Darren Wood

Mike Carefree

I remember everyone going through a phase of being quite horrid to one of our players..Darren Wood...I remember the times...I remember everyone following each other on hounding this guy even b4 he came onto the pitch..Even though i followed this proceedure myself, i cant really remember why..People i speak to remember giving him stick but dont really explain why...DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY

Now theres a blast from the past,Sharon Wood as he was once known as,wasnt the greatest of defenders,but definatly didnt deserve the stick he took from us,i think he was just the whipping boy when the team didnt play that well,but more often than not he wasnt the worst player on the pitch, and he always give 100% and id even go as far as to say id swap him for certain players we have now,and he wouldnt moan if the manager left him out,not like some players that we have now.........

Darren Wood was the 1980's version of Mikel!!!

For me, I remember resenting him being in the side when Hollins was manager, whilst our most talented players at the time - Nevin and Hazzard, were being left on the bench.

Needless to say, we got relegated!

• 3 weeks later...

A Right Back mainly - (insert Joke involving dressing room here)

I remember Darren Wood having a decent game against York City in 1985 or 86 in the Full Members Cup or League Cup game way up in Yorkshire. They were in the 3rd Division then if i remember rightly.

The rest of the team were sh*te - we got beat 1-0. Darren Wood got his tackles in and passed the ball to players wearing the same coloured socks - that really stood out for me that night.

Those moaning about the League performance against Liverpool after the FA Cup final this week should have seen that game we were dire bollocks all..

We got Stevie Clarke in a wee bit later - that helped resolve our Right Back problem.

A Right Back mainly - (insert Joke involving dressing room here)

I remember Darren Wood having a decent game against York City in 1985 or 86 in the Full Members Cup or League Cup game way up in Yorkshire. They were in the 3rd Division then if i remember rightly.

The rest of the team were sh*te - we got beat 1-0. Darren Wood got his tackles in and passed the ball to players wearing the same coloured socks - that really stood out for me that night.

Those moaning about the League performance against Liverpool after the FA Cup final this week should have seen that game we were dire bollocks all..

We got Stevie Clarke in a wee bit later - that helped resolve our Right Back problem.

actually.he played left back the last time i seen him play at the bridge, against notts forest when we lost 2-6.gary birtles hat trick and franz carr running amok.john hollins the manager,who makes avb look like a tactical genius

Edited by kevin o'kane

I remember everyone going through a phase of being quite horrid to one of our players..Darren Wood...I remember the times...I remember everyone following each other on hounding this guy even b4 he came onto the pitch..Even though i followed this proceedure myself, i cant really remember why..People i speak to remember giving him stick but dont really explain why...DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY

Seems to be a common thing among football fans, even at Chelsea.

The first time I noticed it was in the late 60's, when Peter Houseman got a large amount of stick, simply because was perceived to avoid tackling as opposed to the rest of the team who'd kick the sh*t out of the opponents. Houseman was a very talented winger, and the best crosser of the ball of his time, so the chants of 'Mary Houseman' were totally out of order. Funny, though!

actually.he played left back the last time i seen him play at the bridge, against notts forest when we lost 2-6.gary birtles hat trick and franz carr running amok.john hollins the manager,who makes avb look like a tactical genius

I remember that game - and Carr's performance in particular - very well, but my memory is of him terrorising young John Millar all game, not Darren Wood. Could be wrong, though.

Wood was an average player who never lived up to the hype he had at Middlesbrough ("best young player since Duncan Edwards etc").

Yeah BLUEBEARD . IT was sad Peter houseman took such stick..He was a quiet bloke that did a good job for us....I remember the Shed Chanting TIGER TIGER GIVE US A WAVE to him, which he ignored, and was bood all over the place...Scored a goodun at wembley though...