon watching us sneak a lucky win at wolves, one thing is becoming abundantly clear. There is a lot of talk of systems, double pivots, pressing game, high lines etc, but for me all of these points are a little redundant because for some time now we have been systemically failing to do the simple things correctly. I would love to know what the coaches at our club are doing to earn their keep, because i honestly believe that some some basic coaching of these players would improve us immensely. Passing: Our short passing is so so often too slow to reach the receiving player or to heavy for him to easily control it. Worse still is when we have a great chance of a swift counter only to see a key pass played behind the receiving player, slowing the whole move down. I acknowledge that mistakes will happen when playing at speed, but come on lads ( and coaches) , this is basic stuff. I see part time players and amateur 5 a side leagues play more accurate passes than us! Crossing: An extension of passing....but oh dear, we are terrible at crossing. I would love to see stats to see the amount of successful crosses we make, but my perception is that we are one of the worst. I can honestly say that in my opinion we have nobody who can cross well with any regularity. Bossy and Ash, Rambo and Raul make some truly shocking attempts and Torres/Drogba often are out wide when they should be the ones in the box. Danny is playing on the wrong wing to be able to cross naturally and Mata/Flo Mo prefer to cut in. Do these players have training for this type of thing? If not, then they should! Positioning: Take today's game as an example. How many times did Torres play a cheeky little through pass to set up a team mate? I can think of at least 5 occasions when he played people into decent shooting positions. Now guys. Take that play, and reverse the roles. That player playing you into shooting positions is the guy we spent 50 mill on to score the goals. Vision: I lose count of the amount of times i scream in frustration that a player doesnt see a particular run of a team mate. Rambo, for all his energy and speed has very little vision to spot runs. Today again, Fernando played multiple give and goes, only never to re-recieve the ball into the space he had run into. Its not just Ramires either, Mata, Raul. Lamps, Bossy and Ash are all as guilty as the next. Come on guys, have a look up (and FORWARD) before you think about knocking it backwards or sideways. Look forward to hearing your views....and AVB, if you are reading, i am available to come and give some crossing and corner kick lessons free of charge should you need my service. Because, i am 100% confident that me with my 5'7 high and wide frame am a better crosser than most of our players!

While I share your anguish and frustration, us armchair critics have a relatively easy time when it comes to vision. We have the benefit of a camera angle high in the air that gives us a wonderful view of the play and the players movement, unfortunately down at pitch level the players don't have that luxury and I always have wondered why the managers tend to stay on the touch line rather than be high up in the stands, althougth some managers such as Sam Allaydace used to sit up higher than field level at least. I am sure if they did that things might be corrected on the pitch sooner rather than later. In addition what appears to be acres of space surrounding the player on the ball it is in fact only a yard or two but the camera is deceptive, if you have played this game at any level above amateur, space and time is crucial and that's why I admire how players create their own space and time with quick feet to make that killer pass; that's the difference between a world class player and even a good pro. Also the player with the ball cannot always see the runs being made by other players, especially if they are 20 yards away as often opposing players are blocking their vision while we easily see it on TV and believe that the pass is easily executable.

In terms of crossing - It always frustrates me when players earning this kind of money cannot cross a ball, that's what they are paid to do although it may not be their primary function and that begs the question that since Robben and Duff left why we never went out and bought ourselves a 'true winger' like Walcott or Albrighton. Instead we are relying on full backs to get the job done...and yes it's frustrating that our primary strike force has to either come back and get the ball or go out wide to get it...I've never really worked that one out, what happened to the good old Centre Forward? Imagine if a team lined up as they did in the 60's...mmmm wonder what the result might be? Technically five forwards, three in midfield and two either side at the back.