Harry Roberts

Lofty.

Immortalised in the song from the seventies, he's due to be released in a few days. After all these years, the Police Federation are calling the decision to release Roberts: "a scandalous, hurtful and abhorrent decision which opens the door even further for those who have scant regard for law and order", while the Met are calling the decision "a betrayal of policing".

My take on this. He's 78 years old, he's been away for 45 years. That's Forty Five Years. Inside. He's hardly going to be a menace to society. Let him die at home.

Harry Roberts to be freed

Immortalised in the song from the seventies, he's due to be released in a few days. After all these years, the Police Federation are calling the decision to release Roberts: "a scandalous, hurtful and abhorrent decision which opens the door even further for those who have scant regard for law and order", while the Met are calling the decision "a betrayal of policing".

My take on this. He's 78 years old, he's been away for 45 years. That's Forty Five Years. Inside. He's hardly going to be a menace to society. Let him die at home.

Harry Roberts to be freed

Shame the plod aint so mouthy when child killers or murderers/terrorists are let out early.

The police feel as bad as the rest of us when those type of scum don't get put away for life.

I can understand what the police are saying but agree that he's effectively coming out to die at home. 

My dad used to join in with the song when we were at football, then tell me off if I sung it in front of my mum!  Confussing times for a young kid as there were no swear words and, "we all hate the old bill though don't we dad?"

See the police federation are already up in arms. I don't personally see the fact that they were coppers unfortunately killed as significant. They could have been butchers, bakers, out of work suspender belt fitters, can't see what difference their occupation makes. Ps as far as football fans go by far the most anti- plod bunch are Millwall. Can only think of four serious incidents where fans have really turned on OB, and they've been involved in two of them. Domestically that is

The government no longer respect our armed forces or our Police service this has reflected in derisory sentencing for similar crimes to Harry Roberts, if Harry had been sentenced today he would have received a much more lenient sentence.

So many years have passed since I used to sing the Harry song, he really has served his sentence.

I remember a pub near my way that became popular that was also near an old bill station. It was packed and there were about 10 off duty cozzers drinking when everyone started singing the Harry Roberts song. To say they had the hump is an understatement especially with the line ''Let him out to kill some more''. If the numbers were even they would have steamed in and then nicked everyone they could no doubt about it. I've talked to many publicans over the years who say the worse crowd especially in the 70's and 80's were off duty old bill on a leaving or stag do. They would help themselves to beer, the pub would stay open till they said so and a loads of stuff would get smashed.

Archived